[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Minor bug report: For the explosives, the equip slot is set to left hand, but the explosives show up in the right hand. I fixed it by copying over the position values from the user guide part.

Also, is it possible to make it so that explosives don't need a drill to be attached? It doesn't seem like you need to be mechanically inclined, it's just slapping on what is apparently a GTA 5 sticky bomb. :sticktongue: Also, it would be awesome if the timer and/or explosion radius were tweakable.

So I have 2 questions, that may be related, and both involve a similar type of scenario. Both are things that act differently from KAS. So I don't know if they are a bug, future feature or a deal with it type of thing.

Also this has been things I have specifically been testing with inflatable modules from Roverdude's MKS mod, namely the MKS inflatable habitat.

First, I liked the idea of having the part carried on the kerbals back, much like in KAS. It is too large to fit in the Kerbal's inventory, which was adressed with the carriable = true in the config. That worked fine. But when I set the variable to Physic it tries to put the item on the kerbal's back, but due to collisions hilarity ensues. Namely the kerbal and the part go flying. But afterwards the part is lying on the ground, while the kerbal's inventory still shows it is being carried. So this option doesn't work too well. I gave up for now and set the part back to "part" for Equipmode and the part can be "carried" and just doesn't show.

Second, when these parts are attached, they show up during the process in their inflated form, rather than deflated form. Additionally it seems to take into account the inflated form when figuring out collisions. To explain, when I attach the part it attaches deflated. But if the Kerbal was standing right in front of the part where they would be colliding with the part in its inflated form, it treats it like there was a collisions, causing the craft to go flying. This can be averted by making sure the kerbal is off to the side so he is not colliding with the ghosted model during attachment, but it is easy to forget and cause issues.

Like I said, I don't know if these are fixable or even available to be addressed. Either way it isn't the end of the world but I figured I would ask.

Also, is it possible to make it so that explosives don't need a drill to be attached? It doesn't seem like you need to be mechanically inclined, it's just slapping on what is apparently a GTA 5 sticky bomb. :sticktongue: Also, it would be awesome if the timer and/or explosion radius were tweakable.

KospY will be adding a new option in ModuleKISitem and other modules which will allow chosen parts to be attached without tools.

Appreciate the feedback for whatever reason it seems overly sensitive. Attached 4 - 5 parts fine in version 1.1.1 attempting the same after updating to 1.1.2 just results in the ship failing apart. Regardless of location and item used. Not sure if the version change has effected it.

Do you also have JSI PartUtilities installed that was a problem, I was having and changed JSI PartUtilities back to a older Ver. and it stopped.

A quick question, can you use KIS to connect diferent ships together in order to transfer fuel in between them? I know it should be looking for KAS but it hasn't been updated yet and i want to get ground outposts going in my career.

A quick question, can you use KIS to connect diferent ships together in order to transfer fuel in between them? I know it should be looking for KAS but it hasn't been updated yet and i want to get ground outposts going in my career.

No,

KAS works in its current form aside from the compatibility warning popup.

KospY will be adding a new option in ModuleKISitem and other modules which will allow chosen parts to be attached without tools.

So awesome :cool:

(...) But when I set the variable to Physic it tries to put the item on the kerbal's back, but due to collisions hilarity ensues. Namely the kerbal and the part go flying. But afterwards the part is lying on the ground, while the kerbal's inventory still shows it is being carried. So this option doesn't work too well. (...)

Oh my, so much fun in such few sentences.

No,

KAS works in its current form aside from the compatibility warning popup.

So... are you saying the v.9 version of KAS will function in a v1.0.2 game? I've got a bunch of ships in my long term career mode that I haven't been able to copy into my v1.0.x game because of all the KAS items attached. I'll reload KAS into my GameSave file and give it a try.

So... are you saying the v.9 version of KAS will function in a v1.0.2 game? I've got a bunch of ships in my long term career mode that I haven't been able to copy into my v1.0.x game because of all the KAS items attached. I'll reload KAS into my GameSave file and give it a try.

That is what I am saying. Someone in the KAS thread some pages back from the current recompiled KAS so it not longer gives the warning as well. I have been enjoying my Pipe end points in 1.0.2

Please, please, please, please, please...

Would you kindly change the Rovemate into a large container? It's already hollow anyways... would be nice if it could serve a purpose.

Consider it?

~Steve

KIS attach function is very, very, broken. It needs to be fixed before this mod is ready fro prime time. I, too, just suffered the exploding parts syndrome multiple times. I attached the stock ladder onto a destination part. I was not near any other parts other than the destination part. About 10-15 seconds after attaching the ladder, the destination part blew up, throwing off other parts that were attached. Thank god for quicksave/quickload to restore the vessel.

So, why do attaching some parts cause explosions, yet others do not? I don't know. I'm trying to find the common denominator.

Much as I love the KIS containers, attach/detach need work.

Edited by Apollo13

Not only attaching, parts dropped into the ground explodes sometimes. I found that enabling "No Crash Damage" in cheats solves this so... maybe it could be programmed so when you grab something its "unbreakable" until, say, 5 seconds after you dropped/attached it?

