Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

My hope is now that the heatwave wins :). Then I can atleast say I lost against the best plane. :). (Or I´ll come back over the losers bracket ....)

Let's pray for the heatwave to win then:P

- - - Updated - - -

In my test, the GoldenHawk lost, but is was 2 v 2, now it's 1 v 1, who ever wins, I think it will be a close one.

In all of my tests, the goldenhawk has never lost a 1v1.

Hey Alphasus! Would you mind doing a small adjustment to the CF-86 if you could?

Just because it flies so damn boring, could you knock the Steering response from 10 to 11, the limit from 0.8 to 0.9, and the dampening down from 8 to 7.5?

It might make things a little more entertaining if nothing else.

Well I'm not that surprised at the outcome. The Typohoeus was outclassed. It faired a bit better than I thought it would, but......

Congrats to the winner! Great job!

Apologize for not locking the turrets, i thought the "MUST be fixed Forward" rule is just mean have it aim at front instead of rear or so.

For sure won't make it vsing the Mk1s, tested with my owns. Brought Mk2 to Mk1 fight is just going to end with fireworks.

@GDJ Thanks!

Seems really backwards to me. Or at least make ammo cost less...

Also, guess we never implemented the "stalemate" fuel rule? Or what was actually decided there? No rules at all? I just don't want it to turn into a bunch of fuel-heavy, slow planes flying circles til one crashes. That's not exactly fun to watch :\

I strongly recommend any future tournaments, if using a similar layout, use an anti parallel (opposite directions) layout. As it is, the first plane to bank 90 degrees and fire at opponent that is far too close nearly always wins. It doesn't make for many interesting contests.

I'm also baffled by countermeasures - it seems you need to use a ridiculous amount of them to be effective, which I think is why my CK-141C lost - it did get first shot, but missed every time.

Still, with the previous contest stalled we're getting close to our first completed contest, which Alphasus deserves credit for.

I strongly recommend any future tournaments, if using a similar layout, use an anti parallel (opposite directions) layout. As it is, the first plane to bank 90 degrees and fire at opponent that is far too close nearly always wins. It doesn't make for many interesting contests.

I'm also baffled by countermeasures - it seems you need to use a ridiculous amount of them to be effective, which I think is why my CK-141C lost - it did get first shot, but missed every time.

Still, with the previous contest stalled we're getting close to our first completed contest, which Alphasus deserves credit for.

Yeah, the balance of, well, everything seems a little off. I've had instances where I'll put 2 flares on a jet, and it'll dodge Sidewinders like a ballet dancer. Then I'll put a bunch on a different plane, and it gets hit every single time.

Also very unsatisfying that guns never hit anymore :\ Hoping that'll be fixed in newer patches. Missile matches are pretty boring...

I mean, theoretically, I could build a plane with NO weapons whatsoever, and win simply by carrying 20 minutes worth of fuel. As long as it isn't hit by the missiles in the first minute, it'll win. Doesn't seem right, does it?

Edited by Slam_Jones

Yeah, the balance of, well, everything seems a little off. I've had instances where I'll put 2 flares on a jet, and it'll dodge Sidewinders like a ballet dancer. Then I'll put a bunch on a different plane, and it gets hit every single time.

Also very unsatisfying that guns never hit anymore :\ Hoping that'll be fixed in newer patches. Missile matches are pretty boring...

I mean, theoretically, I could build a plane with NO weapons whatsoever, and win simply by carrying 20 minutes worth of fuel. As long as it isn't hit by the missiles in the first minute, it'll win. Doesn't seem right, does it?

Why not allow vulcan turrets with restricted(2 degrees or less) movement?

Hmm well that does potentially solve some of the issue, but that opens a whole new can of worms IMO. Allowing a little movement leads to a little more movement, leads to all guns being able to move, etc. etc. Or at least that's how I see it, and it would appear to change up the game substantially.

I hate to say it, but maybe just wait and see what future patches have in store of BDA. *shrug* No easy answers I can think of, at least.

I'm definitely gonna try the fuel-heavy unarmed jet just to see how it works in theory. Because if an unarmed plane can win a "Top Gun" tournament... well, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Of course, I don't think we should change the rules mid-tourney, but, y'know. Food for thought.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Why not allow vulcan turrets with restricted(2 degrees or less) movement?

Yes, this sort-of gives us back what we lost from 0.8.3 - auto-aim for nearly accurate shots.

It might be an interim solution, one to consider for the next contest.

I've added all these videos to the Top Gun AI playlist on YouTube btw. They're actually a useful archive for even Bahamuto D to see. I'll send him the link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.