[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Found a bug for you.

Its possible to over fill a container in the VAB. If you use the option to place it in the scene (so you can tweak it) and then drag it into the container, the container does not throw the the "over limit (+X)" message that it normally would if you where just dragging the part from the parts menu. Even if you don't modify the part.

It does on my machine. If I overfill the volume of a container in any way, it will tell me and refuse to overfill it.

I did, nothing happened. No sounds or anything - the cursor was still the hand and said "Grab" and everything. If nobody else has this issue of KIS not recognizing mouse clicks, then I will attribute it to my laptop and the fact that I need (want is a better word, I suppose) a new one.

Tell us exactly how you are trying to grab the part. Key presses, everything.

Tell us exactly how you are trying to grab the part. Key presses, everything.

Okay! I had a container with a small command pod and parachute attached via separator to a fuel tank and engine, flew it over to my fuel-less ship, staged the separator and parachute and landed the container 70m from the ship (with the command pod and parachute still attached.)

I EVA'd my engineer Kerbal over to the container, detached the parachute and command pod with the electric drill equipped using hot key G since kerbals can't grab a part that has other parts attached.

I transferred two of the four Oscar-B tanks to my kerbals inventory, then decided instead of trekking the fuel tanks from the container back to the ship, I wanted to pick up the container and take it over to the ship so I didn't have to run 70m back and forth four times.

I transferred the fuel tanks back into the container (so it has all four fuel tanks, as it originally did) and stood in front of it, drill un equipped (so the kerbals hands are empty) and held G to grab the container. The icon says "Grab," the container lights up green (as it always does when you mouse over a part) but when I left click, he doesn't grab it. I opened the kerbals inventory to drag it in his inventory, but the icon still says "Grab" and it's highlighted green. I move to all four sides, hold G, click in different spots on the part, but he never grabs it. I assume it should turn into the green "ghost" part, which I can place on the ground somewhere or transfer to my inventory but it doesn't.

I should note that the same thing happened when I detached the command pod and parachute - although eventually after zooming in and out and reorienting the camera, clicking in different spots they eventually do detach as they are supposed to.

I also experience this when drilling parts onto another part, but as I said, eventually they do attach.

Other mods installed are: MechJeb, HyperEdit, Kerbal Engineer, Near Future Propulsion, Near Future Solar, and the Endurance mod.

Upon on booting the game, I get a message that says MechJeb, KSPAPIExtensions and CrossFeedEnabler are out of date and may not work with 1.0.2. Perhaps one of these is the culprit?

Thanks in advance for the help!

It does on my machine. If I overfill the volume of a container in any way, it will tell me and refuse to overfill it.

I get the alert like you would expect if I drag the part from Part Menu > Container.

If I select the part & place it on the scene, then drag it from the scene to the container it will let me put it in there, even if the part was 3 times the size of the containers max volume :P

EDIT: NVM its an MKS bug lol. Sorry

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

Just came across the small bug with the external seats. I saw on Github its a known issue but when thinking it over this would be an issue for any small/transparent part.(LLL docking lights for example) They could end up getting lost easily. Might I suggest that any KIS icons have some kind of bevel or boarder so that even if there is no obvious icon, you still know something is there?

Good idea, I think changing background color of a cell that has an item is much easier in terms of coding than making an outline of parts.

The missing icon is related to a KSP bug, introduced since one of the latest release unfortunatly. You can check ingame and see that the tooltip icon in the vab are empty for the external seat.

I much prefer squad fixing this issue rather than taking time to implement something to fix it, so I'm waiting the next update of KSP.

I am having a problem - KIS seems to erase the open node of a radial attachment point after removing an attached part from it. See below picture: I removed the battery stack from the radial attachment node, but now it is impossible to reattach. I can attach the battery on another open node like the docking port (or on the battery on the other side), but not back to the original radial point. I could reproduce the bug with the radial node on the other side as well.

So I figured out the first question, getting an item onto the kerbal's back. But the second seems to be a bug.

If I set Equipslot = back for 2 items, I can still pull them both out of inventory and onto the kerbal, as if it isn't checking item slot "back"

If I detach one item and put it back on the kerbal and then try to detach the second one, it will tell me the item slot "back" is in use. So basically KIS doesn't seem to check when pulling from inventory.

Thanks for the report, I will take a look.

Question:

When I move items to and from inventory (left-hold mouse and drag), the Kerbal responds to the mouse as well by rotating, etc. Can KIS be modified to turn-off the Kerbal's behaviour? Or, is it something we just have to live with. Yes, I know that being on a ladder prevents this, but if I'm free-floating in space, then a ladder is not an option.

Unfortunatly, I can't do anything about that. Squad hard coded the mouse click to rotate the kerbal on eva.

EDIT : I'm working on a fix for KIS, currently if you attach a part from the inventory to another part and grab the same part after, you will get explosions.

Currently it broke my develop version of KAS so I need to fix this before KAS release.

Edited by KospY

Possible issue. I was using KIS last night to move a couple of solar panels around and add a Illuminator Mk II to a station I had in orbit around Minmus. I finished adding the light to an unmanned portion of the station and had the Kerbal return to the command pod. After the scene change, the fuel tank the light was attached to exploded. I have not tried to duplicate this, but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Possible issue. I was using KIS last night to move a couple of solar panels around and add a Illuminator Mk II to a station I had in orbit around Minmus. I finished adding the light to an unmanned portion of the station and had the Kerbal return to the command pod. After the scene change, the fuel tank the light was attached to exploded. I have not tried to duplicate this, but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Did you scan the thread at all? There is discussion on this topic on the previous page.

