[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Am I stupid or is there not a way to put parts back in your inventory? I've got attached solar panels that I'm trying to put back in my inventory so I can EVA around and put them on another ship.

Are the Panels too large for inventory, e.g., greater than 300L, if there are other things in it?

I believe the process would be that you need an Engineer Kerbal with an equipped tool (electric screwdriver or wrench), hold X to be using the tool, click over the solar panel to detach, then drop into inventory (may need to click and hold). I know that what you're explaining is possible with KIS.

You do not need to be an Engineer to put stuff into inventory. However, ONLY Engineers can attach/detach items to surfaces. And, as mentioned above, don't hold the X key to store.

Dimenus

Hold G (or whatever you set your KIS grab key to) to change to the grab interface, leftclick and hold on the solar panel, drag to your inventory without releasing the mouse button until it is in your inventory. X is not required for this, but a screwdriver (or wrench if the panel is small enough) is. If the panel is too large you may need multiple Kerbals there, but the extras do not need tools, they just need to be close.

Once you have it in hand (mouse) it will be an icon, if the icon vanishes then you didn't hold leftclick and it has gone into drop/attach mode. You can then drop it, attach it, or cancel with escape and try again.

How can i attach a non-radial engine ("Ant") to capsule's bottom node? It says "This node cannot be used for surface attach". I'm using a wrench, and mini-solars are attaching just fine.

Edited by ACCount

Suggestion:

Currently, to drop something that I've detached, I need to point at a surface, then left-click; the part is released and unattached. My suggestion: allow me to just release the part without requiring that I point at a nearby surface.

Question:

When I move items to and from inventory (left-hold mouse and drag), the Kerbal responds to the mouse as well by rotating, etc. Can KIS be modified to turn-off the Kerbal's behaviour? Or, is it something we just have to live with. Yes, I know that being on a ladder prevents this, but if I'm free-floating in space, then a ladder is not an option.

I assembledthe little probe on the docking port's node as a possible experiment to leave in orbit. Only thing here is that now i can't decouple it.

So what would solve this... would a decoupler or a stack separator be better ?

HTrF60m.png

I assembledthe little probe on the docking port's node as a possible experiment to leave in orbit. Only thing here is that now i can't decouple it.

The decouple option should still work, I've used this trick many times :

FQDQAFU.jpg

- tested just now with KIS as the only mod. I see from your screenshot a lot of mods present, I suspect one of them (or a conflict) is blocking it. In any case, clearly not a KIS issue. I suggest starting the investigation with any of the other mods you have loaded that have an effect on docking or docking ports. Good luck :)

1.1.1 bug report:

In laggy conditions (at least, not sure about otherwise) it is possible to grab an item which has other things attached to it, and to drop/move/whatever it, resulting in catastrophic failure as everything which was attached to the item is suddenly free falling and more than likely colliding with everything it can shake its atoms at.

How this occurred- I was quickly removing batteries from said object, and one of the grabs ended up being that object. Everything exploded.

Update: Bug is very easy to produce. Argh. ;.;

Edited by Szara

... and we have a result \o/

>> AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'UIPartActionsExtendedRegistration_1_7_2_0' from assembly 'KSPAPIExtensions'

You have an old version of the KSPAPIExtensions DLL there which I think was accidentally included with the previous (0.21.1) version of infernal robotics... You need to update to the latest IR bundle that includes the correct version of the DLL for KSP 1.02

That will almost certainly resolve your problem.

And it did! Thanks for the help.:)

The wrench really, really should be in the Engineering 101 node so you can start using KIS a little sooner in the game, besides-- the node Icon for the node is even a wrench!

Works like a charm, thanks for this great mod! Minor feature request, not sure if it is possible without major hacking: Disable the EVA-pack kerbal rotation on drag&drop mouse movementes as long as at least one inventory window is opened. Currently, drag&drop to put stuff back into inventory sends kerbals spinning when they have the jetpack active.

Sorry for being stupid and lazy, but can someone give me a simple step-by-step receipt to convert an old KASModuleGrab to <whatever the KIS equivalent is>? I just want a part to stick on the back exactly like it did before, please.

I tried to follow the wiki info here, but my brain died once I got to equipBoneName, because I have no idea what this means. KIS seems to be powerful, but it is a bit too complex for simple minded me :)

Sorry for being stupid and lazy, but can someone give me a simple step-by-step receipt to convert an old KASModuleGrab to <whatever the KIS equivalent is>? I just want a part to stick on the back exactly like it did before, please.

I tried to follow the wiki info here, but my brain died once I got to equipBoneName, because I have no idea what this means. KIS seems to be powerful, but it is a bit too complex for simple minded me :)

something like this will work for most parts:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
editorItemsCategory = false
equipable = true
equipSlot = jetpack
equipMode = part
equipMeshName = jetpack_base01
equipBoneName = bn_jetpack01
equipPos = (0,0,-0.06)
equipDir = (0,0,0)
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
equipable = true
equipSlot = jetpack
equipMode = part
equipPos = (0,0,-0.06)
equipDir = (0,0,0)
}

Thank you this is just what I was looking for!

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
equipable = true
equipSlot = jetpack
equipMode = part
equipPos = (0,0,-0.06)
equipDir = (0,0,0)
}

Works like a charm, thank you!

Wow, this looks awesome! Very glad I stumbled upon it.

I can't wait to try to use it for air-dropping supply containers! I quickly tried the mechanics before work and it seems to play well. Only issue I had was once I "drilled on" a fuel tank to my ship and transferred the fuel, the game was a little buggy about detaching (un-drilling?) the fuel tank from the ship. I had to click in *just* the right spot.

Works like a charm, thanks for this great mod! Minor feature request, not sure if it is possible without major hacking: Disable the EVA-pack kerbal rotation on drag&drop mouse movementes as long as at least one inventory window is opened. Currently, drag&drop to put stuff back into inventory sends kerbals spinning when they have the jetpack active.

I agree (see my post #754).

SirJodelstein: there's your solution right there: turn off the jetpack when dragging and dropping :)

Turning off the jet pack is not a good idea. You'll drift away. You have to turn it back on to place yourself close to container or part you're installing. I've tried turning off jet pack several days ago, only to start drifting.

Edited by Apollo13

How can i attach a non-radial engine ("Ant") to capsule's bottom node? It says "This node cannot be used for surface attach". I'm using a wrench, and mini-solars are attaching just fine.

I finally figured out how to attach...the manual does not help very much.

I still cannot get items to go back into inventory? Is there a trick to it?

What is the difference between equipable and carriable in the cfg file? I have already read the wiki, it does not answer my question.

Edited by Smurfalot

Just an FYI, installed FAR and ModularFlightIntergrator, and this caused serious VAB errors with KIS when trying to load craft files

This is unconfirmed at best, misleading, and potentially dishonest at worst. Please provide evidence f your claim. logs and reproduction steps at a minimum. Thank you. As counter evidence I have used all three plus a crap ton more mods with no issues.