KSP 2.0 - What would you expect (or wish) for a sequel?

carlorizzante

Space stations and bases you don't need to cobble from parts not really meant for them. Colonies. And their related economy.

Actual live Kerbin.

Optional AI competitors to set a clock to race against; say, science multipliers are global; you are the second to Mun, you get only second pickings of science. And commercial operation of your fleet; refuelling stations the opponents can use... for a price.

Insurance.

A less insufferable craft editor. (Give an option to move a part closer/farther dammit! I once had to restore a craft from save, because the probe core which was the root part got lost somewhere in the shelves on the walls of VAB, probably stuck inside the scenery, unrecoverable!) And it could really use a hint widget to appear at the cursor to show which keys rotate the part given way. (plus stop rotating held parts at random! I hold the part the right way to a node, press alt to snap it, and it turns sideways! Plus what is it with setting a root part grabs and rotates the whole ship? Or that staging icons are see-through for clicks (if there's a part behind a staging icon you'll end up picking it up)? Or arbitrary limits on how far you can turn or move the camera? (have to move the craft around, because it just won't let me move the camera to the other side...)

Optionally a storyline. (search for something, following monoliths and other anomalies).

• 2 months later...

(I'm assuming KSP 2.0 is at least 5 years in the future and that normal computer tech will be way better by then.)

I do really and truly love the toy solar system of stock KSP 1.x.x. I don't want 1.0 KSP's system to be made larger. It's too late for that. People are already used to the toy scale and changing that would be immensely disruptive. All game balance is based upon the toy solar system and thus the entire game would have to be rebalanced.

That said, for KSP 2.0, I would love a full scale solar system (but still with the Kerbal planets! Even keep some of the unique-to-kerbol quirks of the system!). RealSolarSystem and RO have demonstrated that it is practical, gameplay wise. It would make the educational use of KSP extended, and present a more accurate depiction of real spaceflight.

This would also entail a few more major changes. For one, the entire game's parts would basically be made and designed from scratch. They should still be Kerbal parts of their own design instead of exact duplicates of real world rocket engines. The fact that you don't have much margin for error in many things compared to the toy solar system means that a bit of fuel diversity may be acceptable. I don't want full-blown realism stuff, that would be insane for the Kerbal Space Program. We're still dealing with little green men!

Robotics should definitely be a major part of a KSP 2.0.

Science should be its own distinct and unique branch of the game, much as building and flying are. Say you were to take a biological sample to Duna, and expose it. Instead of a readout, there would be a window popup with a view into the container showing exactly what is happening. And what happens would be determined not be a preset science defininitions config, but by a set of physical paramaters for the, say, Mystery Goo, and the actual environment. Taking into account nearby rocks or vegetation, the unique atmospheric composition of each planet, its exposure to light, the gravity, and soil composition if it is surface based. Material samples would be a simulation of what the various materials would actually do in the situation. Recording the results (which would be numbers on a sheet, with an optional box for you to write a description of what is happening) would give science.

Life: both in animal, plant, and microscopic forms, should be a part of the game. On Kerbin you would see strange kerbal cows and deer and bunnies and the birds that are always chirping at the space center. Trees and shrubs and all that jazz. Pickable flowers. Flowers may be picked for science, as well as tree leaves and grass samples. On Kerbin this wouldn't be too groundbreaking, though if you brought the samples with you to Duna and exposed them there, then you'd get science. If you also brought a Kerbal Bunny with you, you would get science and loose reputation, along with some of your own personal happiness.

Life on other planets is necessarily limited. Duna may have a few very very rare areas where microbial life can be found. Finding this stuff would be breaking news for your space program. Next up is Laythe. Laythe is right in the radiation fields of Jool (which I will mention later), so not much life can exist. In the oceans there are, however, small fish, and certainly plenty of microbial species all around in a diverse ecosystem. But all of that pales in comparison to the hidden treasure-trove: Vall. Vall's treasure is hidden underground in an ocean. An explorable one. Whilst microbes can be found living in the ice, an entire underwater ecosystem to rival Kerbin's is underwater in an underground ocean. There would be alien sea creatures of varying designs. I'm sure the artist in charge would have plenty of fun designing the various species on Laythe, Kerbin, and Vall. The door could also be left open to planet modders, who may want gigantic dinosaurs built to terrorize your kerbals and spacecrafts on modded planets. Certainly something that would be great for an interstellar expansion. Indeed, some life on Vall and Kerbin may be hazardous to your spaceships. Kerbal tiger-like things may try to attack roaming Kerbals. If you've PO'd a KerBull, he might want to ram into your spacecraft. Fighting back will invariably involve a humane form of stun-gun.