So i have a theoretical question - not able to test this now.

I have an item like this:

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (-0.0, 0.50, -0.25)
evaPartDir = (0,1,0)
attachNodeName = wheelmount
customGroundPos = true
dropPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, 1.00)
dropPartRot = (0.0, 1.0, 0.0)
bayType = RoverWheel
bayNode = wheelmount
bayRot = (-1.0, 0.0, 0.0)
storable = true
storedSize = 8
}

To Convert it to KIS do you have to use both ModuleKISItem and ModuleKISPickup instead of the above KASModuleGrab or will it work with just one of them ?

Specifically i am concerned about the attachNodeName = wheelmount part where it defines the attachment point here specifically - can attachNodeName be used in a KIS definition or is it KAS-Only ?

What i am trying to do is to make this part stackable inside the KIS containers without loosing the rest of functionality (these are wheels from ASET PRC Rover pack)

Upon on booting the game, I get a message that says MechJeb, KSPAPIExtensions and CrossFeedEnabler are out of date and may not work with 1.0.2.

Sidebar: the released version of MJ2 is wonky with KSP 1.0.2. Use the dev version #453. Works fine and no out-of-date message. Concerning KSPAPIExtensions...one of your mods is loading an old version.

Edited by Apollo13

Dimenus

Hold G (or whatever you set your KIS grab key to) to change to the grab interface, leftclick and hold on the solar panel, drag to your inventory without releasing the mouse button until it is in your inventory. X is not required for this, but a screwdriver (or wrench if the panel is small enough) is. If the panel is too large you may need multiple Kerbals there, but the extras do not need tools, they just need to be close.

Once you have it in hand (mouse) it will be an icon, if the icon vanishes then you didn't hold leftclick and it has gone into drop/attach mode. You can then drop it, attach it, or cancel with escape and try again.

That's what I wasn't doing. I wasn't HOLDING G. Many thanks.

To Convert it to KIS do you have to use both ModuleKISItem and ModuleKISPickup instead of the above KASModuleGrab or will it work with just one of them ?

Specifically i am concerned about the attachNodeName = wheelmount part where it defines the attachment point here specifically - can attachNodeName be used in a KIS definition or is it KAS-Only ?

What i am trying to do is to make this part stackable inside the KIS containers without loosing the rest of functionality (these are wheels from ASET PRC Rover pack)

Unless you want to do something special, such as making an item stackable, you don't need to include a ModuleKISItem module def in the cfg. Such is the beauty of KIS over KAS.

I wanted to make a USI Life Support item stackable. This is the MODULE I inserted into the part.cfg file:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
shortcutKeyAction = drop
usableFromEva = true
usableFromContainer = true
usableFromPod = false
usableFromEditor = false
stackable = true
volumeOverride = 0
editorItemsCategory = false
}

This allows me to stack an item, grab it, and stick it to the side of a vessel (srfAttach) from EVA.

I don't know anything about the attachNodeName parameter.

Edited by Apollo13

I have an item like this:

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (-0.0, 0.50, -0.25)
evaPartDir = (0,1,0)
attachNodeName = wheelmount
customGroundPos = true
dropPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, 1.00)
dropPartRot = (0.0, 1.0, 0.0)
bayType = RoverWheel
bayNode = wheelmount
bayRot = (-1.0, 0.0, 0.0)
storable = true
storedSize = 8
}

You shouldn't need ModuleKISPickup. You only need ModuleKISItem to set it stackable and potentially adjust the storage size.

That attachNodeName = wheelmount in KASModuleGrab was widely used as it was only known way to make nodes snap while KIS gives you this possibility for any part and any node (just hit R to choose node to snap) so you just want to rearrange attachment nodes sometimes. For stackability, ground attachments, volume override and other special application you have to use KIS modules.

Happens only if your attached part was intersecting another one. Pick your places carefully and always quicksave.

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciate the feedback for whatever reason it seems overly sensitive. Attached 4 - 5 parts fine in version 1.1.1 attempting the same after updating to 1.1.2 just results in the ship failing apart. Regardless of location and item used. Not sure if the version change has effected it.

Appreciate the feedback for whatever reason it seems overly sensitive. Attached 4 - 5 parts fine in version 1.1.1 attempting the same after updating to 1.1.2 just results in the ship failing apart. Regardless of location and item used. Not sure if the version change has effected it.

Can you provide your log file ? What part did you try to attach ? What is the target part too ?

Edited by KospY

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but how do I detach a rover/probe after building it. I tried using decouplers/seperators both from KIS inventory and pre-attached, and it allows me to stage but the craft does not detach. The game registers that it is now a seperate craft, but it remains attached.

HotSandwich, I use small inline decouplers and all works fine for me. Only problem I have is that used up decouplers can't be recharged. The best solution would be docking ports but it looks like kraken likes to live there. (Not checked in latest KIS)

Inline decouples/seperators did not work for me, and docking ports did not work either, didn't even register the probe as a different craft after undocking. Going to try radial decouplers when I get home.

Is anyone else having a problem where you have a part with ModuleAnimateGeneric on it and also have the KIS container on the same part if you toggle the part with ModuleAnimateGeneric on it the craft it was a rover but it flips over and comes apart there isn't anything showing in debug screen ?

EDIT- Ok found it's JSI PartUtilities doing this just to let you know.

Edited by Mecripp2