HDYPOTD: How do you pronounce the -apsis twins?

Superfluous J

It's been almost a day since we've asked people how they pronounce things, so here's today's How Do You Pronounce Of The Day.

Apoapsis. Periapsis. I've heard the final "-is" pronounced and I've heard the words said as if the letters just aren't there.

Scott Manley, for example, who insists on throwing all kinds of extra letters in aluminum so as to make his weird pronunciation sound correct* pronounces these two words as if they are 2-letters less long.

So what is it, forum? Peri-apse? Apo-ap-sis? Something else?

*I'm joking. I don't care how people pronounce "aluminum" or why.

Edited by 5thHorseman

It's been almost a day since we've asked people how they pronounce things, so here's today's How Do You Pronounce Of The Day.

Apoapsis. Periapsis. I've heard the final "-is" pronounced and I've heard the words said as if the letters just aren't there.

Scott Manley, for example, who insists on throwing all kinds of extra letters in aluminum so as to make his weird pronunciation sound correct* pronounces these two words as if they are 2-letters less long.

*I'm joknig. I don't care how people pronounce "aluminum" or why.

I pronounce it AP-oh-ap-sis and PEAR-ee-ap-sis

Edit: Sorry, I meant: PSA: I pronounce it AP-oh-ap-sis and PEAR-ee-ap-sis

*I'm joknig. I don't care how people pronounce "aluminum" or why.

Are you talking about aluminium? I only ask because if your going to critique someone on how they pronounce a word you should probably understand how it is first spelt. It's true Yanks mispronounce aluminium as aluminum but that doesn't mean that is how it's spelt or properly pronounced. Just saying.

Are you talking about aluminium? I only ask because if your going to critique someone on how they pronounce a word you should probably understand how it is first spelt. It's true Yanks mispronounce aluminium as aluminum but that doesn't mean that is how it's spelt or properly pronounced. Just saying.

It was a joke. Just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to meat you joknig. :P

Oops. I did meat joking. Erm, I meet joking. Erm, I meant joking. Corrected in the OP, lest someone think I was not in fact joking.

The etymology of aluminum as used in North America is very much like our use of soccer. Davy first used alumium, but 4 years later in his book (1812) he used aluminum. Only later did he change it to aluminium. At this point, the original spelling was already in common use in North America. In a sense, the North Americans are spelling it correctly, or neither of us are (and it should be simply alumium). It's just like soccer, which was coined by the British as some sort of slang for asSOCiation football, and that word landed in North America, and we stuck with it, even though it got changed on the continent, and we (US/Canada) never got the memo until it was too late.

I can copy paste too.

However, the name 'aluminium' was adopted to conform with the -ium names of most other elements. In 1925, the American Chemical Society decided to go back to the original aluminum, so the United States uses a different name from most other countries.

Apogee/ Perigee is only for Earth, it come from the Greek word apogeos or far from earth.

The apsis twin:

An apsis (Greek á¼ÂÈίÂ, gen. á¼ÂÈίδοÂ), plural apsides (/ˈæpsɨdiËÂz/; Greek: á¼ÂÈίδεÂ), is a point of least or greatest distance of a body in an elliptic orbit about a larger body

Quote from wikipedia. Well it's a more general term

I recall seeing somewhere (but I can't find it now so I may have been smoking paint) that apoapse/periapse were recognised-but-not-preferred alternatives to apoapsis/periapsis.

Regarding specific terms for individual bodies (like aphelion for the sun, perigee for Earth, etc.) I'll sometimes change the suffix for in game bodies as well.

Sun (Kerbol): -helion (same as IRL)

Kerbin: -kee (by analogy with -gee for Earth)

Mun: -cynthion (I love Apollo terminology)

Minmus: -minim

Duna: -dune

'Periapsis' and 'apoapsis' are Greek, so they should be pronounced like Greek words. In particular, the 'r' is more like the Spanish 'r' than the English 'r', and most vowels are different from English.

Ay-poh-apsis and peh-ree-apsis.

And I build my rockets from aluminium alloys. None of these strange aluminum alloys for me, thank you very much. :)

Apple-apsis and Peary-apsis. Apples are larger on top and pears are larger on bottom, so it's easy to remember which is the top of the orbit and which is the bottom. :wink:

I think the alternate terms "apoapse" and "periapse" are equally fine, though.

Edited by Coyote27

The -gee is used for Earth exclusively, -apsis is general.

wiki source

The interresting thing is that it is referred as Apsis and Periapsis not Apoapsis.. strange...

To throw something in the Aluminium discussion... for our german friends: Wer man gegen ein Minimum von Aluminium immun ist,besitzt "Aluminiumminimumimmunität" :cool: