Constellation Mission Packs Discussion Thread!

16 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I'm using EE for now.  It only seems to cause a bug with how the angle snap mode rotate gizmo works.

It worked fine for me at first, but when I tried to rotate a part while fixing my Fokker triplane, I accidentally chose offset, and even when I switched it to rotate the offset slider remained visible (it appeared to be centered on the root part for some reason) and I wasn't able to drag the rotate slider at all. I wasn't able to get the offset slider to disappear until I rebooted the entire game.

18 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Okay, so this is my current SPR wheel setup:

q8Pyk1Q.jpg

Which blocks the wheels.  How are all of you dealing with this?

So wheels are blocked by the battery? Does it drive when loaded just on its own?

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Is the no offset limits mod updated for 1.1 yet? I know Editor Extensions allows no offset limits, but when I tried to use it it would break the  offset and rotation tools entirely, so I had to remove it.

The mod of no-offser limits is not going to update it, he gave permission to incorporate it into EER, if you have an issue you should telll @linuxgurugamer

What is it, my precious? Is it stealable? Can we duplicate it, precious? No, no, we mustn't! Must come up with our own design, precious. No! We must steal it, making an original design is too difficult! But stealing is wrong, we must make our own. It's only wrong if they catches us, precious...

Is the no offset limits mod updated for 1.1 yet? I know Editor Extensions allows no offset limits, but when I tried to use it it would break the  offset and rotation tools entirely, so I had to remove it.

Which version of KSP and EEx are you running?

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which version of KSP and EEx are you running?

1.1.2 and whichever version of EEX is available from the forum thread. I reinstalled it so I could build Altair more efficiently and haven't had a problem yet, but if i do I'll let you know.

Ares V is largely complete, just a few kinks to iron out and bells and whistles to adjust, so I've begun work on Altair. It looks pretty good and it looks different enough from MJ's and MRS's that it can't be counted as plagiarism while utilizing the best design aspects of each one.

This is the only picture I have to show currently, and it's really just a complaint about how I spent ten minutes perfecting the struts on the descent stage and then had them all lose their connections when i either rotated it or pressed CTRL+Z. wmEQUfc.jpg

Kill me now.

Just now, pTrevTrevs said:

1.1.2 and whichever version of EEX is available from the forum thread. I reinstalled it so I could build Altair more efficiently and haven't had a problem yet, but if i do I'll let you know.

Ok.  I think you may have had an old version which had some issues.

Let me know if anything else happens.

LGG

While reading through the Wikipedia articles for the Ares rockets, I found a concept for an "Ares IV", which would have combined an Ares V core stage and SRBs with an Ares I second stage. My guess is that it would have been used to launch an Orion to orbit the Moon, like Apollo 8. So I decided that in order to make a complete Constellation lunar mission pack, I would need an Ares IV.

Mission album

Spoiler

wh93wXL.png

Quite a monstrosity, it lacks the sleek likes of Ares V while retaining the utter goofiness of Ares I.

RXLf3hf.png

Well, looks like atmospheric shading can make anything look better! J.J. Abrams would have a heart attack out of joy if he laid his eyes on this photo. Too bad be probably doesn't know what Kerbal Space Program is.

46apXqH.png

SRB jettison. I think the first stage is probably a little overpowered, I almost had a suborbital trajectory by this time and I purposely switched to a less efficient trajectory so it would feel like the rocket is more balanced.

MEZNYow.png

Trans-Munar Injection burn with the Ares I second stage. I aimed for a free return trajectory and intended to make course corrections with the Orion main engine.

3V4Cawa.png Unfortunately, the fairings had left a final gift for me to discover later. the spacecraft's audio transcript for the flight reads as follows: 

CDR: "Flight, Orion, I'm not getting a signal on the solars, and our power gain is still reporting a drain."

CAPCOM: "No response at all?"

LMP: "Nothing. My only guess would be that the, uh, fairing probably knocked it off during launch."

