"Duna, Ore Bust!" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (COMPLETE)

Extending the theory, I suppose one must only be truly dead when the number of possible universes where one still exists is reduced to zero. That number of possible universes is always decreasing. It decreases at a faster rate if you take a lot of chances: every game of Russian roulette, for example, instantly decreases the remaining number of possible universes by 1/6. Eventually probability catches up with all of us, and everyone elses' infinite universes go on without us.

I dunno. I think the number of parallel universes you create far exceeds the number you lose. And don't forget that everything else in a given universe is also constantly creating parallel universes itself and most of those include you. Thus, your number of bolt holes far exceeds your need for them and it's hard to imagine how you ever really die until all your copies run out of juice due to age.

But the real challenge of parallel universes isn't staying alive, it's determining which afterlife you ultimately end up in. If each choice creates a copy of you in a parallel universe taking the other path, then the true answer to all moral decisions is "all of the above". So come judgment day, whichever deity holds court will be faced with an infinite number of copies of each individual, and these copies will run the whole spectrum of morals. What's he supposed to do with that? :D

Sorry for getting OT.

Sorry for getting OT.

Not a problem, it's an interesting discussion--but yeah, let's get back to the story :)

9MmDjO1.png

W0dVTej.png

That last page is a composite. I actually reloaded several times from a point before the Hummlebee entered atmosphere, and had the lift problem show up in different ways each time. I attempted a landing with the symmetric case shown in lower left, and was in reasonably good control of the craft but for Reasons had to pause the session, quicksave, and try to pick up where I left off. When I did, I got the mode shown in upper right. That one resulted in a really cool 'auto-rotate' mode with the ship corkscrewing to the surface and me controlling descent with the VTOL. Unfortunately that playthrough was unusable for the comic due to atmospheric graphics being inconsistent with previous panels (something wonky with that install of EVE textures). So I ported the save to a second, moar powerful computer--and and the lift problem went away entirely. All that would have made for way too many 4th wall breaking pages even for me, so I compressed as shown :)

Edited by Kuzzter

Bill is clever and persistent.

Well done on the storytelling for that.

The explanation was interesting, too. Can we hope that the Hummlebee's future adventures will now be entrusted to the moar powerful computer?

Still waiting for one of those...

Happy landings!

The explanation was interesting, too. Can we hope that the Hummlebee's future adventures will now be entrusted to the moar powerful computer?

Oh yes, and definitely when we go back to Eve as well.

Just out of interest, what other visual mode are you running?

All I can tell you is that I have an EVE folder and a BoulderCo folder. I think I installed everything back in 1.0 and have been just copying the folders into the new directories. Sorry.

Bill, you sneaky savescummer. I approve.
Well, he is the persistence expert!

*groan* :)

Mount Whoopstooshort and Overshoot Island are such perfectly apt names they should be canon!

Credit where due, I'm pretty sure I got the latter from Geschosskopf's Elcano Challenge report. I couldn't remember what he called the mountains, almost PM'd him as I was having trouble coming up with anything :)

Absolutely wonderful!

From 'You're all clear, Val!' to 'For Science!' I loved every beautiful moment.

The sense of completion and culmination is overwhelming. Man, you nailed it!

Worth waiting for.

Thank you!

Happy landings!

p.s. Love those shots of the Hummlebee from the front with the airbrakes deployed.

Credit where due, I'm pretty sure I got the latter from Geschosskopf's Elcano Challenge report. I couldn't remember what he called the mountains, almost PM'd him as I was having trouble coming up with anything :)

Thanks :). I just did the island. Whoopstooshort is way better than anything I've come up with for the mountains in general. I only really have a name for the spike-shaped peak, which I call "Old Shinytop". This is because of my quest to land a STOL airplane (no VTOL, not chutes, no retro rockets) at its summit, and the glinting aluminum wreckage carpeting its upper slopes from countless failed attemps :).

Anyway, a great conclusion to this series. Congrats on getting the Humblebee home alive, snatching it repeatedly from the jaws of the Kraken. Sadly, I need to spread some rep at the moment...

Thank you all, especially those of you've been here from the start, commenting and encouraging this series. You've made it a pleasure to write! BUT I am not quite ready to type "THE END" yet--after all we haven't yet recovered the ship to see how much science Lisa got (hint: there is very much science!) So you can expect maybe two more pages here, and then Kerbfleet's adventures will continue in EVE: Order Zero. :D

It's been a long journey.

Glad we didn't go burney.

With laughs and joy.

And horror, oh boy.

But at the end of the day.

To the Krakens dismay.

Bill saved the day.

And Jeb got his pay.

Gene, AWWRIGHT.

Mortimer, AWWGAWD.

It's been a fun journey.

Jeb,

Bill,

And our new friend, Lisa.

Thank you for being there when it was scary.

You've all helped, when it was getting hairy.

Our proud mission controller, Gene,

Let us bring lots of hydrazine,

We landed back

From where we began,

And I think I've got the knack

Of landing a bee,

Can't you see?

Valentina's my name.

Fun is my game.

As well as success

failure,

and through all the mess

this mission t'was my best.

And lest we forget,

the hardships we met,

It was all worth it in the end.

Thank you all, now let

Me rest. Thank you again,

It's been great,

Sorry we're a bit late

back home.

-Valentina, 2015

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.