KW Rocketry Community Fixes, for 1.0.5 and below

linuxgurugamer

ok.  I put your directory in my install, and it worked, saw the Experimental Rocketry.

So, can you please send me your save file?  If you could zip up the whole game and send me the link in a private message, I'll download and test that.

LGG

1 hour ago, Tommy59375 said:

I suppose you could try to install all the mods in my list... (or I could ;p )

Anyway here is my KW community fixes.  I made a modification to the original KW by adding the original (non procedural) fairings from the 'FAR Compatible fairings' folder, but the 5m engines were not there before or after I did this so it probably does not have an affect.  I did not make any modification to the KW community fixes to my knowledge.

[link removed - it's the same as you would find in the download on the first page]

I found your problem.

You are running a VERY old version of ModuleManager (2.5.1).

I replaced it with the dll from 2.6.20, and it worked.

I'm guessing you aren't installing MM directly.  I suggest you use CKAN to install the latest ModuleManager

LGG

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I found your problem.

You are running a VERY old version of ModuleManager (2.5.1).

I replaced it with the dll from 2.6.20, and it worked.

I'm guessing you aren't installing MM directly.  I suggest you use CKAN to install the latest ModuleManager

LGG

Dawww what an idiot I am.

Sorry for wasting your time with such a simple problem!  I saw "modulemanager" in the GamaData and it didn't even cross my mind to check if it was the up to date version, especially since my other mods were working fine as far as I could tell... and I'm new to CKAN, have never used it before... I guess it was left over there from the last time I was playing KSP, was it really that long o.0 2014.

*sniff* well I'll go and sit in a corner now.

Edited by Tommy59375

8 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

What exactly is an omni decoupler

... do you not know? 0.o it decouples in both directions. Useful if, for example, you need to separate two ships and don't want a big decoupler stuck on one of them.

On 07/03/2016 at 9:34 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, nice to know.  You did push me to find the problem with the filters not working, so make sure you download the latest version of the patches to get that update.

LGG

Hello again, I bet you're glad to see a message from me!  But I have realised that the "engines glowing red hot" issue is not entirely resolved.  The liquid engines seem all to be solved but every single SRB still has the issue.  I did a fresh CKAN re install into a totally new directory which I created from the pure steam stock game download of 1.0.5

The tech tree problem is fixed and so are the liquid engines.  But the SRBs are not.

Shown below: all SRBs in power order (left-right) with an RT-10 stock booster in the centre for comparison.

Spoiler

85ee5e9daefbd51834aae72c6f46103c.pngff96d053035a3103382e00ba2e877a59.png

Edited by Tommy59375

Hello again, I bet you're glad to see a message from me!  But I have realised that the "engines glowing red hot" issue is not entirely resolved.  The liquid engines seem all to be solved but every single SRB still has the issue.  I did a fresh CKAN re install into a totally new directory which I created from the pure steam stock game download of 1.0.5

The tech tree problem is fixed and so are the liquid engines.  But the SRBs are not.

Shown below: all SRBs in power order (left-right) with an RT-10 stock booster in the centre for comparison.

Hidden Content

Thanks for the report.  I'll take a look, probably I didn't make the change for the SRBS

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thanks for the report.  I'll take a look, probably I didn't make the change for the SRBS

This has been fixed, new version uploaded

Problem was SRBs used a different name for the animation, had to modify the patch appropriately

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This has been fixed, new version uploaded

Problem was SRBs used a different name for the animation, had to modify the patch appropriately

Thank you very much I updated it with CKAN and that issue is fixed.

But I found another issue (?) this time with setting the thrust limiter for SRBs.  In VAB it seems if you set the thrust limiter to 0% the SRBs actually burn with half of their full power capacity.  Maybe this is intentional, maybe not, I do not know.  Back in 0.23.5 when I last used KW this was not the case however.  I am unsure in terms of more recent updates.

That isn't really a big problem for me though (but it would be nice to have the full 0 thrust -> 100% thrust in the same way as the stock SRBs (compared to the current 50% -> 100%)).  The real issue is again related to visuals I think.  It seems that the yellow exhaust flame's size depends on the thrust limiter setting and not the real thrust of the booster, to where when the thrust limiter is set to 0% there will be no exhaust flame, despite the booster actually providing some thrust.

