[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

5 minutes ago, drtedastro said:

quick question, for some reason I am having an issue with the wings and strake.

After I have installed them in VAB using mirror, they look great.  all heatshields on lower surface as expected.

Now for the fun, when i exit a launch and return to VAB, the wings are now left (port) side ok and right (strbrd) side upside down.

Anyone else have this feature???

I use extended editor and other mods to help with building, so I am removing those now for testing.

Any info on this would be helpful.

But no matter what Pak, this is a fantastic mod and update.

Cheers.

I have a mirroring issue in the VAB when I turn the shuttle, if that's what you mean. Its kind of a pet peve, since it means I have to do a roll, which is a pain for getting an equatorial orbit, but no biggie.

2 minutes ago, drtedastro said:

quick question, for some reason I am having an issue with the wings and strake.

I don't suspect a conflict, but let me know. 

The wings are kind of goofy but I couldn't figure out a better way to do it.

This might be your issue.

The tiles will always try to face 'down' in the SPH and VAB but they'll stick during flight. So for the VAB you'll want the bottom of the wings facing the left wall (the one with the flag I think?)

I'm using a mirrorRefAxis = 0, 0, 1 on the wings. If anyone knows a way to get them to behave better in during building let me know

6 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Hey, I made you something, @Pak. It's RP configs for the two engines in the mod. Just drop the "patches" folder into the main CA folder. And now you have a place to put any future compatibility patches. :P

Yeahhhh. Thanks!

I've been meaning to figure out how to do that but never got around to it. I'll stick it on the front page for now and add it in next patch.

34 minutes ago, Pak said:

I don't suspect a conflict, but let me know. 

The wings are kind of goofy but I couldn't figure out a better way to do it.

This might be your issue.

The tiles will always try to face 'down' in the SPH and VAB but they'll stick during flight. So for the VAB you'll want the bottom of the wings facing the left wall (the one with the flag I think?)

I'm using a mirrorRefAxis = 0, 0, 1 on the wings. If anyone knows a way to get them to behave better in during building let me know

A long time ago i remembered something like this.  I have found the other mod that had something like this.

link to old B9 Shuttle wings that had something like this mirror / rollover issues

dont know if that is of any help, or completely outdated.

And I will do the facing the flag wall trick as well.

many, many thanks to pak and all others for their info and help.

time to get more shuttle out there to burn up... I mean bring the little green fellows home...

Cheers.

6 hours ago, drtedastro said:

A long time ago i remembered something like this.  I have found the other mod that had something like this.

Looks like they just used mesh switch. I'll mess with the idea

5 hours ago, StevieC said:

"Browse Parts By Manufacturer"

I'll look into it

15 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

So with the lifting body parts working as wings now I wont have to use stock bug fix plus anymore to make them work right?

Right. I didn't test it without the body lift but it shouldn't be too different. Should be fixed next week or so with the 1.1.3 patch as well

Is anyone elses Airlock (and the docking port you attach to it for that matter) exploding on reentry? Doesn't seem to matter how hard I reenter, the Airlock explodes, taking the docking port with it. 

Strangely enough though, the lights lining my cargo bay don't explode despite having even less heat resistance.

1 hour ago, trooperMNG said:

That's really nice! Now let's wait for someone with more-than-decent skills to build a Buran with AB Launcher parts!

Due to the high gimbal on the engines in AB launchers, it shouldn't actually be too difficult as far as shuttles go. Give it a go yourself! That's the only way you'll get more-than-decent skills :wink: 

2 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Due to the high gimbal on the engines in AB launchers, it shouldn't actually be too difficult as far as shuttles go. Give it a go yourself! That's the only way you'll get more-than-decent skills :wink: 

Wanna help me make some stock and modded Buran and STS shuttles for people to download?

5 minutes ago, sharpspoonful said:

Wanna help me make some stock and modded Buran and STS shuttles for people to download?

PM me and pitch the idea to me, so I know where I come in and what I would be doing. We can talk there :P 

@Pak, just so I'm clear (and not rooting around forever my parts tabs :p), the Orbiter Attachment Hardware you linked to on page 16 isn't available yet, correct? My sleep deprived brain is struggling right now, and did not see it in the last patch notes.

EDIT: Mr. Meeb and I would like to to make some .craft files for you, Pak. I've made the initial orbiters, and will make both a modded and "stock" (Cormorant/Stock) only set.

"Stock" Orbiters:

Edited by sharpspoonful
:D

ModuleLiftingSurface seems to be missing from ShuttleB.cfg. The description promises that this lifting body will provide the lift and support my shuttle needs, but alas, tis not so.:(

(I noticed it was also missing from Shuttle Lifting Body A till the most recent update - my guess is it just slipped through the cracks).