CMP: Checklist lists lack of electrical power as grounds for an abort"

CAPCOM: "Alright, Flight says we're working on a direct abort burn for you guys, estimated time to reentry is about 6 hours."

LMP: "We'll have to shut down most unnecessary equipment like cabin lights and Jeb's beer cooler and quesadilla maker."

CAPCOM: "Flight says he wants to talk about that later"

qwGPsl2.png

Direct abort burn, not too hard because I was already on a free return trajectory.

vDQcvLX.png

Orion reentry, 4 hours later.

jAHNFYX.png

Thanks, scatterer, now I can enjoy looking at my ships landing on parachutes again!

y8hGTMI.png

I can also enjoy looking at them landed in the water again!

My wheels deactivated issue is not what I thought it was, it is only when it is in the lander. As soon as you release it, it works fine. :)

I am still not 100% happy with the Hab release mechanism I have, that was a tricky one, and with hindsight I could do it more elegantly but it would require another rebuild of the lander which ain't gunna happen or this pack will never be finished.. I will test it on Duna as I suspect the lower gravity will help a lot.

Ares 1 is 99% done and the landers are balanced and flyable which is ace. my hab lander has 4 motors not 6 as the extra 2 will clip into my SPR and generally get in the way so I ditched them.

Little help to start guys!!..I'm a little confuse, on the first page there is a link to original "Majorjim's original mission pack" but it seems from 2014 and you have posts from this year with a Duna pack, what is the location for the most updated version?, I desperetly want to test this and help in anything that is needed since I pretend to use it for a Mars mission talk at the end of the year..

Have a fresh ksp install and some experience installing plugins, etc..so please point me in the right direction..

Best regards!

Mauricio 

4 hours ago, buhochileno said:

Little help to start guys!!..I'm a little confuse, on the first page there is a link to original "Majorjim's original mission pack" but it seems from 2014 and you have posts from this year with a Duna pack, what is the location for the most updated version?, I desperetly want to test this and help in anything that is needed since I pretend to use it for a Mars mission talk at the end of the year..

Have a fresh ksp install and some experience installing plugins, etc..so please point me in the right direction..

Best regards!

Mauricio 

It will all be stock so you don't need any plugins, but as far as I know all @Majorjim's Duna stuff is in the process of being updated for the latest version of KSP, hence why there are new posts in this thread. You will also need a great computer, @Majorjim does not spare any details, the part counts get pretty high.

7 hours ago, buhochileno said:

Best regards!

Mauricio 

Hey man, yeah as @selfish_meme says I made a pack a while ago that is most likely broken by updates now. I have been working on rebuilding all the craft to be better looking and better functioning. There are a few other brave builders tackling their own constellation packs as well.

I am quite close to finishing and am just waiting for some game bugs to be fixed.

Are you thinking of making a pack yourself or where you offering help with others?

I should add, also as @selfish_meme said you will need a good CPU to use these craft. I have kept each individual craft under 400 parts and the most that will be in one scene is about 800. That will be spread out over a few separated rovers and service craft so performance is good even with that many parts. These craft will also be hard to fly and to complete the full mission with all the in orbit construction will be very hard. 

I can put together a few save files with the crafts in various states of completion, and even with the two horizontal landers in place on the Duna surface and the Copernicus transfer vehicle in orbit. I cannot wait to show you guys what I have. It's the best work I have ever done.

me too!

6 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

It will all be stock so you don't need any plugins, but as far as I know all @Majorjim's Duna stuff is in the process of being updated for the latest version of KSP, hence why there are new posts in this thread. You will also need a great computer, @Majorjim does not spare any details, the part counts get pretty high.

Thanks, don't worry very high end computer, already find a package file on mediafire since the link here is broken, any other place to get the most updated version?

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Hey man, yeah as @selfish_meme says I made a pack a while ago that is most likely broken by updates now. I have been working on rebuilding all the craft to be better looking and better functioning. There are a few other brave builders tackling their own constellation packs as well.

