1. 1. Favorite SW movie?

• I: The Phantom Menace
    • II: Attack of the Clones
    • III: Revenge of the Sith
    • IV: A New Hope
    • V: The Empire Strikes Back
    • VI: Return of the Jedi
    • VII: The Force Awakens (unreleased)

I like all of them. But the original trilogy are my favorites.

I was too young to see ANH and ESB in theaters, so my first exposure to Star Wars was when I saw RotJ in theaters twice, when I was 11.

Of the new trilogy, AotC is my favorite. Has the best lightsaber action in my opinion.

I listened to a CD of it once I think, it wasn't very good IIRC.
It was no worse than your usual made for TV dreck from the late 70s. Which is to say it was horrible. Personally I'm wondering when Disney will pull the Christmas Special "out of the vault" and sell it for $80 a copy.
Yes. Awful.

I'm glad I'm not alone. The one thing which unites all human kind- The Star Wars Holiday Special.

I love all the movies but I prefer the prequels, because of the fact that there is no Black and White everything is Shades of Grey it makes a story so much better and more interesting than the usual good guys vs bad guys.

I also love the special effects in the prequels the are Jaw dropping, Especially the Battle of Corusant O.o It is really cool that the Preqeuls give us a window into "A more civilized age" as Obi Wan put it :)

Ever since I first saw this abomination Jar Jar Binks the prequels lost all value for me. The original three movies were great though. I like the original trilogy and like it as a whole. You cannot really separate them.

Oh, and Han shot first, btw. :)

• 3 years later...

The prequels simply don't feel interesting to me until about the second half of II. Also, looking back I feel the CGI wasn't quite there until III, where it looked good.

I really like III, especially in the context of the Clone Wars series (which is fantastic, and does a good job showing the war slowly chipping away at the Republic and the Jedi Order). 

That said, IV has the perfect opening sequence for being the first Star Wars that anyone saw, and does an excellent job showing what the whole Star Wars universe is about.

V is great at showing the Empire, and the tyranny of Vader.

I like how VI shows how much Luke has matured, and we begin to see Vader as an actual person, even before his heroics at the end. There is just a little bit of remorse when he says "It is...too late for me, my son."

Ask me about the sequels after I've seen IX... :/ Still too early to be sure.

While I don’t watch the films as often as I should be, considering how much of a Star Wars fan I am, I like almost all of them and would probably put Rogue One as my favorite. It’s the one I watch the most often, and it adds a ton of depth to A New Hope. That, and K-2SO may be one of the best additions to the new canon. It’s really hard to pick a second favorite out of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi (no you didn’t misread that). I’m still impressed at how well the original trilogy holds up after around forty years  

That said, I’m much more of a fan of the animated series — The Clone Wars, Rebels, and even Resistance. I’ve watched TCW since I was a kid and loved it ever since, and I’m hyped for the final season coming on Disney+. However, I enjoy Rebels a lot more. Don’t let Cosmonaut Variety Hour fool you, it’s a really good show, and I think it may be a little better than TCW. It may be a little rocky in the first two seasons, but the next two are almost consistently great, and the final seven episodes are some of my favorite Star Wars content ever. As for Resistance, it may be far from perfect as of now, but it shows great potential and I’ve actually be enjoying it so far. 

If you can’t already tell, I’m probably one of the most open-minded Star Wars fans out there. There are very few pieces of Star Wars content I legitimately hate; maybe about three or four total episodes from TCW and Rebels, and some scenes scattered across the saga, but that’s just about it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I also tend to go with Rogue One as my fave. K-2SO had some wonderful one-liners, and there were other good ones too. IMO it recaptured the humor of the original 1977 Star Wars (no episode number or name required), which would be my next up for favorite.

I’m mostly with @ProtoJeb21 although haven’t seen much of the animated stuff so can’t comment on that. 

The original trilogy still holds up well and Rogue 1 made for a very good direct prequel. Of the five movies after that, I would say The Last Jedi and Revenge of the Sith were my favourites.

Or they were at the time of watching. RotS didn’t stand up so well to a second viewing a year or so later. I suspect the same may  be true of TLJ although the noticeably better acting may save it.

Really though, the original trilogy told a fairly simple story but told it well and finished it well. They’re very self-contained which is why I think they’ve held up so long.

17 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Which one would you watch first?

Right now? Probably Star Wars, though that's only because I've seen Rogue One more recently.

In general? I don't think preferred viewing order makes one better than the other. In general I think I'd watch Solo, R1 and then the original trilogy in order and stop there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.