[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

yes, I know what the X-15 is and how it was used, thus the question if you planned to make any sort of docking port or if it was just for attitude control.  as in "will this be true to life or will it be usable as a some sort of shuttle type of thing" .

10 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

yes, I know what the X-15 is and how it was used, thus the question if you planned to make any sort of docking port or if it was just for attitude control.  as in "will this be true to life or will it be usable as a some sort of shuttle type of thing" .

With the CX-15 it behaves as with fish. Some jump into the air but usually they stay in the water.
Contares realizes enough things that would (today) not be possible in the real world. The CX-15 is not a shuttle, is too small for a more effective RCS system, has insufficient heat protection for orbital entry maneuvers, and remains in the aircraft category.

42 minutes ago, Well said:

Look great ! really better.

"Space rider" planned for contares?
Space_Rider_node_full_image_2.jpg

@Well

Will be somewhat difficult with the payload. In the small 'Space Rider' fit only 0.3125m parts. Are you doing the small - satellite parts?

Maybe when the Vega is finished.  I love Italy but does it have to be a solid rocket? The things are so useless in Stock KSP. :(

Edit: Ok, VEGA-C with P-120c first stage (alway done as booster for Aliyana 6), Z-23 second stage and Aestus-2 Orbital third stage can be usefull in Stock KSP.

Edited by hraban

2 minutes ago, hraban said:

Will be somewhat difficult with the payload. In the small 'Space Rider' fit only 0.3125m parts. Are you doing the small - satellite parts?

Maybe when the Vega is finished.  I love Italy but does it have to be a solid rocket? The things are so useless in Stock KSP. :(

Didn't realise it was that small... Still, I like the cargo bay + lifting body concept. Wings only matter if you want to land horizontally...

Could it be bigger?

2 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

Didn't realise it was that small... Still, I like the cargo bay + lifting body concept. Wings only matter if you want to land horizontally...

Could it be bigger?

Scale it up when the part is released. :D

Me too, Didn't realise it was that small .... :/

Even my sat "little-frog" is too big i think:

Spoiler

44d9dde5d241a557fbc0f20a382bf0ba.jpg

so sad.... i love this little IXV, but just for space experiment, don't have a big interest for KSP

Totally approuv for Vega... A launcher with three solid stage seriously?!. Totally uninteresting for KSP.

Why...!!! but why!!! ;.;

Edited by Well

45 minutes ago, Well said:

Me too, Didn't realise it was that small .... :/

Even my sat "little-frog" is too big i think: (*snip*)

so sad.... i love this little IXV, but just for space experiment, don't have a big interest for KSP

Totally approuv for Vega... A launcher with three solid stage seriously?!. Totally uninteresting for KSP.

Why...!!! but why!!! ;.;

There are 2 alternatives:

First the Launcher VEGA: Contares can build the VEGA-E with P-120C first stage (implemented), Z-40C second stage (to build, solid fuel) and VUS(MIRA) Cryogenic upper stage with RD-0146CH Engine (implemented).
Second the "Space Rider": Contares can publish a tweakable Versions. Also unmanned but in maximally double size, payloads up to 0.9375m diameter would be possible.

Space rider is voted by the Ministerial Council 2016.

Normally fly in 2020

But i don't now if the concept is fixed. Manny version:

Spoiler

63361c4708_99871_pride-vega-esa-huart.jp

PRIDE_mission.jpg

Also... for ISV Pride concept Space Rider

From Stéphane Dussy, IXV engineer :

Only a pose smoothly on dry land makes commercially possible the re-use of a spaceship. In the future, the successors of IXV will moreover be designed to settle(arise) on dry land. And it is from this perspective that this design in the shape of shuttle takes all its sense(direction). Not only he allows to maneuver and to put the device with a precision much bigger than that we make at present with a capsule of type(chap) Soyuz, but moreover, he opens the door to two types(chaps) of landing. Either a vertical pose(installation) on a grassy ground which weakens(pays off) the impact (the device is then slowed down by a parachute), or a landing similar to the one that made the American shuttles: in the style of a plane on a track(runway) hard. The choice of the one or other one of the options is however still far from being cut, and will be the object of further discussions.

Is IXV rather small because we have a big constraint of place(square) bound(connected) to the fairing of the launcher Vega (the smallest of the European launchers), used for the test. But if we succeed in mastering the aerodynamic behavior of this type(chap) of design, nothing prevents afterward from building a successor to IXV of bigger size, capable of welcoming a crew(equipage). We shall call on(appeal) in this case to rocket Ariane 6 to send him(it) to the space.

But at first, IXV  probably for mission to bring back only objects, equipment or samples. Indeed, would be needed a much more consequent budget to intend to return a crew on Earth. Because it involves to have additional security systems with numerous redundancy, as well as the implementation of particular devices such as the management system of the oxygen, the human-machine interface, etc.

Manned IXV, the engineers always have big dream ...

----------------------------

French original version:

Spoiler

"Une chute dans l'océan endommage toujours le matériel, ce qui complique sa réutilisation. L'IXV sera repêché par un navire à l'issue du vol, mais uniquement à des fins d'étude pour voir comment il s'est comporté durant le test. 