You could also abduct creatures. Say you had a big cargo bay that could be pressurized whenever needed. You could lure a Rhinoceros into the cargo bay, shut it, and then take it to Laythe to see if Rhinos can survive there. When it dies, you lose reputation and smile at a job well done.

Kerbals may have some kind of health system, tied to hunger and environmental effects. Walking around, overheated and trying to run on the high gravity of Eve may lower the max health of a Kerbal. Colliding with things lowers health, which slowly replenishes itself back to the maximum. Medicine can be taken both to raise the maximum and to heal faster. When colliding with things too much to the point of zero health, the Kerbal poofs into dust. :( If however is is not eating food, his or her health drops as well. A starving Kerbal does not die, it just hibernates. Closes its eyes and dreams of a time when it can have snacks again.

Another problem to deal with is radiation. Radiation lowers both the maximum health and the health of a Kerbal. Kerbals can die of radiation sickness, but this is rare unless you've had them hanging on the side of a nuclear reactor for the past two months. Nuclear engines can emit radiation, as does the sun. The Sun itself however may be quite calm and never release solar flares or CMEs. Just the constant solar wind. Planets have magnetic fields that deal with radiation. One of the scientific instruments may be a geiger counter as well as a magnetometer. The geiger counter can be turned on to click based on the amount of radiation. Crashing nuclear rockets into planets also causes sites of radiation until it can be cleaned up (which can only happen on Kerbin). THis brings us to the next and final major feature:

Civilization. Kerbals, now that they are on a full scale solar system, surely musn't be living underground for their entire lives. In fact, they get procedurally generated cities, perhaps with a few landmarks custom made. Crashing into a building will destroy it. Luckily no one will die as a result because everyone will have evacuated (an in-game text assures us this). Crashing into a building will severely lose reputation and funds. Cars also drive around cities. As it happens they are all airtight. This means you can grab a car with The Claw, then take it with you to space. Launching from the intersection of a road in a major city? What's the big deal! Urban Space Program, right? As long as you don't crash into anything on your way up.

The space center will be near a city, but not too close to it because that would be dangerous. Roads and train lines go between the cities. There's also a train station at KSC. You could grab a train into space if you wanted to. And a parking lot with cars. Cars are affected by explosions, and can also be stolen and driven by your astronauts. Kerbals wander around the space center when nothing is on the launchpad, and they are physically identical to astronauts except for their clothing and the fact that they walk around with their own A.I. They talk to other Kerbals. They may even try to talk to astronauts, who may or may not respond based upon courage and stupidity.

Kerbals also chatter a lot. They speak backwards spanish phrases to mission control, but you can only hear them if you mouse over their IVA portrait. They have a few idle animations. Every thing a Kerbal can do is also animated. Wheels don't just pop back, a Kerbal has to take a wheel out of hammerspace and fit it to the rover. Kerbals take out a little jar and scoop it through the ground when collecting surface samples. They look around when doing EVA reports.

So for me the zeroth thing is a new engine. Unity's done pretty well but a game engine designed for games on a planetary scale could be so much better.

Then the first thing I want is much richer and more detailed celestial bodies. Now I don't realistically expect KSP 2's planets to have the same kind of detail as smaller worlds in "AAA" games, but it would be nice to be able to wander around for a bit and actually feel there's interesting detail to look at, and it to actually look like a real surface not a textured polygon. This is the main thing that I feel demands a new game engine.

The familiar planets and moons. Maybe joined by new ones, maybe changed quite a bit, but still recognisable.

A reconsideration of the system scale. Now I don't think real scale is good for gameplay, the chief problem is launches to orbit take a long time. But I think Kerbin and the system could stand to be enlarged somewhat.

Real Science, combining a much broader range of real scientific instruments with methods of science collection that are more than just click-to-get. For example a seismometer could require sitting on a stationary platform for a few months, while a barometer should be run as the craft ascends or descends through the atmosphere. And instead of just run experiment, get points, perhaps a system that models the use of experimental data to learn about the planet and allows the player to gain by having results from different experiments combined.

A more procedural approach to craft building, allowing a rocket stage to be a single tank of a player-chosen size. (Though probably with coarse, "chunky" increments compared to Procedural Parts).

A logical and modest extension in terms of complexity and to an extent realism. I don't like Realism Overhaul, it's over-complicated for the gameplay benefits, but some of its ideas could have a place in the stock game. For example KSP 2 might have a few more types of rocket fuel, but not the hundred-odd fuels and tiny variations in fuel:ox ratio that RO gives.