I set up a demonstration.  Here are some Globe VI SRBs.  You can see that booster #1 has no exhaust flame, while booster #2 has a not very intense flame, and boosters #3 and #4 have brighter flames.  According to the thrust limiter value this is correct, but according to the amount of thrust they are in reality producing it doesn't make much sense.  For the stock boosters, a thrust limiter of 0% will make no exhaust flame and no thrust etc.

Spoiler

6004216674ae1a0c4182c75e8e98b0a0.png

EDIT also of note, is the SRB part descriptions.  Some contain burn times for running at 100% and 0%, while others say 100% and 50%.  So to me it seems that the minimum thrust value being set to half power is intended.  But the exhaust flames are still wrong.

EDIT 2 actually maybe it is supposed to be like this.  In which case what are the instructions I could take to fix this issue for myself by "modding the mod"?

Edited by Tommy59375

Selecting download from the KSP-AVC popup in-game still sends you to kerbalstuff.com which gives a 404 error (as with all kerbalstuff links). Can you update that, please? It's such a useful time-saver (when the links work).

2 hours ago, Tommy59375 said:

EDIT also of note, is the SRB part descriptions.  Some contain burn times for running at 100% and 0%, while others say 100% and 50%.  So to me it seems that the minimum thrust value being set to half power is intended.  But the exhaust flames are still wrong.

EDIT 2 actually maybe it is supposed to be like this.  In which case what are the instructions I could take to fix this issue for myself by "modding the mod"?

I haven't tested the latest version, or looked at the configs the community patches applies, but the part configs for the rocket you mentioned is "partL.cfg" found below. You could compare them to a similar stock, let's say the Thumper, which is "solidBoosterBACC.cfg" also found at the directory below. Main difference without looking at numbers is the KW rockets has a ton of added FX to it, while the BACC also has Test Results.

Oh, here's the answer to your question. The KW rocket has a min thrust level of "minThrust = 247.5" while the BACC has a "minThrust = 0." Adjusting that entry should let you throttle your SRB (I'm guessing).

Hope that helps some.

Directories:

/KWRocketry/Parts/Solids/075mAeroSRBs
/Squad/Parts/Engine/solidBoosterBACC

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Oh, here's the answer to your question. The KW rocket has a min thrust level of "minThrust = 247.5" while the BACC has a "minThrust = 0." Adjusting that entry should let you throttle your SRB (I'm guessing).

I am not looking to throttle the SRB, merely to adjust the thrust value with tweakables in VAB.

However this solution of editing the part configs for minThrust all to 0 does work fine it seems.

I have no idea the best way to include that as an option for people (incl. me if i ever update my game) that don't want to edit every part config file each time.  Could I write a module manager script so I don't have to do this to the config files if I ever want to change my game version?

But for now it is not an issue.  I am able to use tweakables to get SRBs burning as low as 5% power etc and the exhaust flames are correct.

Linuxgurugamer you might still want to look in to it though because it's a bit confusing for people when they first try to use the tweakables option for this, but probably not super important - it looks like the "problem" was like this in original KW, as I just modified the KW configs.

4 hours ago, Tallinu said:

Selecting download from the KSP-AVC popup in-game still sends you to kerbalstuff.com which gives a 404 error (as with all kerbalstuff links). Can you update that, please? It's such a useful time-saver (when the links work).

Done, it was on the ksp-avc site, I updated it.

Linuxgurugamer you might still want to look in to it though because it's a bit confusing for people when they first try to use the tweakables option for this, but probably not super important - it looks like the "problem" was like this in original KW, as I just modified the KW configs.

Nope, Not gonna do that :-)

All I'm doing is maintaining the patches.  I'm not going to be changing anything like that.

But the original author is still around, I think he may be working on it after 1.1 comes out.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, Tommy59375 said:

I am not looking to throttle the SRB, merely to adjust the thrust value with tweakables in VAB.

However this solution of editing the part configs for minThrust all to 0 does work fine it seems.

I have no idea the best way to include that as an option for people (incl. me if i ever update my game) that don't want to edit every part config file each time.  Could I write a module manager script so I don't have to do this to the config files if I ever want to change my game version?

But for now it is not an issue.  I am able to use tweakables to get SRBs burning as low as 5% power etc and the exhaust flames are correct.

Yay, glad to hear it worked. I'm not the most experienced with writing MM configs, but something like...erm...