Edited by eodh

KIS attach function is very, very, broken. It needs to be fixed before this mod is ready fro prime time. I, too, just suffered the exploding parts syndrome multiple times. I attached the stock ladder onto a destination part. I was not near any other parts other than the destination part. About 10-15 seconds after attaching the ladder, the destination part blew up, throwing off other parts that were attached. Thank god for quicksave/quickload to restore the vessel.

So, why do attaching some parts cause explosions, yet others do not? I don't know. I'm trying to find the common denominator.

Much as I love the KIS containers, attach/detach need work.

Does it happen in space or on the ground ? Can you try to drop the part first and attach it after ?

That mod dose not work... :( and it dose not use the inventory system.

I have been using it, so yes it does work with the current version. It does not need to use the inventory system the kerbal automatically has a parachute when they EVA...it is that simple.

Does it happen in space or on the ground ? Can you try to drop the part first and attach it after ?

For me a LOT of parts will invariably blow the hell up without warning when set on the ground, or set on it wrong. The flat board things, if left on the ground? BOOM. Ladders? BOOM. Landing gear, "upside down" girders, boom and boom.. haven't seen it happen in space myself, but maybe Apollo has.

Just adding my vote to the container debate. I like the old KAS containers as I have designed rovers that end up using the containers as the rover body so I can grab the container unpack the parts and attach them to the container and this is my rover.

Thus I would like to see the old KAS containers added to the KIS mod. I understand their inventory capacity would change etc. but the models themselves can be adapted to be used with KIS as the previous post on this topic outlined. I just do not want to see the models themselves removed, better to transfer them to KIS and keep them in the game.

For me a LOT of parts will invariably blow the hell up without warning when set on the ground, or set on it wrong. The flat board things, if left on the ground? BOOM. Ladders? BOOM. Landing gear, "upside down" girders, boom and boom.. haven't seen it happen in space myself, but maybe Apollo has.

The blowing up is a KSP thing, and has existed for as long as I've played it at least. Also happened when dropping items on the ground via KAS back in the day.

I've had a goo canister that broke off during splashdown (so no KIS used to put it down) explode when my EVA Bob swam near enough to grab it (or its science, in case it was too large)

Hi KospY,

Is it possible in KIS to change the context menu that we see for a part when a Kerbal is on EVA? For example when I equip a thermometer, I see the following right-click menu, which is what I would see if I am controlling a ship (not on EVA):

liFgFaQ.png

However, I would love to see the following menu, which is what I would see if I right-click a part while on EVA:

K9nB0Fu.png

Basically, I want to be able to log data and then store the data on my Kerbal through the context menu. Right now, I have to drop the part first before I can select "Take Data".

Here is the module I used for the thermometer, but really I'd like to see the EVA context menu for any part:

MODULE
{

[INDENT]name = ModuleKISItem[/INDENT]

[INDENT]shortcutKeyAction = equip[/INDENT]

[INDENT]equipable = true[/INDENT]

[INDENT]equipMode = part[/INDENT]

[INDENT]equipSlot = rightHand[/INDENT]

[INDENT]equipMeshName = body01[/INDENT]

[INDENT]equipBoneName = bn_r_mid_a01[/INDENT]

[INDENT]equipPos = (-0.08,0.02,-0.1)[/INDENT]

[INDENT]equipDir = (0,90,240)[/INDENT]

}

I, too, just suffered the exploding parts syndrome multiple times. I attached the stock ladder onto a destination part. I was not near any other parts other than the destination part. About 10-15 seconds after attaching the ladder, the destination part blew up, throwing off other parts that were attached.

In space. I also have the exploding parts when dropped to the ground; however, last time I dropped parts on the ground was in KSP 0.90 I also tried dropping the part (in space), then grabbing and attaching; same explosive result.

- - - Updated - - -

Just adding my vote to the container debate. I like the old KAS containers as I have designed rovers that end up using the containers as the rover body so I can grab the container unpack the parts and attach them to the container and this is my rover.

Thus I would like to see the old KAS containers added to the KIS mod. I understand their inventory capacity would change etc. but the models themselves can be adapted to be used with KIS as the previous post on this topic outlined. I just do not want to see the models themselves removed, better to transfer them to KIS and keep them in the game.

Ya know, you can do this yourself. Just take the KAS containers, remove the MODULE{} for KAS, and add the KIS MODULE{}. You're done! For instance, I wanted a smaller version of the KIS container. I simply copied the container CFG file, set Scale and Rescale to 0.70, adjusted the volume to 340L, the number of slots, and the costs, and renamed the part. Very easy.

Edited by Apollo13

I want to add another experiment to the right-click menu for kerbals.

In the MM thread I found a 2+years old post, that it was only possible via a plugin.

Now my question to you - and toadicus in his AntennaRange mod thread - as you change the EVA "part" with you mod, can you adept it to accept MM configs or use configs to further change the EVA menu?