Single-player and multiplayer game modes.

And finally, and perhaps above all else, a purchase price. "Free to play" needs to go die in a fire.

There are a few things I would like to see:

• More planets in the Kerbol system, to include a binary planetary system, ringed planets, etc.
  • Two neighboring star systems - doesn't have to be anything fancy.
    • I'd like to see a binary star system. I think it would make some neat challenges.
    • have a nebula that would interfere with communications...

[*] Cities on Kerbin and the ability to construct new bases (as stock). (Although I would love to use Kerbinside, I am not sure I can handle any additional mods at this time.)

[*] The ability to build cities on the other planets in the Kerbol system.

Fluid dynamics, advanced thermodynamcis, other materials (and joint strength depends on density, not mass!). Proper electrical flow so we can build our own circuits with ease, switchable collision detection, proper raycasting (sun and lights go through everything). simple stock bearings, miniaturization (talking cm range here!) ... that's about it.

You guys go gallivanting around the galaxy.

I'm gonna build engines, airplanes and racing cars!

I thought it would be fun to have a system generator. So when you start a new game the Kerbol system is generated procedurally. You have to experiment within the context of your new system to figure out things like getting to orbit...not to mention just unlocking and exploring a brand new system with new moons and everything.

I really wish I'd seen this thread before it degenerated.

For nearly all of the things mentioned - Unity/Engine, mods, can be done with KSP as it is.

For most of the rest - hello! This is computer business. If it doesn't make sense it doesn't compute. If it doesn't make money it isn't business.

For the remainder - thank you for the rare breaths of sanity.

FWIW: Squad have done a brilliant job of producing a brilliant game. It's not perfect but it is (within the limitations of computation and the engine) perfectable. Version numbers are as much about marketing strategy as they are about features and functions (let alone bugs!) so the first question is ... what would make Squad want to stop 1.xxxxx and make KSP 2.0 anyway?

There are three reasons -

1) They stop development of KSP and do other things (I'll pre-order as soon as they announce) then come back to it in a few years.

2) There is such a huge, fundamental, change in how they develop KSP - new engine, entirely different game-dynamic or even new solar-system - that it really needs to be called a different version (purchasing decision reserved, but probably)

3) They keep developing KSP as it is but want to stop free updates so we all buy again (I'll pay).

Withiin KSP 1.xxxx what I'd like to see most is more procedural parts, such as fuel-tanks. That's already moddable and doesn't take too much from the easy construction mechanics which are an essential part of KSP, as far as I can see.

The only 2 things i truly give a crap about are bug fixes and performance improvements. While there are always more parts that would be nice, most ones i have any use for are either already stock, or in some of the higher quality mods. Id much rather be able to run a 1500 part ship before the lag gets unplayeable, then have more and more parts. That, and id rather not have the game crash, eat ships, or corrupt saves every once in a rather short timeframe.

As for extras, im looking forward to multiplayer, STABLE AND RELIABLE multiplayer, so that i can go online and vaporize stuff in real time (turn based combat aint half bad, but its more fun when the enemy is actually trying to avoid your ordinance). DMP is too bugged to spend more then occasional time in right now, especially interation wise. At best DMP is nice to make some station that multiple people add to, actually interacting (docking, shooting each other, ect) is very bugged.

Edited by panzer1b

Bit less cartoonish kerbals (huge heads and small bodies are good for space softball, not good IVA).

Closer to reality scale.

New system, more objects.

Inclined orbits and axis for planets and moons.

n-body physics (oh boy)

Things like better aerodynamic and a WORKING thermal system would also be nice. I like to play with RemoteTech and we're basically getting RT Lite in a coming update so lets assume something like that would also happen in 2.0.

Uhm, personally? More / better of the same really.

In a not prioritized wishlist, juuuust random stuff.

1. A longer, more sensible (not necessarily realistic) tech progression. Starting from simple rockets and planes, manned and unmanned... going over earth analogue technological development and into the future.

2. Possibly a little bigger kerbal system, but a few nearby star systems would not be out of place, especially if we can move into the future technology wise.

3. There are many good mods for ksp, I would love to see some of them built into the game with the same finish or in some cases the game brought up to the same kind of finish at the mods. Off the top of my head...

Spacestations

Surface bases

Life support

Communication challenges

Ressources gathering, processing and manufacture...

Actual construction of things taking time and money and with an eye to things like mass production and benefits from that (liiiiittle too much spaceplane and SSTO stuff at the moment, which I think might belong in future tech imho).

Autopilot

Everything fully and seemlessly integrated, read below.

