Convair NEXUS - super heavy Historical Launch Vehicle

TiktaalikDreaming

Cool.

I'm not sure exactly what needs changing, especially with engines, but I do have all the real world values. All the scales I've used are 50% (1/8th masses/thrusts/etc) of the Convair values where it was useful. But once into RO, I also have fuel residual numbers and so on.

I can convert those values into a .cfg file.

• 3 weeks later...

The mod has been updated to mark it as KSPv1.0.5 compatible, and to add in new GCR model.

- - - Updated - - -

For the next release I'm going to rejig all the numbers to use stock fuels, no extras, and make Community Resources as suggest instead of a bundled/requirement, and use module manager to add in the LH/LOX etc etc IFF community resources is there. There's a wee bit of work involved. :-) And pobably a giant spreadsheet that will end up confusing the hell out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1.1.4 release contains Stock Fuel configurations and ModuleManager entries to convert to LqdHydrogen etc iff CommunityResourcePack is available. I haven't gone out of my way to create dodgy overpowered rockets though, so you may struggle to get lift off using the original configurations.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

• 2 weeks later...

Due to lack of me testing stuff properly, in the last few days I've noticed that the config for Community Resource Pack wasn't applying properly for many parts, tried fixing it by editing my dev game cfg files, and checking in a different KSP install, drove myself half crazy, figured out how daft I had been, fixed it, brought the high Isp GCR parts to beta grade, packed it up and uploaded it.

http://i.imgur.com/rVJrtaC.gifv

4 hours ago, halowraith1 said:

Could you do the Aggregate A-12, the unbuilt German orbital launcher?

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/a9a11a12.htm

a12.jpg

I'll take a look.  It does seem the A-10 main rocket would never have worked, but that's from very early research.  I should also check up on any existing mod work for V-2 etc.  Not "super-heavy" by any stretch of the imagination, but in many ways, the A-12 is derivative of it.

OK, I can't find any sign of parts packs for the V-2 rocket or the A-4 engine.  So, it looks like time for a small collection of some good old primasprit powered rockets.
From Operation Backfire, the British postmortem on the V-2 rocket, Vol1, p17;
59. Except against fire, no precautions were necessary when handling alcohol, but measures had to be taken to prevent pilfering the fuel for purposes other than rocket propulsion.
Not such an issue with other propellants.  :-)

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

On 12/7/2015, 1:50:33, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Due to lack of me testing stuff properly, in the last few days I've noticed that the config for Community Resource Pack wasn't applying properly for many parts, tried fixing it by editing my dev game cfg files, and checking in a different KSP install, drove myself half crazy, figured out how daft I had been, fixed it, brought the high Isp GCR parts to beta grade, packed it up and uploaded it.

http://i.imgur.com/rVJrtaC.gifv

looks so good i'm drooling,is this all part of the current pack?

On 08.12.2015, 1:33:48, TiktaalikDreaming said:

OK, I can't find any sign of parts packs for the V-2 rocket or the A-4 engine.  So, it looks like time for a small collection of some good old primasprit powered rockets.
From Operation Backfire, the British postmortem on the V-2 rocket, Vol1, p17;
59. Except against fire, no precautions were necessary when handling alcohol, but measures had to be taken to prevent pilfering the fuel for purposes other than rocket propulsion.
Not such an issue with other propellants.  :-)

Earlier of Tantares mod had V-2 clone named "Pavonis". Maybe still available.
Currently its maintainer moved it to Taerobee modas an American clone of V-2 named "Bumper". But with some design changes.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Earlier of Tantares mod had V-2 clone named "Pavonis". Maybe still available.
Currently its maintainer moved it to Taerobee modas an American clone of V-2 named "Bumper". But with some design changes.

@NathanKell mentioned that over in the topic I started to keep the Aggregates separate from the Nexuses.

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Hmm

Nope not quite big enough, needs to be BIGGER.....(JK!) Sorry Ive b een in Texas a bit to long...

Great work overall

Never fear.  Nexus size 2 is coming soon.  Twice the lift, twice the payload.  Mostly because I found I couldn't get anything using the high Isp GCR into orbit using the basic Nexus.

Hello. For this mod i deceded to regidter on this forum.

I dowloaded this mod and it ....SUPER! 

But when i start to build my first 2stage rocket in first i have a trouble with strange shaking at near 8km. After that i understand to use struts. With it i pull THIS in low orbit but, when i decded decouple second stage with bid high isp atomic engine all construction destroyed witn big explosion. And now i dont understand what i do wrong? Can anybody give me the model of fully workable ship? 

Sorry for my english, i`m from Russia and haven`t a big practice on language.   

sorry if i posted about this before, but i the engine that uses ablator along with LF+O of some sort has 2 engine modes, one that uses no ablator, and apparently has slightly better ISP and thrust, and another one, that has slightly worst ISP and thrust, and does use ablator. is this intented? it may have been fixed.

1 hour ago, 123nick said:

sorry if i posted about this before, but i the engine that uses ablator along with LF+O of some sort has 2 engine modes, one that uses no ablator, and apparently has slightly better ISP and thrust, and another one, that has slightly worst ISP and thrust, and does use ablator. is this intented? it may have been fixed.

That is intended.  When it's not burning ablator the effective Isp (including ablator) is higher, but the consumption of LH+LOX per thrust should be the same.  The ablator is a cooling mechanism, that's actually fairly common on rockets and this is my attempt at modelling it.  You should also notice that using the non-ablation mode will over-heat and explode fairly quickly.

10 hours ago, starship said:

Hello. For this mod i deceded to regidter on this forum.

I dowloaded this mod and it ....SUPER! 

But when i start to build my first 2stage rocket in first i have a trouble with strange shaking at near 8km. After that i understand to use struts. With it i pull THIS in low orbit but, when i decded decouple second stage with bid high isp atomic engine all construction destroyed witn big explosion. And now i dont understand what i do wrong? Can anybody give me the model of fully workable ship? 

Sorry for my english, i`m from Russia and haven`t a big practice on language.   

Starship, get yourself http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50911-105-kerbal-joint-reinforcement-v314-62215/

All large craft suffer from physics issues in KSP, and this mod does a fair bit towards fixing that up.

As to separating stages when you have really long engine sections, it's tricky at best, as your chance of the engine clipping the fairing wall is pretty good.  What I do is make sure all my acceleration is stopped and do my utmost best to cut any and all rotation.  Then I still cross my fingers.  especially with the high Isp engine. 

I'm also currently building a collection of demo/example Nexuses to replace the old ones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.