So I started writing you an example and I accidentally wrote the entire thing:P. I haven't tested it, but it should work (if not, let me know and I'll poke at it). And I also explained an alternative method of getting the same result in the comments (and how to install it, etc).

For the sake of history, if people are curious as to what this does, it just targets every SRB (I separated the Ullage motors out into their own section if you need to remove them for whatever reason) by name and sets their minimum thrust setting to 0. Why is this useful? Currently, it would seem a number of KW Rocketry SRBs (maybe all of them, I didn't pay attention) have a minimum thrust "floor" that even with Tweakables and thrust limiters, can't be broken through. Until now (hopefully).

Anyway, it was your idea (and I don't want to get stuck supporting it:sticktongue:) so I titled it "Tommy59375's Fantastic minThrust Reducer Patch for KW Rocketry"  ---- and now if it doesn't work, I'm off the hook!:lol:

In the off chance I need to state it, you can consider this released into the public domain (or whatever I'm supposed to say). Do with it what you will.

And @linuxgurugamer if you want it for the patch pack (reading your above post, you don't seem to add to it, you just maintain, so probably not), go for it, not that it's anything special or that I think there is an overwhelming market demand for it.

Cheers.

(and if it really doesn't work, let me know; I'm not promising anything, but I'd rather not be plastering the web with shoddy merchandise)

Spoiler

//-----------------------------Tommy59375's Fantastic minThrust Reducer Patch for KW Rocketry-------------------------------//
//------------Place somewhere in your KSP/GameData/ directory.
//------------Requires Module Manager to work.

//------------STANDARD SRBs---------------------------//
//------------This should do all the standard SRBs.
@PART[KWsrbGlobeI|KWsrbGlobeV|KWsrbGlobeVI|KWsrbGlobeX|KWsrbGlobeX2|KWsrbGlobeX5|KWsrbGlobeX10L|KWsrbGlobeX10S]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]:AFTER[KWRocketry]
{
%MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
  {
    %minThrust = 0
  }
}

//-----------ULLAGE MOTORS----------------------------//
//-----------This just does the two Ullage motors, in case they (for some reason), need a higher minimum thrust.
@PART[KWsrbUllage|KWsrbUllageLarge]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]:AFTER[KWRocketry]
{
%MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
  {
    %minThrust = 0
  }
}

//-----If this, for whatever reason, doesn't work, try a simple "@minThrust = 0" instead.

• 2 weeks later...

It is nice to know you already support the future 1.1 release, not so much however, that that seems to have broken 1.05 installs. - At least I suppose that is my current Problem.

After doing a CKAN auto-update, while starting KSP, KW "Rocketry Community Fixes" now complains I should use 1.1 (which is impossible because it hasn't been released yet - or has it?).

Loading my current game I get a error, that 1 vessel couldn't be loaded, but the real issue is: Nothing works anymore! I cannot switch vessels, I cannot enter buildings (or if I can I cannot leave them).

Is there a fix? Or how can I switch back to the previous release?

Thx

Edited by Nobody6

Not sure what is going on, because the only thing that changed was a .version file but do the following:

1. Open the KSP directory
  2. Open the GameData\KWCommunityFixes directory
  3. Find and delete the following files:

KWCommunityFixes.version
MiniAVC.dll

I'm wondering if AVC (if you have it) or MiniAVC is getting confused.

Anyway, do these steps and let me know how it goes

Ok, I renamed the two files.

There is no longer a complain to upgrade to 1.1, but I still cannot play. There seems to be a missing "Mk2VTOLFuselage". I wonder where that one came from and where it went... (I'm not sure what else was updated).

Never mind, the part seems to belong to Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion and they know: "this update will likely break in-flight and saved craft". Oh well, time to edit the save file... and hope it helps.

Nope, after removing the vessel with the missing Part I get no error messages anymore, but I sill cannot do anything. :-(

Even though this might have nothing to do with the KW mod, I'm open to suggestions.

29 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Once you mentioned other mods, it becomes very difficult.

What other mods do you have installed?

A lot unfortunately. It's an "Interstellar" installation with all its dependencies and several suggestions plus some extra (like KW Rocketry).

The game itself seems to work again, but all recent saves are unusable. I cannot change craft nor save and I cannot enter the tracking station, the VAB or the SPH. I can use the other buildings, but if I do I cannot leave them.

I've tried to attach a complete list, but it seems I don't have sufficient permissions.

Edited by Nobody6