I am quite close to finishing and am just waiting for some game bugs to be fixed.

Are you thinking of making a pack yourself or where you offering help with others?

Hey, nop I don't want to make my whole pack, so I would be happy to help I do have some experience with design and ksp ...My intention is not to reproduce the entire mission but key aspects...

18 minutes ago, buhochileno said:

me too!

Thanks, don't worry very high end computer, already find a package file on mediafire since the link here is broken, any other place to get the most updated version?

Hey, nop I don't want to make my whole pack, so I would be happy to help I do have some experience with design and ksp ...My intention is not to reproduce the entire mission but key aspects...

The craft in my old pack are most likely broken now by all the updates..

There is no latest version yet I am still working on it. I am also doing all the work myself on this rebuild which is how I like to work but it takes an age to get it all working together well. Especially with all the latest game bugs. Without those it would be out already.. 

What do you fancy making? The horizontal landers are the most fun for me, that and the rovers.

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

The craft in my old pack are most likely broken now by all the updates..

There is no latest version yet I am still working on it. I am also doing all the work myself on this rebuild which is how I like to work but it takes an age to get it all working together well. Especially with all the latest game bugs. Without those it would be out already.. 

What do you fancy making? The horizontal landers are the most fun for me, that and the rovers.

I find an old package on mediafire and at least it loads ok on the last ksp, i was kind of able to flight the rocket also...

Yes!,..I also like the horizontal landers as also the earth->mars transfer vehicle (sorry still in the process of learning the names, still reading the architecture reference..)

Just now, buhochileno said:

I find an old package on mediafire and at least it loads ok on the last ksp, i was kind of able to flight the rocket also...

Yes!,..I also like the horizontal landers as also the earth->mars transfer vehicle (sorry still in the process of learning the names, still reading the architecture reference..)

No problem man. Yeah I would read up as much as you can on it, it will really help when you come to build the craft.

let me know if I can help with something...

I appreciate the offer mate but I honestly don't need any help with it. I have rebuilt it so many times already! Those other rebuilds didn't pass muster so they sit on my HDD never to see the light of day. :D If you like, you can post your progress here man.

I prefer not to though, I like to keep it a surprise!

Edited by Majorjim

7 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I appreciate the offer mate but I honestly don't need any help with it. I have rebuilt it so many times already! Those other rebuilds didn't pass muster so they sit on my HDD never to see the light of day. :D If you like, you can post your progress here man.

I prefer not to though, I like to keep it a surprise!

sure I understand, are you planning to release a package later?, 

sure I understand, are you planning to release a package later?, 

Yeah mate, I have the two landers done, the transfer vehicle, Altair and Ares 1. I just need to make the Ares V launcher and wait for Squad to fix some game bugs..

I'm almost done building Altair, but I'm not sure how to build the airlock. does anyone have any ideas that don't require too many parts?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a way, but it's only there for show, Kerbals can't actually enter it.

EDIT2: Nevermind again... the airlock started to suffer a kraken attack when I tried to land on the Mun, making it impossible for me to control the lander's attitude and forcing me to abort the landing and jettison the descent stage. Then I found out that the ascent stage only has about half the DeltaV required to reach orbit, even if it uses its RCS. This is a lot harder than I thought.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

I'm almost done building Altair, but I'm not sure how to build the airlock. does anyone have any ideas that don't require too many parts?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a way, but it's only there for show, Kerbals can't actually enter it.

EDIT2: Nevermind again... the airlock started to suffer a kraken attack when I tried to land on the Mun, making it impossible for me to control the lander's attitude and forcing me to abort the landing and jettison the descent stage. Then I found out that the ascent stage only has about half the DeltaV required to reach orbit, even if it uses its RCS. This is a lot harder than I thought.

It always is with these kinds of builds matey.. Keep at it though! I have gotten rid of the airlock on my Altair, it does nothing and is just dead weight..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.