Love the pack.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, sharpspoonful said:

@Pak, just so I'm clear (and not rooting around forever my parts tabs :p), the Orbiter Attachment Hardware you linked to on page 16 isn't available yet, correct? My sleep deprived brain is struggling right now, and did not see it in the last patch notes.

EDIT: Mr. Meeb and I would like to to make some .craft files for you, Pak. I've made the initial orbiters, and will make both a modded and "stock" (Cormorant/Stock) only set.

Right, the decoupler will be in the next part update.

Sounds good with the craft files. I'll definitely take a look at them

6 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

ModuleLiftingSurface seems to be missing from ShuttleB.cfg

Yep. Must have missed it in the final package. Thanks for letting me know. In the meantime you can copy the module from the other body and it'll work.

59 minutes ago, Pak said:

Yep. Must have missed it in the final package. Thanks for letting me know. In the meantime you can copy the module from the other body and it'll work.

Already did.:)

By the way: do you have a road-map of planned or considered parts/features? That last update was golden and I'm curious where you see this mod going.

My only request (if you take them): no wheels. Getting real tired of wonky wheels sidelining projects.:P

---

The only other really (current) stock-a-like Mk3 pack out there (that comes readily to mind) is the excellent Mk3 Expansion by SuicidalInsanity, but I get the impression you're going for something a little different (real world analogues maybe). I only mention it, because if you're considering expanding your parts catalog considerably, it might pay to know what's already been done (and done well), so you can spend time on fresher content (obviously your prerogative).

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

By the way: do you have a road-map of planned or considered parts/features? That last update was golden and I'm curious where you see this mod going.

My only request (if you take them): no wheels. Getting real tired of wonky wheels sidelining projects.:P

Ha. Definitely no wheels. I'll be staying pretty focused on the Orbiters themselves and things to stuff in them.

I was thinking about a post like this so good prompt.

I honestly don't have a solid roadmap. I tend to build stuff that interests me at the moment, and things based off the discussion and suggestions here. I wouldn't have built any of this stuff without the interest and ideas from you guys. I do try to read everything, so don't worry if I didn't reply in the thread. I most likely saw it and maybe I'm uninterested in the idea now, but in a month or two when I'm looking through ideas I could change my mind. Like the angled engine mount for example.

I'll be trying to update in loose categories from now on along with releasing less parts at a time. That was a lot of stuff. It started out as a wings and aero update until it got hijacked by those Russians (for the better of course).

My next direction is cargo bay stuff so right now I have plans for a some parts inspired by the different pallets and payload mounts used in the shuttle. I'd really like to get the shuttle to be the awesome orbital construction vehicle that it should be.

So in no particular order and not all at the same time, my next stuff will be;

Cargo Bay texture switches (including the back of the cockpit to match)

ET Decoupler

ELC pallet

ICC-VLD pallet (maybe)

Bigger pallet (the white U shaped one)

EDO supply module

Spacelab

something to mount small satellites onto

Assorted KIS tool boxes and other doodads

Some more work on the MMU

Forgot the obligatory WIP shot. Good idea @Sgt.Shutesie

6QYMvIt.png?1

Edited by Pak

This mod is looking fan-d***-tastic (Needs to be featured on Modding Monday I think), and the "Buran-ification" of the Mk3 Cockpit is certainly above and beyond IMHO.

A word of caution:  Many times I have seen good "Stock-a-like" mods slowly slip over the event horizon into the black hole of "replica".  It's your mod, so of course it's TOTALLY up to you, but I'd be wary of getting to caught up in making parts in KSP look like their RW counterparts.  Personally,I'd prefer to "Keep it Kerbal", but as I said it's up to you.  

Just my $0.02

11 minutes ago, tg626 said:

black hole of "replica"

Thanks tg,

Yeah I agree and don't have that intention. There's CSS for that level of detail. I'll be keeping everything modifying the stock bits on texture switchers and make sure nothing clashes too bad with the stock parts. After the cargo bay I can't really think of anything else I'd want to mess with.

With the cargo bits I mostly want to add more gameplay options in the stock environment that people less familiar with the shuttle might not know about.

Like for me when I was starting out with shuttles I just slapped a docking port on the back wall and stuck some things in orbit. Having some more payload mounts seems like a good way to introduce all kinds of other missions it could do. Plus I just like learning about and modeling these things.

This shuttle portion of this mod will eventually come to some sort of parts conclusion. I don't want it to get too bloated and unfocused.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.