[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

As always say: maybe I'm skilled on my arts, but all that we do is simply impossible without people like Blackrack, or Rbray89, Nathankell, Thomas P., Shaw, Valerian and many more.
Even my latest and finest changes in the oceans are just "toys", compared to this results.
The code is the key. The tool. Without plugins we have nothing.
Maths! Programming! All praise to the people of the future!

8 minutes ago, GrugInAus said:

Shut Up!! That windy weather one looks unreal!!

Blackrack - You are a god.

/edit: Or technically "looks real", for those who want to be pedantic. :-P

13 minutes ago, Proot said:

Simply: a madness.

Squad should be hiring over here. :rolleyes:

All credit goes to Justin Hawkins who ported Proland to Unity, without his work none of this would be possible.

7 minutes ago, blackrack said:

All credit goes to Justin Hawkins who ported Proland to Unity, without his work none of this would be possible.

Fair call. I wasn't sure the water was part of the Proland port or something you added, but either way from reading your updates in this thread there has still been a huge amount of debugging and tweaking to get it all working with KSP so you deserve some of the credit. :-)

20 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

Are the ocean shaders available anywhere? I tried the dev dll, but realized I don't have the shaders for it. I may have missed them on Git.

I'll add them on git. But better just wait for full release, should be less than 24 hours now.

Edited: For people who don't want to wait, here are the shaders, use them with the dev .dll

https://mega.nz/#!zVxHjKqa!kfVcYTpMUK49NhVK3wpS690wmgPxD_7V9EOsE1_Froo

You may need to create some empty OceanSettings.cfg files for each planet and add "hasOcean = true" to planets with oceans in the planetsList file.

You may also need to disable postprocessing for the time being.

Edited by blackrack

Awesome. :P Would it be possible to change ocean color based on biome? So we can make some of them light blue, some - green, make rivers dark green, etc.

Also, please don't make Laythe purple. :rolleyes: Eve is purple, Laythe should be light blue or yellowish (but not acid yellow) or greenish (not acid green again).

Edited by sashan

Just now, sashan said:

Awesome. :P Would it be possible to change ocean color based on biome? So we can make some of them light blue, some - green, make rivers dark green, etc.

Also, please don't make Laythe purple. :P Eve is purple, Laythe should be light blue or yellowish (but not acid yellow) or greenish (not acid green again).

Someone gave me this idea earlier and we thought of just using a colormap to define different colors for different areas. I'm thinking about it, the main problem being that the whole ocean can only be one color at one time so aerial views won't work.

Well I tweak things to what I find visually pleasant, you can generate your own config in 5 minutes, for the ocean you can reconfigure it in 5 seconds so no fuss there.

16 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Someone gave me this idea earlier and we thought of just using a colormap to define different colors for different areas. I'm thinking about it, the main problem being that the whole ocean can only be one color at one time so aerial views won't work.

Well I tweak things to what I find visually pleasant, you can generate your own config in 5 minutes, for the ocean you can reconfigure it in 5 seconds so no fuss there.

Yep, that's also what I thought about. Or biome-based coloring with smooth transitions. Or changing color slightly when in atmosphere. That'll probably be the easiest solution.
Also, please add ripples like in that windy weather shot to all other shots. Slight foaming is present almost always, except for the calmest version, and it really livens up the view.

7 hours ago, Proot said:

As always say: maybe I'm skilled on my arts, but all that we do is simply impossible without people like Blackrack, or Rbray89, Nathankell, Thomas P., Shaw, Valerian and many more.
Even my latest and finest changes in the oceans are just "toys", compared to this results.
The code is the key. The tool. Without plugins we have nothing.
Maths! Programming! All praise to the people of the future!

Hm... I guess your work on KSPRC is similar to my work in WindowShine then. I can't code for my life :D. I use the code by Shaw to add reflections to windows.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Recent testing pics

When I saw your last run the water already looked amazing... you added sea foam?! As well as made the water transparent?! omg! It looks as though you can also change the water color depending on the planet now... Looking forwards to landing in purple oceans now... ;.; this is too amazing. The sunset in the last frame is absolutely breathtaking. I think I can live with orange as a good substitute for the green sunsets. :)

5 hours ago, blackrack said:

We might be able to work something out... We could do what Squad does and make the ocean more transparent while coloring the sea floor.

I have Small Solar system installed and renamed the planets in the cfg names like below, but for some reason they do not work. Any ideas? Or just not supported?  Running S^3 Small Solar System, EVE and Scatterer.  Works fine on stock solar system (awesome looking!).

Item
	{
		celestialBodyName = Earth
		transformName = Kerbin
		loadDistance =50000000
		unloadDistance = 100000000
	}
	Item
	{
		celestialBodyName = Mars
		transformName = Duna
		loadDistance = 50000000
	}

Oceans have just become compatible with EVE cloud shadows (somehow).

VJtKylm.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

I have Small Solar system installed and renamed the planets in the cfg names like below, but for some reason they do not work. Any ideas? Or just not supported?  Running S^3 Small Solar System, EVE and Scatterer.  Works fine on stock solar system (awesome looking!).

Item
	{
		celestialBodyName = Earth
		transformName = Kerbin
		loadDistance =50000000
	}
	Item
	{
		celestialBodyName = Mars
		transformName = Duna
		loadDistance = 50000000
	}

Anything in the debug log?

2 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

the Output log? That thing is huge, will check. What am I looking for?

Just run the game normally and press alt+F2 to get the console log up. Look for anything red or stuff that looks like an error.

Alternatively just upload the output log.

2 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Hey Blackrack, is there a way to change the scatterer radius (scale) while you're not in map view? I'm testing to see what I can do with it on the Mun but it applied it a bit short of what the radius of the Mun is.

Hide contents

MIz2XQR.jpg

Pretty sure that means that's what the mun's actual radius is.

I used to have this option as "atmosphereGlobalScale" but disabled it. I'll put it back.