[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Yeah it is, still several issues, but I'll try to have a version up soon.

No worries at all! I'm just glad you've had another breakthrough. It's entertaining enough to just watch the threads and chat. :)

- Oh and Proot do you need any help with KSPRC? I don't know if you plan on redoing your part textures but you can feel free to use anything of the code or textures in the WindowShine compatibility pack. - They are exactly the same as your originals but with different alphas to allow reflections. It would let you include window reflections without the use of WindowShine. I'm always for simplicity. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Status update: can't get a good config going for Eve.

AZwDh5f.jpg

Looks completely bland right now so I might try some custom textures and more configs tomorrow.

Also, I ran into the bug where the extinction/tint shader wouldn't work with custom configs, it seems it's triggered by some atmosphere height values, using the values currently used for Kerbin (Rg = 600000, Rt = 608490.4, RL = 608632, HR = 10, HM = 1.2) and changing the color values works fine which is weird (keep in mind these are't the default values of the config tool).

Duna still has the horizon artifacts which appear when you make the atmosphere too high relative to the planet's radius, still need to find a better way to change atmosphere height directly.

Edited by blackrack

Status update: can't get a good config going for Eve.

http://i.imgur.com/AZwDh5f.jpg

Looks completely bland right now so I might try some custom textures and more configs tomorrow.

Also, I ran into the bug where the extinction/tint shader wouldn't work with custom configs, it seems it's triggered by some atmosphere height values, using the values currently used for Kerbin (Rg = 600000, Rt = 608490.4, RL = 608632, HR = 10, HM = 1.2) and changing the color values works fine which is weird (keep in mind these are't the default values of the config tool).

Duna still has the horizon artifacts which appear when you make the atmosphere too high relative to the planet's radius, still need to find a better way to change atmosphere height directly.

Add EVE to Eve for some cloud action!

Hey I know I solved this once before but, I don't recall the solution. Custom lens flares inserted into the asset files. It was working fine until I installed Scatterer then it no longer showed up throw the atmosphere. It's driving me crazy because I have it working on my 1.0.4 install. But I can't remember the fix.....

Hey I know I solved this once before but, I don't recall the solution. Custom lens flares inserted into the asset files. It was working fine until I installed Scatterer then it no longer showed up throw the atmosphere. It's driving me crazy because I have it working on my 1.0.4 install. But I can't remember the fix.....

When in the atmosphere, scatterer overrides the games lens flare.

When in the atmosphere, scatterer overrides the games lens flare.
I think another mod will alter that. Maybe texture replacer? I'm going to sit down for round 2 of mod setup tonight. All I remember is in 1.0.4 I had the same issue. Install a lens flare and it works. Install scatterer and it overrides it. Then at some point something changed. But actually on that note. If scatterer overrides the stock lens flare.... Could we replace the flare through scatterer? That would be fantastic. Edited by V8jester

I think another mod will alter that. Maybe texture replaced? I'm going to sit down for round 2 of mod setup tonight. All I remember is in 1.0.4 I had the same issue. Install a lens flare and it works. Install scatterer and it overrides it. Then at some point something changed. But actually on that note. If scatterer overrides the stock lens flare.... Could we replace the flare through scatterer? That would be fantastic.

It's actually one of my planned features, the scatterer flare right now is very basic and renders to the sky (behind objects and such) but has the advantage of taking the appropriate color at sunrise/sunsets using atmosphere information. The sun flare I want to make would look like space engine's sunflare (http://i.imgur.com/9ACrGBs.jpg), with all the bells and whistles, moving components and lens artifacts, it would also render in front of everything, check for occlusion, work everywhere in space and take the correct atmosphere color for whichever (scatterer-enabled) planet you're on. I already have a bunch of ideas for implementation but haven't worked on it yet.

Also, not sure how well it works or looks for now for your custom sunflare replacement but in the current version of scatterer there should be a toggle stock sunglare button.

It's actually one of my planned features....

Also, not sure how well it works or looks for now for your custom sunflare replacement but in the current version of scatterer there should be a toggle stock sunglare button.

As always one step ahead of us :) Thank you, I'll give that a shot. I just can't remember how I got it to work the first time but I do remember whatever it was it makes the sky black on first launch. Then you have to scroll out and back, then everything works perfect. So like I said, I think I installed a mod that "broke" scatterer and that's how it wound up working. But for now I'm gonna stop sounding like I'm complaining :) I absolutely love scatterer and I just can't play KSP without it anymore.

It's actually one of my planned features, the scatterer flare right now is very basic and renders to the sky (behind objects and such) but has the advantage of taking the appropriate color at sunrise/sunsets using atmosphere information. The sun flare I want to make would look like space engine's sunflare (http://i.imgur.com/9ACrGBs.jpg), with all the bells and whistles, moving components and lens artifacts, it would also render in front of everything, check for occlusion, work everywhere in space and take the correct atmosphere color for whichever (scatterer-enabled) planet you're on. I already have a bunch of ideas for implementation but haven't worked on it yet.

Have you considered using the lens flare of an eye rather than that of a camera? Here are a couple of papers on the matter:

http://people.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ritschel/Papers/TemporalGlare.pdf

http://luthuli.cs.uiuc.edu/~daf/courses/Rendering/Papers3/spencer95.pdf

Have you considered using the lens flare of an eye rather than that of a camera? Here are a couple of papers on the matter:

http://people.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ritschel/Papers/TemporalGlare.pdf

http://luthuli.cs.uiuc.edu/~daf/courses/Rendering/Papers3/spencer95.pdf

This is very interesting. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, probably a more stylized version (so more like a traditional camera) than this, but we'll see how that works out.

I'm trying this mod again, and every time I do I keep deleting it because the planet looks wrong from space. It looks beautiful near the ground but when you get up in space, well my neighbor has a power blue Prius that is darker blue than the planet and the land masses are way to washed out.

So, is there any way to adjust this so that the planet looks more like Earth or Astronomers Visual Pack instead of this. I really want to use this mod for the effects near the surface (plus Astronomers isn't being updated anymore and I want to use nuEVE), I know it seems small but it just drives me crazy for some reason.