Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Do you have any stories on how you discovered KSP?

I saw a thread about KSP in the gaming section on another forum, I love space and it was free so I gave it a try.

What's your favorite mod in Ksp?

Lately I've been extolling the virtues of Chatterer, which adds in game communication sounds. From the description it sounds silly and superficial, which I guess it is, but once used to it the game sounds lifeless without it. My other favorites are Kerbal Engineer Redux, Environmental Visual Enhancements, Ven's Stock Revamp, and Editor Extensions. And Hyperedit.

On that note, who is your favorite moderator?

That's tough, they're all smart, funny people that I like for different reasons. If I had to pick one it would probably be Vanamonde, he is incredibly witty while also giving great advice about difficult moderation situations (plus he wrote me a very nice PM when he had to moderate me back when I was a regular user). A+++, would moderate with again.

Do you have pre-written texts that you just paste on these extremely generic (and often incomplete) threads such as: "My KSP crash, help me !" or "Why can't I use SAS with only a scientist piloting my ship ?" ?

I don't, every one is written new.

Do the mods sleep? :sticktongue:

We collapse in exhaustion.

Do the mods sleep? :sticktongue:

I enjoy sleep a great deal. :P

Do you have pre-written texts that you just paste on these extremely generic (and often incomplete) threads such as: "My KSP crash, help me !" or "Why can't I use SAS with only a scientist piloting my ship ?" ?

Like sal, I don't have any "pre-written" text. The only things I cut and paste might be from some of the more complex issues that are in other threads I've written. And usually in those cases I just link over.

Cheers,

~Claw

Do the mods sleep?

Yes, but not all at the same time. The sun never sets on the moderation empire.

Do you have pre-written texts that you just paste on...

I tried that for a while, but it turned out not to actually save me much time or effort. I had to go find the one I wanted, and then customize it for the occasion anyway. Faster just to write it as needed.

Be active on the forums. Be friendly and helpful, especially with new people. Be courteous and respectful. Don't backseat moderate or violate any other rules.

What do you mean by backseat moderate? Do my "wave-offs" (the posts where I redirect from profanity, personal attacks, attacks on religion, etc) I am sometimes guilty of qualify as that?

And what about warnings about infractions? I've racked up a couple of those for discussing certain sensitive content...

What do you mean by backseat moderate? Do my "wave-offs" (the posts where I redirect from profanity, personal attacks, attacks on religion, etc) I am sometimes guilty of qualify as that?

And what about warnings about infractions? I've racked up a couple of those for discussing certain sensitive content...

Backseat moderation is usually stuff like "This thread should be locked." If you see things in a thread that are against the rules, it is best not to respond to them and just hit the report button.

Some of us moderators have infractions and warnings in our histories, it's not enough to disqualify someone. But infraction history is certainly considered for potential moderators, best to keep your nose clean as much as possible and not be a consistent troublemaker.

Backseat moderation is usually stuff like "This thread should be locked." If you see things in a thread that are against the rules, it is best not to respond to them and just hit the report button.

Some of us moderators have infractions and warnings in our histories, it's not enough to disqualify someone. But infraction history is certainly considered for potential moderators, best to keep your nose clean as much as possible and not be a consistent troublemaker.

Is giving a poster a heads up about potentially breaking a rule to give them a chance to fix it if they didn't realize it was wrong considered backseat moderating?

What is your favorite forum section?

I like General Discussion, Gameplay Questions, and Suggestions and Development Discussion. And Forum Games for silliness.

It's not a problem to embed that google calendar in SCF is it? Thanks!

Can't see why not, you did work so hard figuring out how to do it. :)