[1.4.x - 1.7.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science Mods (NEOS - Micha's build) (0.8.1)

micha

3 hours ago, Blackline said:

Hi Micha, thx for keeping this wonderful suite alive. Are those localization bugs known already? I am running:

Hi,

Many thanks; that appears to have slipped past me (the german translation was fine; the english is broken).  Will be fixed in the next release.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.
I just downloaded the last version of the full science pack (NehemiahIncSciencePack_0.2_beta_2) and put the folders, Kemini Research, KerbalLifeScience, KEES and OrbitalMaterialsScience inside the KSP/GameData folder that already contains the KIS, KAS and Station Science, but I just can´t find the mod parts of this mod in VAB or SPH when the game is runing.
What could I possibly did wrong?
I am currently runing the the KSP v.1.3.
Thanks inadvance.

1 hour ago, F3l1p3 said:

Hi everyone.
I just downloaded the last version of the full science pack (NehemiahIncSciencePack_0.2_beta_2) and put the folders, Kemini Research, KerbalLifeScience, KEES and OrbitalMaterialsScience inside the KSP/GameData folder that already contains the KIS, KAS and Station Science, but I just can´t find the mod parts of this mod in VAB or SPH when the game is runing.
What could I possibly did wrong?
I am currently runing the the KSP v.1.3.
Thanks inadvance.

The various folders (OMS, MultiPurposeParts, Kemini etc) are supposed to be in GameData/NehemiahInc. Installing directly to GameData will break the model and texture file paths and prevent the parts from loading.

40 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

The various folders (OMS, MultiPurposeParts, Kemini etc) are supposed to be in GameData/NehemiahInc. Installing directly to GameData will break the model and texture file paths and prevent the parts from loading.

Thanks a lot, tried as mentioned and now it is working perfectly.

:-)

• 1 month later...

Hello! Great ideia, we need more experiments to do. 

Just a little suggestion: the OP should explain a little more of what the mod does. Without installing it I am still not sure what's the deal. Maybe some screenshots of the parts or whatever. 

Did you look at the resources section of the OP. There's a link there to the original mod thread which has all that information and more.

Question to all you mod-users: do you think it makes sense to continue to have this mod collection split up the way it is, or would you prefer it to be released as a single mod?

From a gamers perspective it consists of Kemini, KEES, and OMS/KLS as three distinct sets of orbital experiments. From a developers perspective it also consists of the plugin and some shared parts/data.

The original idea for splitting it up was partially to allow people to only install the part they would be interested in to avoid cluttering up the VAB/Tech Tree with unused parts but also to be more friendly for low-bandwidth users, especially if an update or patch only affects part of the collection.

However, in practice, every component has been updated and re-released whenever something got changed to ensure consistency.

This would make it a little bit easier for new releases as well as removing spam from AVC and CKAN.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

EDIT: Just as an aside, the individual release packs have been downloaded about 30 times each, whereas the complete pack was downloaded over 1150 times.. that's nearly a 40:1 ratio!

Edited by micha

Personally I use everything except for the "Kemini" section of this mod. But I've always been a manual mod installer, so I wouldn't mind at all if it was only available in an al in one. I'd simply remove the Kemini sub-folder of experiments I didn't want to use.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Hi Micha

I would like to add more Kemini-Experiments but how can I add them to the GUI? Is it possible to do this with a .cfg?

Only partially; the science defs etc are config files, but the experiments also need to be coded in.  it also needs its own texture to show in the tech-tree.

Having new experiments added just using config files is something I've been thinking about doing for both Kemini and KEES, but to be honest apart from maintaining this mod I haven't really had time to do much coding to extend it (RL gets in the way).

If you can code I'm more than happy to accept pull requests, otherwise if you send me all the configs etc. it shouldn't take me too much time to add the rest.

The only concern I have with adding more Kemini experiments is that Kemini is so easy that adding more experiments may flood the early game with too much science.

If anybody wants to test it, you can download an updated NEOS from GitHub directly; the "GameData" folder should be complete with a recompiled plugin and everything.

The tag is 20171102 under "releases" on GitHub, but it's not published as an actual release.

Apart from various minor spelling/localisation fixes, it changes the savefile format slightly (it -should- auto-update existing saves, but you won't be able to load the new saves using the old version, so back up your saves first) and, notably, allows people to create their own Kemini experiments simply by editing configuration files.

There's a new Kemini "TEST" experiment demonstrating how it's done.

You will need to:
1. create a new Kemini part for the experiment in the "Kemini/Experiments" directory
1. add a new entry into the "Kemini/Experiments/ExperimentRegister.cfg"
1. optionally create a new texture
1. optionally, but highly recommended, localise the experiment (See the "Kemini/Localization" directory)
1. and finally add the experiment definition into Resources/Kemini_Experiments.cfg 

Have fun!

Edited by micha
Update GitHub link - added a tag

On 03/11/2017 at 10:17 PM, Cheesecake said:

@michaWhat's the best way/tool to edit the Textures? When I open them with Gimp they are mirrored.

Cool.

Just un-mirror the texture, edit, and re-mirror.   I'll see if there's a blank version of the texture I can upload somewhere. 

6 hours ago, Sudragon said:

Would it be possible for those new experiments to be uploaded somewhere...for SCIENCE!

Yes, I can upload them. But first I need the Textures. As a placeholder I use the D5-Texture in the moment.
Also I had to do some adjustements to the science gain and lab time. For me I decreases the Science gain and increases the lab time. Also added 4 Experimentslots to my BDB-Gemini.

The original Kemini textures are on GitHub here, the .xcf is the original multi-layered GIMP one. Not 100% sure how they are converted for distribution, I'll figure it out and get back to you.

EDIT: Ah, it's the DDS4KSP tool from this thread which also flips the images. So basically, use the original GIMP image (or create your own texture using the same size), export as PNG, then run dds4ksp and use the resulting .dds files.

Edited by micha

Hm, a little issue: When I add Kemini-Experiments they are shown in VAB. But when I launch the Vessel there are no Experiments in the Rightklick-menu. When I klick to "Perform all Experiments" (i think it comes with part commander or another mod, the Kemini-Experiments will perform. Directly without a labtime.
I don`t know what this causes. It happens with the original Kemini-Experiments and my own Experiments.

On 05/11/2017 at 4:36 PM, Cheesecake said:

Hm, a little issue: When I add Kemini-Experiments they are shown in VAB. But when I launch the Vessel there are no Experiments in the Rightklick-menu. When I klick to "Perform all Experiments" (i think it comes with part commander or another mod, the Kemini-Experiments will perform. Directly without a labtime.
I don`t know what this causes. It happens with the original Kemini-Experiments and my own Experiments.

It all seems to work fine for me.

Spoiler

cFSGBUr.png

Can you please try without mods, or remove the mods which you think may be causing issues?  If you can figure out which mod is causing the problem I can try to figure out why.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.