[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

This is straight-up a "how to" question and i apologize if it's been answered elsewhere

The solid shutdown thing (great feature, highly acceptable break from reality) is giving me a little bit of trouble with the IUS. Seems that using it for stage 1 automatically kills stage 2. I'm assuming there's an action group workaround for this but i'm not sure what that workaround is. Is it just "stop engine"?

EDIT: I should really stop asking questions before I try the solution i imagine will work

Edited by Kellanium

20 minutes ago, Kellanium said:

This is straight-up a "how to" question and i apologize if it's been answered elsewhere

The solid shutdown thing (great feature, highly acceptable break from reality) is giving me a little bit of trouble with the IUS. Seems that using it for stage 1 automatically kills stage 2. I'm assuming there's an action group workaround for this but i'm not sure what that workaround is. Is it just "stop engine"?

"Shutdown engine" is the action group you want, yes. 

On 8/11/2024 at 3:12 PM, GoldForest said:

Just realized we're about a month and a half, plus change, away from BDB's 9th anniversary. I know the 9th isn't a big deal, that would be the 10th. But I was wondering, do you have anything planned for the 9th anniversary @CobaltWolf ?

1.14 release?

22 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't really keep secrets, if I have some progress to share I usually do.

Ah. Gotcha. 

So, 1.14 for the 9th huh? A lofty goal. Well, maybe not. Everything is pretty much finished right? It's just touch up and bug fixing at this point? 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Ah. Gotcha. 

So, 1.14 for the 9th huh? A lofty goal. Well, maybe not. Everything is pretty much finished right? It's just touch up and bug fixing at this point? 

Yeah we're in finishing touches I think, not sure if all the Mariner stuff will make it in or if Invader wants more time with it.

21 hours ago, Kellanium said:

According to Ignition: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark, Rocketdyne tested a Lithium/Flourine/LH2 tripropellant rocket in the 60s, and it got an impressively high ISP of 542s.

Picks up book.... (I happen to use this book to "relax" before Video interviews while I am searching for a new career)

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Picks up book.... (I happen to use this book to "relax" before Video interviews while I am searching for a new career)

It's a really good (and, at times, extremely funny) book. highly recommend.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah we're in finishing touches I think, not sure if all the Mariner stuff will make it in or if Invader wants more time with it.

Do you have any plans for what you'd want to do for 1.15? I can think of a few cool Saturn/Skylab and Viking parts that would be cool.

What do you get when you take 70s NASA parts and use a 2000s NASA brain to put them together?

well, you might get this, i call it The Abomination.

A single AJ-260 SRB for the first stage and an S-IV for the second to yeet an apollo capsule to LKO. Abomination: because the S-Ib was too reliable

EDIT: I'm a dork and forgot to put the pictures.2b12168f0f267bce161854fd951e1cfa2503c7d4

c55194cdf441083a2b3e51f05b775109d7d5c5c1

Edited by Kellanium

1 hour ago, Kellanium said:

What do you get when you take 70s NASA parts and use a 2000s NASA brain to put them together?

well, you might get this, i call it The Abomination.

A single AJ-260 SRB for the first stage and an S-IV for the second to yeet an apollo capsule to LKO. Abomination: because the S-Ib was too reliable

EDIT: I'm a dork and forgot to put the pictures.2b12168f0f267bce161854fd951e1cfa2503c7d4

c55194cdf441083a2b3e51f05b775109d7d5c5c1

so, bit of a bug, the abomination does not like to play well with mechjeb. For some reason mechjeb doesnt' recognize it's lifted off and thus won't engage. even staging to the S-IV and the apollo CSM doesn't do it. Infuriatingly, hitting abort will engage the autopilot.

It's definitely the AJ-260 (dev branch, inline, full length) because i did it up with a UA1208 and it works fine (and looks even more absurd)

3cd2a8c8a878dfc09fbc9ab1fe840c754e46c835

2 hours ago, guest10985 said:

I download the Dev branch the 11th and the atlas PBR isn't working. I updated shaddy, shabby, and TU. Still don't work

The required update to shabby isnt out yet and the shader pack isn’t released yet either. I committed the textures and configs for convenience. 

4 hours ago, Kellanium said:

so, bit of a bug, the abomination does not like to play well with mechjeb. For some reason mechjeb doesnt' recognize it's lifted off and thus won't engage. even staging to the S-IV and the apollo CSM doesn't do it. Infuriatingly, hitting abort will engage the autopilot.

