Do You Consider "Is X Cheating?" Threads Useful?

Robotengineer

Do you find "Is X Cheating?" threads useful?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find "Is X Cheating?" threads useful?

• Yes, but only for entertainment value.
    • Yes, I find them genuinely useful.
    • I find them both useful and entertaining.
    • No, I do not find them useful or entertaining.

'Is such-and-such cheating' type threads pop up all the time, often times leading to useless arguments, ad hominem attacks, etc. Why do people keep making these sorts of threads if they never lead to anything useful? (IMO) Or am I the only one who finds them annoying?

You are certainly not the only one who finds the threads annoying. I think people keep making these threads because they didn't see the multitudes of other "Is X Cheating?" threads. How many does this latest one make?

Interestingly, the first two who replied here seem to be answering the "Is X Cheating?" question, rather than the question posed in this thread.

Unless you are making something for a challenge, it is up to you what's cheating and what is not.
It has been said before and it will be said many more times over.

This is a single player game.

I swear, the universe is getting dumber by the second.

Not satisfied at flaming at sarcastic responses to the original irrelevant question, people are now flaming at a sarcastic question making fun of that very irrelevant one?

The trolling potential of such threads is a major source of entertainment on these otherwise fairly dull forums.

This. So much.

If we didn't care at all how other people played, we wouldn't be on the forum.
This thread is cheating. Stahp it.

Really, just entertainment.. usually.

I find them useful for gauging how others play the game. If I make a new vehicle and a lot of other players would find it cheaty, I don't bother sharing it for download.

Best,

-Slashy

Exactly. If you don't care how others play, why are you on the forum?

PS, the logout button is in the top right of the screen :sticktongue:

On the annoyance scale, it's higher than actual content, but it's a lot lower than:

• Threads that capitalize "YOU" in the title
  • Threads that start with the letters "PSA"
  • Threads with "click me" titles that do not say what they're about. "Oh man you'll never believe this!" and the like.
  • Mod threads that say something is "NEW" but don't list a date so I have no idea if this thing was "NEW" in 2013 or yesterday.

At least the "is this cheating" thread starters tend to be genuinely interested in the opinions of the posters. The execution may be lacking, but points for effort and concern.

I consider making a thread about what's cheating is cheating and making a thread about what's cheating is cheating is also cheating. Conversely, not making a thread about not what's cheating is cheating is indeed cheating, as is implying a cheating thread about cheating is about cheating is cheating. Furthermore, making a post about what's cheating is cheating is also cheating is cheating, which is cheating. The way this can be prevented is by subtracting the amount of cheating from the amount of cheats and multiplying it by the "cheating about cheating is cheating" value and adjusting the "is cheating cheaters in cheats cheating also cheating cheaters cheating?" cheating level by that amount, but this might be cheating.

Edited by mythbusters844
Cheetas cheat cheetos cheating cheat McCheater cheats cheating cheetos cheetas cheater cheats

I consider making a thread about what's cheating is cheating and making a thread about what's cheating is cheating is also cheating. Conversely, not making a thread about not what's cheating is cheating is indeed cheating, as is implying a cheating thread about cheating is about cheating is cheating. Furthermore, making a post about what's cheating is cheating is also cheating is cheating, which is cheating. The way this can be prevented is by subtracting the amount of cheating from the amount of cheats and multiplying it by the "cheating about cheating is cheating" value, but this might be cheating.

LMAO Love the reason for editing too!

Exactly. If you don't care how others play, why are you on the forum?

PS, the logout button is in the top right of the screen :sticktongue:

Assuming that that isn't a rhetorical question.

Personally: to share kerbal related stuff that I've created and enjoy things that other forum goers have created; to find answers to gameplay problems and hopefully pass on a few answers of my own; to learn about new mods; to catch up on dev notes and to join in the odd debate on the Science sub-forum. Caring about and passing judgement on others' play styles comes about flat last on my list of reasons to be here.

I asked this question once. It was for orbiting satellites, and if just accepting "turn in X data from orbit" over and over was cheating. There was some good points made on both sides, and it changed both my style of play and my ideas on the matter.

It wasn't a "pathetic attempt at self justification". It wasn't anything other than me genuinely wondering if the game was meant to be played that way. And to be perfectly honest I have no idea why anybody would be annoyed or opposed to see these threads pop up from time to time... I mean lets get REALLY honest... how many 100% original threads do you see submitted on a day-to-day basis? I'd bet not many.

I read them enthusiastically. With a bag of popcorn on one side, too.

Very entertaining never-ending debate. I love it.

- - - Updated - - -

On the annoyance scale, it's higher than actual content, but it's a lot lower than:

• Threads that capitalize "YOU" in the title
  • Threads that start with the letters "PSA"
  • Threads with "click me" titles that do not say what they're about. "Oh man you'll never believe this!" and the like.
  • Mod threads that say something is "NEW" but don't list a date so I have no idea if this thing was "NEW" in 2013 or yesterday.

At least the "is this cheating" thread starters tend to be genuinely interested in the opinions of the posters. The execution may be lacking, but points for effort and concern.

Yes, so much this..

I read them enthusiastically. With a bag of popcorn on one side, too.

Very entertaining never-ending debate. I love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, so much this..

PSA: Your "Public Service Announcement" probably doesn't meet the definition of a public service announcement.

Assuming that that isn't a rhetorical question.

Personally: to share kerbal related stuff that I've created and enjoy things that other forum goers have created; to find answers to gameplay problems and hopefully pass on a few answers of my own; to learn about new mods; to catch up on dev notes and to join in the odd debate on the Science sub-forum. Caring about and passing judgement on others' play styles comes about flat last on my list of reasons to be here.

Ooh man, this as well. I never realized how many purposes the forums held.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.