[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Suggestion

You should consider adding small moons for planet with rings. In our solar system planet rings have "shepherd" satellites which orbit near the inner or outer edges of rings or within gaps in the rings.

I am also waiting for the other stuff you are working on.

I want a few more tbh, I was thinking of doing a small sub-mod for NH with just asteroids across the system to tie up all the loose parts like ring systems etc.....but I'm pretty hesitant of adding more planets. This mod is already pretty RAM hungry! What i was hoping was that other planet packs can fill the gaps with NH, once the new packs come out compatibility patches are pretty easy to make so they will be available in the OP

Are there any dmagic sciencedefs for this mod?

unfortunately no...I've had enough trouble with my own science defs, writers block is a pain in the ass! If anyone wants to help out with the science defs for Nh or compatibility with other mods send me a pm and I'll hit you up with all necessary files.

I like the clouds KillAshley, my only criticism would be that (like all other clouds on Kerbin) there is no open space above the space center, ever. You can timewarp for days and your guaranteed to fly through clouds. They are quite large on disk but I played with them a little and in game the memory usage is less than what I was using (maybe due to the ~700 lines less of implementation in the CFGs). I'm going to use them as a primary and add Astronomers auroras and go with that for a while, I will let you know if I see anything strange.

I'm not sure if i didn't install it correctly or something. But when i run it. It doesn't show KSC. It just shows the system. I can see the planets and stuff like that. But not anything but planets and empty space.

Do you have any idea of what I did wrong?

Hey there KillAshley,

I'm a tad confused by the latest download - what do I do with the @Resources@ folder? I fear to ignore it lest my shiz get rekt :blush:

(I'm still giggling at the name Titanus, btw.)

I'm not sure if i didn't install it correctly or something. But when i run it. It doesn't show KSC. It just shows the system. I can see the planets and stuff like that. But not anything but planets and empty space.

Do you have any idea of what I did wrong?

Not too sure really, can you try a fresh install? Delete everything in your gamedata folder apart from the squad folder and reinstall. If that doesn't work let me know!

Hey there KillAshley,

I'm a tad confused by the latest download - what do I do with the @Resources@ folder? I fear to ignore it lest my shiz get rekt :blush:

(I'm still giggling at the name Titanus, btw.)

the resources only matter if you play with Community Resource Pack mods....things like the USI mods/EPL etc etc....If you want them to appear the open the resources folder and inside is a GameData folder you merge into the directory as normal.

the resources only matter if you play with Community Resource Pack mods....things like the USI mods/EPL etc etc....If you want them to appear the open the resources folder and inside is a GameData folder you merge into the directory as normal.

Aha, thanks for the clarifier :) I'll bear it in mind if I do take on any other CRP mods!

So I'm slowly working out the next update for the mod, lots of new and exciting features to becoming in (hopefully). I'd like to see what you guys think and what else you suggest to make this as good as it can be.

Current changes already completed for next version:

• Nolas Overhaul
    • it always bugged me how nolas looked so bad, basically I remade it from scratch...and it's looking pretty sweet, just minor touch ups to finish off

[*]Texture resolution increases where needed (arin, titanus, etc.)

[*]Tidally locked Mun

[*]Tidally locked Dres, also vastly lowered it's eccentricity and slightly reduced its SMA

[*]Reduced Moh's eccentricity

Work on compatibility due to be released with the next update:

Resize support

• KScale2 (95% completed)
  • 3.7 (75% completed)
  • SKY (hoping it works properly with NH)
  • 64K (hoping it gets it's update released soon **fingers crossed**)

Planet Pack Support

• OPM
  • KerbolPlus
  • Trans-Keptunian
  • assorted combinations of the above
  • KerbolGalaxy
  • Any others I can find!

Other Plans

New Star

• All stars from poll will now be available optionally
  • orbits will be altered to make a realistic system

A reveal of something else that I've been slowly working on has been creating a procedurally generated minor bodies sub-mod, designed specifically for New Horizons. Adding in a ton of small asteroids and comets to fill the gaps where needed (and to add some exciting new areas to explore) all with a nice low memory impact so you can cram plenty of other mods in.

let me know any other ideas and/or feedback on what I've done/said so far.

Thanks!

A reveal of something else that I've been slowly working on has been creating a procedurally generated minor bodies sub-mod, designed specifically for New Horizons. Adding in a ton of small asteroids and comets to fill the gaps where needed (and to add some exciting new areas to explore) all with a nice low memory impact so you can cram plenty of other mods in.

