[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

1 hour ago, Berlin said:

@blackrack do you think it is possible to implement bobbing in the water? 

there was some testing with this when the ocean was first released. It "worked" but was prone to both bugs, and causing highly excessive RUDs (Rapid Unplanned Disassemblies for the uninitiated). Was also excessively memory intensive IIRC. @blackrack, could you verify these memories for me? you'd know better than me, you were the one who tested it.

Edited by gkorgood

Just now, gkorgood said:

there was some testing with this when the ocean was first released. It "worked" but was prone to both bugs, and causing highly excessive RUDs (Rapid Unplanned Disassemblies for the uninitiated).

Ahh got ya. Would be cool if it was attempted again

11 hours ago, gkorgood said:

there was some testing with this when the ocean was first released. It "worked" but was prone to both bugs, and causing highly excessive RUDs (Rapid Unplanned Disassemblies for the uninitiated). Was also excessively memory intensive IIRC. @blackrack, could you verify these memories for me? you'd know better than me, you were the one who tested it.

Yeah that's pretty accurate, it wasn't memory intensive though but CPU intensive. It was more or less a hack and it caused excessive disassemblies and kraken attacks.

11 hours ago, Berlin said:

Ahh got ya. Would be cool if it was attempted again

It's most likely not going to happen, there's just too much work needed to get something like this working properly, it would need to be properly integrated into the buoyancy system, or have a new one built from the ground up, and there would also need to be a way to voxelize ships or do something similar or the performance will end up abysmally low.

On 4/17/2016 at 2:33 PM, Chimer4 said:

@blackrackI don't remember ever seeing it before, although on further testing, it seems related to the field of view (alt+scroll) of the camera. I first noticed when flying a plane in IVA and I zoomed out to get a better view and all of a sudden I saw the ocean moving when I moved the camera. It seems that any FOV other than the default FOV seems to cause this effect.

I take a quite a few screenshots whilst playing at diffenet FOVs and have no recollection of seeing it before. 

@blackrack, I didn't see a response to @Chimer4 above, so I want to confirm this one, I see the same effect in IVA that he describes.  Specfiically, I was using the MK1 cockpit, haven't tested with others.   In IVA if you adjust your zoom from the default the ocean level appears to rise and fall depending on your view angle, such that if you're flight dead level, everything looks perfect, but if you bank hard the world floods, or drains.

In external view everything looks normal. Scatter 0244 with KSP 1.1 build 1228(x64)

Thanks for all you do, this thing works so nice in x64.  Loving it.

35 minutes ago, Whiskybob said:

This mod is pure awesomenes but i cant play with it because its killing my FPS to 25-30 and time bar almost all the time yellow got I5 4690K 4,5 MHz ~and amd R9 200. without this i got 75 fps stable :-(

Sounds like your GPU isn't keeping up, either lower anti-aliasing or disable ocean shaders.

40 minutes ago, Kurtvw said:

@blackrack, I didn't see a response to @Chimer4 above, so I want to confirm this one, I see the same effect in IVA that he describes.  Specfiically, I was using the MK1 cockpit, haven't tested with others.   In IVA if you adjust your zoom from the default the ocean level appears to rise and fall depending on your view angle, such that if you're flight dead level, everything looks perfect, but if you bank hard the world floods, or drains.

In external view everything looks normal. Scatter 0244 with KSP 1.1 build 1228(x64)

Thanks for all you do, this thing works so nice in x64.  Loving it.

Yes, I can confirm this happens in the newest version, atm you can fix it by pressing "rebuild ocean" after you change your fov settings. I will fix it for next release.

17 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yes, I can confirm this happens in the newest version, atm you can fix it by pressing "rebuild ocean" after you change your fov settings. I will fix it for next release.

Thanks for the quick answer on a work around!

Edited by Kurtvw

So, during the pre-release of v1.1 I had scatterer installed. For some reason, during reentry, I could see the reentry-effects that should normally only be visible on the other side of the craft. For instance, I could see the 'fire' around an antenna, but this antenna was, from my point of view, on the other side of the craft... I don't have any screenshots of that since I just re-installed the game. 

Now I have the full release of v1.1 installed and now I have a problem I've encountered before in v1.0.5. The spacecraft appears in front of the reentry flames.

Picture: http://imgur.com/lyxWReV

Mods installed: Scatterer, SVE, Distant object enhancements, planetshine.

Also: Windows, KSP x64. I don't run the game in openGL.

GPU: GTX970

I hope there will be a fix, because I love the mod, but I also love reentry :P. Besides this problem, everything seems to work fine.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Kolago said:

scatterer crashs the game while loading. Win64 / [KSP Version]: 1.1.0.1230 (WindowsPlayer) (x64)

Args: KSP_x64.exe -popupwindow -force-d3d11

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1kobh2b0qf2ptg/output_log13.zip?dl=0

The shaders are completely messed up in dx11 atm, in 64bit they crash the game and in the 32bit they just don't work. Switch to either dx9 or opengl until I can fix it.

