Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Has there ever been an idea to automatically lock posts once they read a certain period of time with no post activity or viewing activity? Or would such a thing even be possible to prevent old ideas spreading and confusing people?

13 hours ago, Maximus97 said:

Has there ever been an idea to automatically lock posts once they read a certain period of time with no post activity or viewing activity? Or would such a thing even be possible to prevent old ideas spreading and confusing people?

It's been suggested (including by me back before I was a mod). While it seems like a good idea on the surface it kinda falls apart when you look more closely at it:

- People would bump their threads to keep them from being autolocked
- A thread being old doesn't mean it's no longer relevant
- Threads about mods, particularly, often still feature functional mods even if they haven't seen any action in a while

Basically, an occasional bad necro for the moderators to deal with is less bad than preventing all the valid necros and encouraging thread bumping.

I know this might be a nightmare, but is there a way to that the forum could be allowed to set up sub-threads within a thread? An example of this would be @ZooNamedGames Real Space Program, A sub-thread could be set up for each of the various missions instead of having one massively long thread with never-ending posts. The benefits would be that all related posts could be kept in each sub-thread, much the way many of us use sub-folders within our documents folders on our computers...

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

I know this might be a nightmare, but is there a way to that the forum could be allowed to set up sub-threads within a thread?

Well, take a look at mission reports, including my own. People create links and have posts in their own thread that they update with information about different programs or missions they do. I imagine they can do it that way.

I know this might be a nightmare, but is there a way to that the forum could be allowed to set up sub-threads within a thread? An example of this would be @ZooNamedGames Real Space Program, A sub-thread could be set up for each of the various missions instead of having one massively long thread with never-ending posts. The benefits would be that all related posts could be kept in each sub-thread, much the way many of us use sub-folders within our documents folders on our computers...

Just a thought.

Not possible with the current software. I follow that thread, and I can see what you're talking about as there's a high volume of posting in it. Some possible solutions:

- Split off the chatter to an IRC channel or other medium rather than the forum thread
- Start a new thread for each mission in Mission Reports, keep the main thread for planning/coordinating

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Not possible with the current software. I follow that thread, and I can see what you're talking about as there's a high volume of posting in it. Some possible solutions:

- Split off the chatter to an IRC channel or other medium rather than the forum thread
- Start a new thread for each mission in Mission Reports, keep the main thread for planning/coordinating

Is there a way we could add a title field for new posts on this forum software?

11 minutes ago, Sampa said:

Hey, I have noticed that some announcments which we were allowed to post in are eventually closed.  Just curious, what is the policy on how long announcement threads stay open for?

There's not a set policy, it's more like we close them when/if the conversation becomes circular.

4 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

When the conversation is going around and around in circles with nothing new being added. 

hahaha, so in other words, when it becomes more of an unorganized staff meeting! 

Seriously, a question about the new forum +1 (rep thing, I think). Under the user profile, there is a link called "reputation activity" that when you click on it, there is nothing on the page. Am I missing something important or is this something that is in the works?

Edited by adsii1970

hahaha, so in other words, when it becomes more of an unorganized staff meeting!

Seriously, a question about the new forum +1 (rep thing, I think). Under the user profile, there is a link called "reputation activity" that when you click on it, there is nothing on the page. Am I missing something important or is this something that is in the works?

Doh!  ok, I get it now!  Thanks, guys, for helping me out with that!  :)

After clicking "Rep activity" click "Posts" to see rep given and received.

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Is there any to tell if a user is banned by looking at their user page? 

I think you accidentally a word. ;)

Not sure what regular users can see, moderators can see ban status in the block on the left under reputation.