4. Better graphics, not necessarily more realistic. I still love the cartoonish looks of the worlds and the kerbals, but just better.

5. Good performance offcourse... Whole new engine / something ...

6. A fully scalable and tuneable difficulty seemlessly adding more and more features/complications. Like antennarange, coverage and link requirement, autopiloting, Lifesupport, costs and requirements and what not.

7. Less micromanagement in regards to eg. collecting science from every instrument. Or have trained kerbals do it automatically (possible with class requirement). Let me designate a primary research station/base and whether they transmit only transmittable stuff or everything or keep everything til they get home to it. Dependent on the craft being well designed offcourse. But some missions should be entirely manageable from the base and with good planning. You should still be able to micromanage everything, if you want to... but you should also be able to concentrate on what you think is fun instead.

8. Better management of multiple concurrent missions. Either through some sort of timeshenanigans, that you can do each mission sequentially even though there happening at the same time (for manual control) or just the game quickly determining whether you've designed the craft appropriately and mission planned well enough for it to succeed and end up at where you expect it to be (no physics messing it up) with expected ressource usage/loss (like on rails).

9. Better management for large spaceprograms.

10. Ai competitors? Replaceable by human competitors?

11. A little story mode wouldn't hurt?

12. More karbal esque/scaled realism, but still scalable for the player.

13. Fully moddable offcourse, since people have different tastes and would like to tweak all sorts of things. Play with real looking planets and ships and what not... But the base game should have the best of all the mods in it from the get go and in the game's particular style.

14. Better audio or in the sense of Kerbals could talk a little more ;) Preferably not just random chatter... But as audio warnings if things are starting to go wrong... fuel levels are low... Enthusiatic exclamations when going into orbit and becoming weightless, landing on minmus, tasting minmus and curiosness about new things (audio queue about new science).

More / better of the same... A game that can fluidly scale difficulty and player ambition and goals... Whether you just wanna build stuff, not fly it. Fly it, not build it... Manage a huge complex thing in every little detail or just wanna have the big spaceproject from an eagles eye perspective. It should be a long and deep game, if the player wants it to be.

Personally? I would buy that game for full retail price in a heartbeat. :o

Edited by 78stonewobble

I really would like to see more life on Kerbin, maybe some cities that we could see the lights from space, as it's just a giant greenland.

Also some biological life to discover on other planets, maybe another kerbin like civilization too. Instead of just the kerbol system we could have an entire galaxy.

But what i find missing the most is for exploration, mainly planetary features when you land like: erupting volcanos you could try to land close, sleeping volcanos that would suddenly erupt, or sudden ground breaking earthquakes at your colony site, dust storms/tornados, tsunamis and all sort of different dangers other planets have. Maybe even have a weird biological wormtype monster who could swallow your ship.. The list is infinite with the possibilities of the universe. Ofcourse we would have new science tools to prevent and detect all these scenarios.

But my main concern is that all the planets we currently have and land on are all safe and there is no real danger making it a bit boring.. You can't really land on the "wrong" place unless you land on a slope and your lander tips over..

KSP 2.0 would have to have lots of improvements on the 1.2-1.3.

Would have two items on the top of the list, first would be interstelar with multiple star systems, take an combination of recent discoveries like very hot sun hugging planets and plausible fictional ones.

Include other stuff like double stars and neutron stars / black holes.

Second would be better graphic and visuals

ACTUAL SCIENCE/planetary surveys/evolution of mission profiles based on past success/failure!

Options for where to set up your space centre with various perks depending on sponsorship etc. (Rival space agencies could then enforce mission deadlines by 'beating you to it')

An actual space-capable civilisation living on Kerbin, possibly some life elsewhere.

More natural phenomena, e.g. earthquakes, weather, volcanic activity (for jeopardy of missions and for science!). SOLAR FLARES! :D

And lastly, maintenance of equipment. Engineers should need to overhaul certain parts (like cabins, engines, control surfaces, chutes or thrusters) every once in a while or under some circumstances they lose some functionality e.g. engine gimballing, or ultimately explode.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

A finished Kerbol system as well as a few other star systems to visit. Warp drives, cryo vats etc I don't know, but somehow. I hate having to install the mods, they crash my comp so much xD. I'd also like to see geological changings e.g smack a meteor into a planet, make a crater etc. I'd love a bit more Interstellary action e.g 'get back to your ship before the solar storm, or achieve orbit before the sandstorm destroys your ship etc etc. That being said, I love Kerbal just as it is and I wouldn't be sad if they stopped making updates altogether. Please don't stop tho!