46 minutes ago, SpaceMart said:

So, during the pre-release of v1.1 I had scatterer installed. For some reason, during reentry, I could see the reentry-effects that should normally only be visible on the other side of the craft. For instance, I could see the 'fire' around an antenna, but this antenna was, from my point of view, on the other side of the craft... I don't have any screenshots of that since I just re-installed the game. 

Now I have the full release of v1.1 installed and now I have a problem I've encountered before in v1.0.5. The spacecraft appears in front of the reentry flames.

Picture: http://imgur.com/lyxWReV

Mods installed: Scatterer, SVE, Distant object enhancements, planetshine.

Also: Windows, KSP x64. I don't run the game in openGL.

GPU: GTX970

I hope there will be a fix, because I love the mod, but I also love reentry :P. Besides this problem, everything seems to work fine.

Thanks!

I will check it out when I can.

Just to confirm the post above, the dreaded aero effect problem is back it seems. I'd been running the pre release mod free but with the full release decided to start throwing in some ol' favourites so I don't know when this reappeared. Windows, DX9 only Scatterer 0.0244 installed.

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

Sounds like your GPU isn't keeping up, either lower anti-aliasing or disable ocean shaders.

I have tried that but with AA - disabled and ocean shaders disabled no change at all :-/ even when i disable everything in scaterer menu its the same :-(

Edit : R9270X-DC2T-4GD5, 4GB DDR5 (5600MHz), AMD Radeon R9 270X (1120MHz), PCIe x16 3.0, CrossFire, 256bit - this is my spec of GPU i dont think thats low for something like this :-/

Edited by Whiskybob

7 hours ago, Whiskybob said:

I have tried that but with AA - disabled and ocean shaders disabled no change at all :-/ even when i disable everything in scaterer menu its the same :-(

Edit : R9270X-DC2T-4GD5, 4GB DDR5 (5600MHz), AMD Radeon R9 270X (1120MHz), PCIe x16 3.0, CrossFire, 256bit - this is my spec of GPU i dont think thats low for something like this :-/

Also try resolution, and make sure that any other windows in the background are minimized. Also make sure all your drivers are up-to-date.

Hi all,

I love the look of this mod and what it can do but I seem to be doing something wrong as I dont get any visual change when I try to install it. This picture is without any mods installed

No_Mod.jpg

Here is a screenshot with the "scatterer-Master" Folder in the game data folder

Scatterer_Master.jpg

And finally a screenshot with the contents of the scatterer-master folder extracted individually into the game data folder.

Scaterrer.jpg

there just isnt a difference that I can see. I just dont see what im doing wrong. Also Id like to have the ocean showing like it does in some of the OP screenshot and ive seen the settings page for this but I dont know which file to edit. If someone could please advise me how to install scatterer properly first to get the atmospheric affects and which file(s) to adjust to get the ocean working I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

39 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

I've been trying to make a sunflare plugin by cutting out everything in my copy of scatterer except whats absolutely necessary. Can you guys please tell me what things i can and cant delete? Im using the 1.05 version.

Delete all planet items in the planetsList.cfg file, delete the folders named Duna, Kerbin, Eve, Jool and Laythe.

1 hour ago, Angelus2141 said:

Hi all,

I love the look of this mod and what it can do but I seem to be doing something wrong as I dont get any visual change when I try to install it. This picture is without any mods installed

Here is a screenshot with the "scatterer-Master" Folder in the game data folder

And finally a screenshot with the contents of the scatterer-master folder extracted individually into the game data folder.

there just isnt a difference that I can see. I just dont see what im doing wrong. Also Id like to have the ocean showing like it does in some of the OP screenshot and ive seen the settings page for this but I dont know which file to edit. If someone could please advise me how to install scatterer properly first to get the atmospheric affects and which file(s) to adjust to get the ocean working I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

There is no "scatterer-master" folder, sounds like you downloaded the source code from github and attempted to put it in your game directory. Download the mod from here instead: http://spacedock.info/mod/141/scatterer extract and overwrite your gamedata folder with it.

I seem to have found a bug, or i have a faulty download and it's corrupted, but whenever you go into cockpit view and zoom in on something and exit out of cockpit view, it locks the FOV at whatever it was set to while zooming in, and it messes up scatterer that makes the ocean go away, the sky messed up, or have the atmosphere bug up.

http://imgur.com/a/V33fI

Most recent version of scatterer

Ksp 1.1

I don't know if my specs have anything to do with it, it has worked perfectly before 1.1

Nvidia Gtx-970

I5-4690K

Edited by Old Man Jenkins

-Terrain shadows might cause weird, moving patterns to appear across the landscape, if this happens you can try to turn up the rendering quality in KSP, mess with anisotropic filtering setting

Can anyone give me some more specific advice on what to do with anisotropic filtering? Things usually break when I start to alter drivers, so I wouldn't mind some help. Running KSP on an NVidia 780

55 minutes ago, Dead Pixel said:

I seem to have found a bug, or i have a faulty download and it's corrupted, but whenever you go into cockpit view and zoom in on something and exit out of cockpit view, it locks the FOV at whatever it was set to while zooming in, and it messes up scatterer that makes the ocean go away, the sky messed up, or have the atmosphere bug up.

I can confirm that one also.