Awesome! I love the idea of moving a small moon into orbit of Kerbin for "studies!"

*edit*

Checked the wiki, which answered my question!

Edited by MinimumSky5

but do any of the planets or moons have biomes? it doesn't say anywhere that they do or don't.

yes all the planets have full biome maps, however currently due to writers block only about half of the planets have custom scidefs (i worked from center out and got as far as Lave). I'll fix the OP sometime, there's lots of new things to put in there and I'll make sure to mention this in the future

Now we only need an AVP interstellar config for this and my life will be complete. But OPM does have an unofficial EVE config so I ain't even mad bro.

EDIT: I voted for a blue man sequence star. Most realistic.

Edited by TheJewelOfJool

I think I've worked out the cause of the issues people have been having on Aptur. I've just landed a small probe on the surface, on the lowest point of the terrain (it seemed like the closest thing to a landmark!). Just before landing, I lost my altitude display, and there was a very strange camera glitch that caused the camera to only be able to look directly down, so I couldn't view any of my side instruments. Additionally, despite the sun being overhead, the entire area was bathed in darkness. I think kerbal engineer has solved this for us though, as when I checked, the altitude was displaying -108.1, so presumably the heightmap is off, which causes the lowlands of Aptur to be technically "underwater"!

And as for the probe, it lost its engine, but all science objectives were met!

Why didn't ckan automatically add your awesome mod to its list by now. I do not know if you tried or not but ckan working with kerbalstuff and github downloads can be the reason.You use curse download.

I can understand some modders do not like ckan but its doing an awesome job for mod installing. I personally discover new nice mods there everytime I refresh.

I had alot of issues previously with KerbalStuff, and ended having to move the mod to Curse. I was actually waiting for Kopernicus to reach a stable state before adding it to CKAN, the next update will be added to CKAN when it get released (if I can figure out how to get it added).

Did a bunch of work today toying with the new stars I'm try to implement. Running into a huge roadblock when it comes to scaling the star...basically you can't tell in stock but the sun disappears at a certain distance and in stock this is fine, as the flare & corona that surrounds the sun is bright enough to mask it. However when adding a red giant and blue main sequence star into the mix you get a very sharp transition where one second the sun is there, and the next only a faint flare is. I'm either going to have to scale the giant stars down drastically or find another solution (I've found that anything over 10x Kerbol's size is really noticeable...so the red giant may have to turn into a orange giant)...any suggestions would be welcome :(

EDIT

-----

After some testing I have been able to get a Pollux analogue working perfectly, just need to toy some more with the radius to try and find the maximum possible size achievable. *sigh*

Edited by KillAshley

Did a bunch of work today toying with the new stars I'm try to implement. Running into a huge roadblock when it comes to scaling the star...basically you can't tell in stock but the sun disappears at a certain distance and in stock this is fine, as the flare & corona that surrounds the sun is bright enough to mask it. However when adding a red giant and blue main sequence star into the mix you get a very sharp transition where one second the sun is there, and the next only a faint flare is. I'm either going to have to scale the giant stars down drastically or find another solution (I've found that anything over 10x Kerbol's size is really noticeable...so the red giant may have to turn into a orange or even yellow giant)...any suggestions would be welcome :(

Is removing/replacing the corona/flare an option?

I feel like I should offer congratulations for this mod creating the first time I have used a cheat that wasn't to fix a bug :P

Short version, rescue contract, around Sonnah, early in my career. Didn't look too hard at the specifics, just accepted because I'd already done one around Kerbin.

a) AP was 425,000 km

B) PE was 250,000 km

c) inclination was 10 degrees

d) orbit was retrograde

...I think I could have made it without D! But I didn't notice until I was out at 200,000km, trying to match planes. Naturally :P

In other news, this planet pack is haaaaard! Digging out of Sonnah's gravity well is a beast. I can see I need to make friends with Aptur and get mining. Which at least is a good reason to make a mining station :)

- - - Updated - - -

In other other news, I'm having problems keeping things in high polar orbit of Mun. There seems to be a chance that whenever I look away, it will suddenly ping out of orbit and the next thing I know it's firing out of Sonnah's SoI :( I don't know whether this is down to NH however, so this is just a "have you ever seen this happen?" rather than a bug report ^^;