[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I know it sounds like a stupid part but could you do a ASTP adapter. I think it could be a cool little part and round out the pack and when Skylab is done it will truly be everything from the late 50s to 70s.

1 hour ago, sp1989 said:

I know it sounds like a stupid part but could you do a ASTP adapter. I think it could be a cool little part and round out the pack and when Skylab is done it will truly be everything from the late 50s to 70s.

+1 Although you can build reasonable accurate one using misc parts it will be nice to have a cobaltwofized one :)

3 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

+1 Although you can build reasonable accurate one using misc parts it will be nice to have a cobaltwofized one :)

Since I think either Tantares or Contares has the APAS used on that mission, the adapter would be the missing link between mods.

3 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

@VenomousRequiem, Woot Woot! AJ260! Will it make it in time for the next update? 

I just took a closer look. That's Sarnus 1c (*facepalm*). Looks good either way.

I've also got the AJ260 almost completely modeled. :wink:

It's the short and long Thor tanks scaled up to 3.75m with the Fernis engine mount. Saturn Ic and the AJ260 will not be in BDB 1.0, but probably pretty soon after. :)

Yeah. Basically all the new stuff I've added the last couple days was modified from existing textures, except for the 5.625m fairing base, which was UV unwrapped and textures in around 15 minutes. The Saturn 1C tankage and the AJ260 would be very big - unfortunately for BDB, there is a direct correlation between the surface area of a part and how much time it takes to texture it. And the Sarnus stuff just swallows surface detailing wholesale - it needs a lot of time spent just adding in smudges, scratches, wear and tear. So adding those variants isn't something I have time to do before 1.2 is out.

1 hour ago, sp1989 said:

50 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

46 minutes ago, TheAceOfHearts said:

Since I think either Tantares or Contares has the APAS used on that mission, the adapter would be the missing link between mods.

42 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

yup, that APAS is very particular.

The adapter exists in Tantares IIRC (it's orange looking) and Contares has an APAS 75. It's not on my to-do list; there's a lot of other stuff I'd like to do.

11 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

~5 seat IVA~

Man!!! Talk about crowded! But I have to say, this mod keeps getting better and better.

Holy smokes that's what that PR was? (I read it half-asleep this morning) Merged! That's awesome!

4 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Since you're going to include B9PartSwitch, could you bundle the SPS and regular versions of the Sina engines together in a single part, sort of like what Porkjet had planned for the stock engine overhaul? And maybe later make alternate versions for all your engines?

Uhh, maybe. It's a toss-up since I like having them be 'available' in the VAB pallete, but I also want to avoid contributing to that bloat unnecessarily.

Speaking of part bloat, is there any desire for a shorter (like, 2/3 or 3/4) length SLA? Shouldn't be hard to implement and it would match the ETS proportions a bit better. I also want to do one that forms a full bi-conic shroud, but still opens like an angry alligator.

I promised to @CobaltWolf about show some little changes I done to F1 and J2 engines plumes in "stock" version:

4VChbO1.png

I rigged the standard (at least up to BDB v1.0beta) BDB engines to those with my reworked plumes (I actually did them for my 1.1.3 version, but they should work in 1.2 too)

in order (in the image, left to right) F1 reworked (orange "Mammoth" flame and a bit more of smoke), J2 BDB original, J2 with SQUAD "hydrolox" effect (found buried, and unused, in stock SSME "Vernor"), F1 BDB original.

J2 tests: reworked at central-right position, BDB original at central-left position.

zvIWKnP.png

tWwZJ9W.png

ixcLBPc.png

F1 tests: reworked at left, BDB original at right

YdlX4jC.png

MJCxde3.png

73P0YaL.png

NnrAxbP.png

Then, after a ground test, a launch in Sarnus V assembly (I forgot the S-IC fins, but it was just a test run) with only reworked plumes

VA88MGB.png

gnFoZOI.png

HrnY8CD.png

gP66NGI.png

mUMSC6A.png

LM4E9yC.png

9OmVcqM.png

More of the launch here: Imgur album "Sarnus plume rework"

I'm just sill testing a bit of different "ground effects" at ignition on pad for the F1 (how much smoke is diverted near the ground) but for the plumes I'm happy enough.

As I did it in a "1.1.3 test save" (the same where I adapted the latest models to still work on 1.1.3), I should just port the effect definition over the latest 1.2 cfg, if interested :wink:

@Araym that looks awesome! Couple things:

• In this picture, it looks like the J2 plume expands a lot. I don't see that in other pictures. Does it actually do that? And if not, is it possible to make it do that?
  • Similarly, I think the F1s should be even bigger - to the point where they merge. See this picture.

12 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

• In this picture, it looks like the J2 plume expands a lot. I don't see that in other pictures. Does it actually do that? And if not, is it possible to make it do that?
  • Similarly, I think the F1s should be even bigger - to the point where they merge. See this picture.

Smoke expansion fired from a static position tends to accumulate in a "ball" just there. When launched, being "stock" very limited, they do a trail. I could (probably: still testing to understand how to manage plume effects) try a bit of different configuration to let the trail be a bit more "aggressive", but I'm not sure that it could change a lot...

Both uses the "very large" smoke effect... but as you can see in the last images about the J2s in flight (shot a bit after separation, at rougly 40-45km altitude) there is a limitation about how "stock" smoke dissipate a lot in the thin layer of atmosphere (even if it adds a bit of effect like an expanded plume) and then disappear completely (last image) in the range of 45-50km altitude...

Edited by Araym

24 minutes ago, Daelkyr said:

Okay, I'm at a loss of what those are.

Just some of the many parts from my probe parts maya scene that were left in various states of development... :wink:

In completely unrelated news, something is coming...

FJcOZHv.png

45 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I did a bit of tweaking again: nothing could really work to add smoke at altitude, but probably I got some of the smoke effect from F1 engines add at launch a consistent trail (and a good, big, smoke deflection under the pad) - in the previous collection it was not very well shown:

aXaFuTQ.png

hCZ6HMu.png

6lwexI0.png

YMMtWHc.png

... and later, at 7km altitude, a bit weaker (KSP manage this way the smoke) but still "merged" from all the 5 nozzles:

rhlGsF0.png

Whole set from launch to 7km here

41 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Wait, Lunar Orbiter? Is that what's coming?

I could have sworn we had that already.

Thinking the wrong direction. :wink:

EDIT: Just a specific callout here, thanks to @Daelkyr for making an IVA for the 5 kerb Apollo pod, and thanks to @Araym for making RPM configs for both Apollo IVAs!

Edited by CobaltWolf