It's definitely the AJ-260 (dev branch, inline, full length) because i did it up with a UA1208 and it works fine (and looks even more absurd)

More on this bug, it seems to affect the inline version of the AJ-260 but not the radial version. It affects both the half-length and full-length Inlines.

Tested full and half-length radials (using them as inlines) and it does not occur with them. I don't know enough about how to dive into part cfg files to figure out what's happening, so i'm letting you guys know.

29 minutes ago, Kellanium said:

More on this bug, it seems to affect the inline version of the AJ-260 but not the radial version. It affects both the half-length and full-length Inlines.

Tested full and half-length radials (using them as inlines) and it does not occur with them. I don't know enough about how to dive into part cfg files to figure out what's happening, so i'm letting you guys know.

Seems like it's to do with MJ not taking into account the thrusttransform switch. I can try switching some default module settings around but I doubt there's much we can do (it might just change which variant is broken). I'd also recommend trying with latest dev versions of MJ too

17 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Seems like it's to do with MJ not taking into account the thrusttransform switch. I can try switching some default module settings around but I doubt there's much we can do (it might just change which variant is broken). I'd also recommend trying with latest dev versions of MJ too

I'll check that out.

Don't worry about it too much. this isn't something i plan to use on the regular. I mostly did it For The Bit.

32 minutes ago, Kellanium said:

I'll check that out.

Don't worry about it too much. this isn't something i plan to use on the regular. I mostly did it For The Bit.

I've edited the module setup, and it seemed to autostage fine with both variants, though I didn't experience the issue before as I don't use autostaging (I find it too buggy funnily enough lol), so I don't know if it's an improvement. If you want to test you can just update the AJ260 cfg file from dev.

39 minutes ago, Rodger said:

I've edited the module setup, and it seemed to autostage fine with both variants, though I didn't experience the issue before as I don't use autostaging (I find it too buggy funnily enough lol), so I don't know if it's an improvement. If you want to test you can just update the AJ260 cfg file from dev.

So the autostaging wasn't the issue, it's that the guidance would never kick in. Turning off autostaging was the first thing i tried, it didnt' change that. MJ shows up like this with the inline

f5f097f280afcf1bd7bfb29126dd5a69f460a52b

And this is what happens with the radial (and pretty much every normal launch)

4a16abbe90eb5afbd221940a050049fd56d76f37

Again, i don't want to add substantially to your workload for something i did to poke fun at the Ares I-X as a joke , and usually when i use the AJ (and i do use the AJ) it's as a radial booster, so this isn't a real big problem for me.

3 hours ago, Kellanium said:

So the autostaging wasn't the issue, it's that the guidance would never kick in. Turning off autostaging was the first thing i tried, it didnt' change that. MJ shows up like this with the inline

Again, i don't want to add substantially to your workload for something i did to poke fun at the Ares I-X as a joke , and usually when i use the AJ (and i do use the AJ) it's as a radial booster, so this isn't a real big problem for me.

Ah ok, weird. I can test that quickly on my end too. Did you try with the updated cfg? And if that radial booster in the pic isn't flipping in circles something else may be wrong... The thrust should be angled significantly.

Edit: yeah getting error spam in the log when trying to use the AJ260 with PVG. But 'resetting to defaults' seems to fix them, and both variants work in this case.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@Rodger The methalox RL-10 is stuck on the RL-10B-2 model. Which is strange because it doesn't even have that model selectable.

Yeah the methalox patch hasn't been looked at since the merge, was just waiting for the merges to finish before I looked at it. can probably get it working soon.

Edited by Rodger

6 hours ago, Kellanium said:

f5f097f280afcf1bd7bfb29126dd5a69f460a52b

And this is what happens with the radial (and pretty much every normal launch)

4a16abbe90eb5afbd221940a050049fd56d76f37

Um BTW  Saturn INT 05, and INT-05A are exactly what you flew (well with a S-IVB)   AJ-260 either long or short respectively with an S-IVB and Apollo CSM.

16 hours ago, OHN said:

Do you have any plans for what you'd want to do for 1.15? I can think of a few cool Saturn/Skylab and Viking parts that would be cool.

Yeah I have plans already.