Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

It started! I´m very excited now, I hope to get me a better badge than "Rookie", but I´m guess I won´t :). I think "Lieutenant" would be fitting for guys who get into final stage. (Also updated the badge post with BBcodes and this stuff).

I'm looking at ways to space the planes apart as much as possible. This format, with parallel takeoffs, means the merge happens as soon as they bank, greatly advanteous to some designs, disadvantageous to others (e.g. my missile boat never had a chance, being designed to operate at greater initial range, usually with back-to-back launches.)

Check out my discussion thread to see how we can use radar to do this. I'm thinking two launch sites 10-12km apart, with a launch site in the middle (using dummy rockets with weapon managers) to kick things off.

What's the issue with YouTube, do they not allow uploads beyond a certain lenght unless you're a bigger channel?

No, 15 minute uploads are on and off. I don't understand why...

I've been able to run test dogfights with the start spacing as far as 7.5 KM, using the BDA Settings to increase Physics Range to 10KM. Vessel switching doesn't seem to work any farther than that.

I just tested frame rate and recording as well. Everything is looking good.

Edited by Guest

Thanks! Grab mine if you like Slam_Jones.

Actually if anybody is interested, they can grab my submissions if they like.

Edited by GDJ

If you want mine, take it.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a test with heatwave and stormwind and the heatwave won all of them, probably luck though.I'll need to do more tests. It doesn't matter how well they perform in tests, as long as one of them win in the official battle, that plane is the winner. Looking forward to the battle.

Would anybody mind if I grabbed their plane files for my own "testing"?

A lot of your planes look great!

If you mean downloading it and running it vs. other planes - go ahead! If you mean taking it apart and stealing all of its secrets - go ahead! If you mean coming to my house and stealing my harddrive - better not.

If you want mine, take it.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a test with heatwave and stormwind and the heatwave won all of them, probably luck though.I'll need to do more tests. It doesn't matter how well they perform in tests, as long as one of them win in the official battle, that plane is the winner. Looking forward to the battle.

Interesting. In my tests it was very equal. But the best battle was the first - stormwind fires missile into itself, explodes. Heatwave flies into the VAB simultaneusly. Draw :).

Submitting a design for the competition hosted by alphasus..

DCBadZy.png

Any competitor brave enough to challenge this mighty aircraft shall find himself/herself at the receiving end of an explosion.

You have been warned.

only trash talk

Armaments

(2 points)1x Chaff countermeasure

(6 points)2x Flare countermeasure

(16 points)4x AIM 120

(24 points)4x AIM 9 Sidewinder

(8 points)1x Vulcan Hidden Turret

(4 points)1x Ammunition Box

Total points: 60

Aircraft design:

olKSmjj.pngqKBx06O.pngtwY68Ps.png

Download Craft HERE

Aircraft Stats:

Max speed: Mach 2.42(800m/s) restriction from aerodynamic forces

Powerplant: 2x J-X4 Turbo Ramjet Engines.

Max. Rate of Climb: Mach 0.73(242m/s)

Max. Acceleration: 21.7m/s^2

Takeoff Speed: 120.5m/s

Landing Speed: 72m/s

TWR: 2.26

Action keys:

Brakes - Landing flaps

Light - Ground Lights

1 - Gear brakes

2 - Air brakes

Look forward to flying with you :)

Edited by Rdivine

The competition has begun so I think you need to wait for the next one. Unless there is another competition that I don't know. Good design though

The forum post mentioned that the competition is still open.. I guess the hosts forgot to change it..

Keep it for the next one - that F22 may fall foul of fuel tank clipping rules, thought I doubt you'd need so much fuel, so drain the mk2 parts.

You'll definitely need more countermeasures!

The fuel tanks aren't entirely clipped and are positioned under the fuselage itself.. It still is clipped though. I hope the host accepts the design.

Not enough points for countermeasures :(

That really was very entertaining still sad. 2 times hit myself with an AIM-120... :( Will have to re-engineer the missiles for the next tournament. I´m also disappointed that there was no 'real' fight machine gun vs. machine gun. Seems my countermeasures still can´t really distract missiles ... guess I just attached them in bad ways. :)

Nevetheless it was a fair fight. Congratulations, dangerouspeople1. Maybe I´ll find my chance in the loosers bracket.

That really was very entertaining still sad. 2 times hit myself with an AIM-120... :( Will have to re-engineer the missiles for the next tournament. I´m also disappointed that there was no 'real' fight machine gun vs. machine gun. Seems my countermeasures still can´t really distract missiles ... guess I just attached them in bad ways. :)

Nevetheless it was a fair fight. Congratulations, dangerouspeople1. Maybe I´ll find my chance in the loosers bracket.

Well, you will see one. That was round 7. However, the planes never got hit. So it was a test of who had more fuel.:)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the playlist.

From my test with the stormwind and the result of the battle, it seems that the stormwind can't get a chance to aim the missile at my heatwave before my heatwave starts spamming missiles. I guess if the distance between the air crafts are larger, the result might be different, further testing needed

WWOOOHOOOOO!! Victory by gas tank! :D

I'll give Slam_Jones full credit for trying. He was behind me the whole time. I couldn't get behind him.

The CF-86 is just plain small and it's hard to hit. As for fuel, it does alot with it's 80 units.

Edited by GDJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.