Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Does it make sense to do that?

In my opinion, no. Why should NASA-inspired mods get a forum of their own, but not Russian/Soviet-inspired ones? And if you have those two, why not ESA and China? Soon you would have a subforum for every real life space program.

Sorry but I don't really see the benefit.

Can mods see through profile privacy, as in the ability to see if the user is active whether it is set to private or not, eg me, normal users cannot see if I am online or not, but can mods see?

Yes, moderators can see the online status of users that have chosen to hide it.

In my opinion, no. Why should NASA-inspired mods get a forum of their own, but not Russian/Soviet-inspired ones? And if you have those two, why not ESA and China? Soon you would have a subforum for every real life space program.

Seems something better served with tags, either in-forum or user-maintained.

[NASA] isn't that hard to type :)

Well how about real-life inspired space programs?

It would basically be for all replicas that replicate past or modern space programs, from all over the world.

Probably not. It's easier to simply have users maintain their own threads, rather than have a plethora of sub-sub-sub forums.

I've got a few questions. These are for each individual moderator that may come across it to answer based on their experiences.

1- What is the funniest piece of spam you've ever come across on the forums?

2- Does it take you a bit of thought when dealing out infraction or can you tell at a glance whether or not a person needs to get hit in the head with the ModHammer?

3- Have you ever moderated while drinking? If you have, did you know that buzzed moderating is drunk moderating?

4- Are you having a good day?

I've got a few questions. These are for each individual moderator that may come across it to answer based on their experiences.

Most of them are dull, but I laughed at one for, uh, gentlemen's improvement which had funny pics.

2- Does it take you a bit of thought when dealing out infraction or can you tell at a glance whether or not a person needs to get hit in the head with the ModHammer?

Sometimes one, sometimes the other. Generally the more severe the rulebreaking the more thought and consultation is required.

3- Have you ever moderated while drinking? If you have, did you know that buzzed moderating is drunk moderating?

I can neither confirm nor deny any such activities.

I am well, thank you for asking.

The OP shouldn't need to police the thread. That's what we're for. Hit the report button and let us deal with it rather than get into a possibly contentious situation yourself.

Is it possible to ever get infractions removed?

Members are free to message the moderator that issued the infraction, and to take it up the chain of command if that is unsatisfactory. KasperVld's word is final, though. There is no appeal beyond him. Reversals do happen, but are rare. Remember, we are constantly talking things over in a chat while we work, and each infraction requires the approval of a more senior moderator anyway, so it's not coming from just one person, but rather reflects the effort of the team. For that reason, the seniors have rarely deemed it necessary to un-do a moderation action.

A badly translated recipe.

... Heater for warm milk to about 40 - 500C and the yeast pack it in, stirring , for 10 minutes purposes yeast blooms...

Yes, you want your "warm" milk to be 5 times the boiling point of water.

We try to react to the post rather than the person. Our subjective impression of the poster shouldn't enter into it. We do look at that person's infraction history, though, for a pattern of similar behavior.

Some folks have participated in our internal chat while tipsy, but they know better than to take moderation action while under the influence.

Not bad, thank you, though nasty hot.

1. A link to download a file named virus.exe. I kid you not.

2. Depends. Accidentally cursing or expressing an opinion rather...vehemently...often results in a lot of discussion. Telling the mods to "go and [redacted] a [homophobic term] like the [redacteds] they are" does not exactly make us want to give you the benefit of the doubt, although we do try.

3. Yes. The Forum coffee spill was a result I hear....I mean, no, we'd never do anything like that. Unless it's me. Anyone who says differently isn't in the habit of frequenting the chat Friday nights.

4. Bleh. My folks couldn't make it to dinner tonight :(

1. A link to download a file named virus.exe. I kid you not.

2. Depends. Accidentally cursing or expressing an opinion rather...vehemently...often results in a lot of discussion. Telling the mods to "go and [redacted] a [homophobic term] like the [redacteds] they are" does not exactly make us want to give you the benefit of the doubt, although we do try.

3. Yes. The Forum coffee spill was a result I hear....I mean, no, we'd never do anything like that. Unless it's me. Anyone who says differently isn't in the habit of frequenting the chat Friday nights.

4. Bleh. My folks couldn't make it to dinner tonight :(

At least you're still living in the house you woke up in...

Is it possible to ever get infractions removed?

To add to what Vanamonde said, even if reversed they still stay on your profile. I feel really badly about this because I once gave a mistaken warning to a good poster with an otherwise clean record, even though it was later reversed they still see it on their profile every time they visit it. You know who you are, and I'm sorry. :(

This set of questions are also for the mods, based on the idea proposed by Flymetothemun. I'm just asking these mainly out of curiosity...

1. Do you play with mods? If so, what is your favorite mod?

2. Which mode do you prefer to play KSP in? Why (if you don't mind sharing)?

3. Least favorite stock part?

This set of questions are also for the mods, based on the idea proposed by Flymetothemun. I'm just asking these mainly out of curiosity...

1. Do you play with mods? If so, what is your favorite mod?

2. Which mode do you prefer to play KSP in? Why (if you don't mind sharing)?

3. Least favorite stock part?

Not really forum questions, but I'll bite:

1. Usually. My favorites would be KER, Editor Extensions, and Chatterer. I like and use a lot of others, too.

2. Sandbox.

3. Hmm. The fixed landing gear, maybe? They look fine, they just don't have a place in the way I play.

How do you moderators define "Personally Attacking?" I've seen two posts from one person critiquing ships rather.. vehemently.. and although I reported one, the other was removed by a moderator without a report. So as not to talk about the actions of a moderator towards one's post.. How long does it usually take you to issue an infraction?

How do you moderators define "Personally Attacking?" I've seen two posts from one person critiquing ships rather.. vehemently.. and although I reported one, the other was removed by a moderator without a report. So as not to talk about the actions of a moderator towards one's post.. How long does it usually take you to issue an infraction?

It rarely takes more than a few hours, never more than a day that I've seen. I can't get into specifics of any particular incident, but you might remember that craft are not people, so:

"I think this craft is awful" is rude, but probably OK unless there are other circumstances.

"This craft is awful and you are awful for building it" is a personal attack and actionable.

Generally speaking, we don't take action against critiques of craft themselves, even if they are somewhat rude.

What is the moderator hierarchy and how does it work?

Can you say where everyone ranks?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82234-Your-moderators

Is there a way we can post hidden threads? (Threads only the OP can see) there are times where i just want to vent about stuff but just don't want other people or certain people to see.

PM yourself if you must have it on the forum. Otherwise just make a text document or something on your own PC.