Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

None have been added since February of last year. Maybe you're just noticing posts from some who are usually less active?

Hmm, entirely possible.

I guess I can hold off on the preemptive apologies for now then. ;)

i wanted to do a related question to the addons releases forum

if the last post of an X mod has more than a month, if I answer something it counts as necroposting right? -but if my post warns of any problems with the addon it is ignored or what?
and less old threads, passing to page 3/9 or so, I can reply something without violating any rules?( assuming that those threads last activity is less than 1 month)

21 hours ago, Shark4558 said:

i wanted to do a related question to the addons releases forum

if the last post of an X mod has more than a month, if I answer something it counts as necroposting right? -but if my post warns of any problems with the addon it is ignored or what?
and less old threads, passing to page 3/9 or so, I can reply something without violating any rules?( assuming that those threads last activity is less than 1 month)

[NOTAMOD]

Necros are only a problem if the post has no new content, such as "Bump" "Agreed," etc.  Adding info, asking a question or answering a still relevant question is fine.

[/NOTAMOD]

• 2 weeks later...

Certain topics are forbidden because they inevitably lead to rule breaking, mod abuse and thread locking. There are the obvious ones, like discussion of religion and politics, and then there's others more peculiar to a game forum. (I'm looking at you, Rule 2.2j!)

So, I imagine that there's already been some behind-the-scenes discussion on adding a Rule 2.2k to ban other perennial problem topics, such as "Is ____ cheating?"  I'm curious to hear some of mod community's arguments for and against adding such topics to the 2.2 list, and to a larger extent how you guys determine the balance (or try to) between allowing free discussion and putting too heavy a load on the moderator community. Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Certain topics are forbidden because they inevitably lead to rule breaking, mod abuse and thread locking. There are the obvious ones, like discussion of religion and politics, and then there's others more peculiar to a game forum. (I'm looking at you, Rule 2.2j!)

So, I imagine that there's already been some behind-the-scenes discussion on adding a Rule 2.2k to ban other perennial problem topics, such as "Is ____ cheating?"  I'm curious to hear some of mod community's arguments for and against adding such topics to the 2.2 list, and to a larger extent how you guys determine the balance (or try to) between allowing free discussion and putting too heavy a load on the moderator community. Thanks!

I'd like to add that too.  Also, anything beginning with "PSA"

5 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

To be perfectly clear, I am not proposing a Rule 2.2k for "Is ____ cheating", or for anything else-- I'm just guessing that such a proposal has come up before within the mod community, and am hoping they can tell us something about that discussion.

4 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

To be perfectly clear, I am not proposing a Rule 2.2k for "Is ____ cheating", or for anything else-- I'm just guessing that such a proposal has come up before within the mod community, and am hoping they can tell us something about that discussion.

Oh.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

"Cheating" threads aren't that big a problem, and they're more on-topic for the forum than politics or religion because they're actually about the game and how people think it should be played. By far the biggest problem with them that I see is people backseat moderating ("This again? Mods lock this!"). I honestly don't understand some people's inability to avoid clicking on a thread that they know they don't want to read.

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

I don't understand why people find this one so objectionable. In almost every case the thread topic is fine, but put "PSA" in front of it and some people go off their rocker.

26 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

"Cheating" threads aren't that big a problem, and they're more on-topic for the forum than politics or religion because they're actually about the game and how people think it should be played. By far the biggest problem with them that I see is people backseat moderating ("This again? Mods lock this!"). I honestly don't understand some people's inability to avoid clicking on a thread that they know they don't want to read.

I don't understand why people find this one so objectionable. In almost every case the thread topic is fine, but put "PSA" in front of it and some people go off their rocker.

Very true.  What I personally don't like is when there are several of the exact same thread.  VERY good point, though.  I know, I came off as really upset and wanting it banned, but I want people to look around a bit before posting.  And, no, I don't want to turn this into the Stack Exchange.  I hate how those places are.  You ask a thoroughly researched question, and you get down voted...

8 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Very true.  What I personally don't like is when there are several of the exact same thread.  VERY good point, though.  I know, I came off as really upset and wanting it banned, but I want people to look around a bit before posting.  And, no, I don't want to turn this into the Stack Exchange.  I hate how those places are.  You ask a thoroughly researched question, and you get down voted...

Part of the problem is that those who are new to the forum do not know how to do a key word search to see if the topic has already been posted; some of us more seasoned forum users are also having issues using the search forum. I'm not sure if there needs to be a tutorial or maybe an "introduction to forum search" thread or even if such an effort would actually be utilized ( I wouldn't mind doing it if I knew it was warranted).

Anyhow, sometimes one key word can make a difference between adding to an existing thread or starting a new thread. I will admit (and so will the mods), I have started threads that mirrored other threads simply because I didn't enter in the exact right key word, or held my mouth in a left-bent smirk, or whatever and never saw the thread in my search results.

I am not complaining about the forum or its set-up, but have often wondered if maybe there were some way to add an auto-search function so that when a new thread title is being entered, it searches existing threads by title to see if there are already related threads and possibly suggest either merging the new thread to the older thread, linking to the older thread as a child thread, or maybe restructure/re-title the proposed thread.

4 minutes ago, Whizzkid said:

Not sure if it has been asked before, but what do the dots mean that are above a user's avatar?

[Disclaimer: I'm not a moderator]

I've read that those are based on your reputation; note how people with more reputation have more dots.

3 minutes ago, Norpo said:

[Disclaimer: I'm not a moderator]

I've read that those are based on your reputation; note how people with more reputation have more dots.

[notmod]No.  It's actually based off of post count, so I've heard, but @KasperVld should know.[/notmod]