Seule une pose en douceur sur la terre ferme rend commercialement envisageable le réemploi d'un vaisseau spatial. Dans le futur, les successeurs de l'IXV seront d'ailleurs conçus pour se poser sur la terre ferme. Et c'est dans cette optique que ce design en forme de navette prend tout son sens. Non seulement il permet de manoeuvrer et de poser l'appareil avec une précision beaucoup plus grande que ce que l'on fait actuellement avec une capsule de type Soyouz, mais en plus, il ouvre la porte à deux types d'atterrissage. Soit une pose verticale sur un sol herbeux qui amortit l'impact (l'appareil est alors ralenti par un parachute), soit un atterrissage similaire à celui qu'effectuaient les navettes américaines : à la manière d'un avion sur une piste en dur. Le choix de l'une ou l'autre des options est toutefois encore loin d'être tranché, et fera l'objet de discussions ultérieures.

L'IXV est assez petit car on a une grosse contrainte de place liée à la coiffe du lanceur Vega (le plus petit des lanceurs européens), utilisé pour le test. Mais si l'on parvient à maîtriser le comportement aérodynamique de ce type de design, rien n'empêche par la suite de construire un successeur à l'IXV de plus grande taille, capable d'accueillir un équipage. On fera appel dans ce cas à fusée Ariane 6 pour l'envoyer dans l'espace.

Mais dans un premier temps, l'IXV aura probablement pour mission de rapporter uniquement des objets, des équipements ou des échantillons. En effet, il faudrait un budget beaucoup plus conséquent pour envisager de ramener un équipage sur Terre. Car cela implique de disposer de systèmes de sécurités supplémentaires avec de nombreuses redondances, ainsi que l'implémentation de dispositifs particuliers tels que le système de gestion de l'oxygène, l'interface homme-machine, etc."

Edited by Well

Other peculiarity with regard to IXV, "Space Rider" will be capable of a landing of precision which he will make on a track, "by means of a parafoil [a paragliding, an EDITOR'S NOTE], that is a parachute pilotable which allows to reduce considerably the area of the site of landing with regard to a classic parachute".
His first flight is planned in 2021. He will take off since the Guyanese Space center to Kourou and will settle on an European site which was not chosen yet, but most probably the air base of Istres, in France.

Certainly like that: X-38 return test:

Spoiler

Old concept :

2014-07-03-19_33_41-ESA-Intermediate-eXp 

But.... it's my CRV ! The lockheed martin concept lol

Other variant:

Spoiler

0ca1e5de20_99877_pride-etudeconfiguratio

This version look good i think:

Spoiler

Feasibility_study_for_IXV_evolution_node

Edited by Well

@hraban Thank you soo much! And yes, why two doors when you can have a single one.

On my side, I will upscale it until I can fit a lander can in it. 
Basically, it can be manned if I want or be used for experiment or else! I will probably also fit landing legs and engines and land it vertically. Kinda like the ITS but smaller. In that format, it might end up being my single stage Duna lander.

19 hours ago, hraban said:

I like this kind of cargo hatch much better.

Spoiler

SpaceRider-002,medium_large.2x.1497544664.PNG

Me too, it seems to be the most realistic solution. I imagine the blue panel indicate an integrated solar panel ?

With other Contares parts, those who wishes can easily it create a module of service or propulsion if he wishes.

13 hours ago, RedParadize said:

@hraban Thank you soo much! And yes, why two doors when you can have a single one.

On my side, I will upscale it until I can fit a lander can in it. 
Basically, it can be manned if I want or be used for experiment or else! I will probably also fit landing legs and engines and land it vertically. Kinda like the ITS but smaller. In that format, it might end up being my single stage Duna lander.

I like the idea, but I am afraid that it is an abomination for @hraban :D

Edited by Well

@WellHahaha, most likely! The thing is its the part that is the closest to what I want: A mini ITS that can SSTO on duna and two stage on Kerbin. Land/take off verticaly, re-enter like a plane but without wings. (wings make it difficult to land vertically and are mostly useless in space. All that with a cargo bay large enough to put a crew module in it, so you can have it manned or not!

I will post some picture when I will be done with it, maybe @hraban will like it!

edit: is it me or there is no RCS in the nose?

Edited by RedParadize

40 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

@WellHahaha, most likely! The thing is its the part that is the closest to what I want: A mini ITS that can SSTO on duna and two stage on Kerbin. Land/take off verticaly, re-enter like a plane but without wings. (wings make it difficult to land vertically and are mostly useless in space. All that with a cargo bay large enough to put a crew module in it, so you can have it manned or not!

I will post some picture when I will be done with it, maybe @hraban will like it!

edit: is it me or there is no RCS in the nose?

Use this for your Project plus ESLIS SSTO.

screenshot260,medium_large.1493118843.png

IXV has only 4 RCS to stabilize the reentry.

Edited by hraban

@hraban  ESLIS is really nice and does the job perfectly when it come to carry kerbal around. But the lack of cargo bay mean I have to mount the expensive science instrument on the exterior. I am not complaining, I am aware that what I am looking for is very specific. IXV model have all the attribute i need to customize it to what I want, the central cargo bay will make it easy to balance it. I can add RCS, legs and engine.

@RedParadize ever thought about using DLMS-C? This module was specially designed for landings on planets with atmosphere and includes a loading bay. Basically an unmanned variant of the BTG2.  Has been around since 10/15/2016. Use the FED-HS as Heatshield and the MICRO-GABUN (2x) as engines for Duna operations. Legs from KOMPAKTLANDER was helpfull.

DLMS-C,medium_large.2x.1497642583.png

54 minutes ago, HUNKDROD said:

Hey I wonder why the Tweakscale isn't working for me, it's just put it on Tweakscale folder right?

You can put the tweakscale.cfg everywhere in GameData. But the contares tweakscale.cfg is only for a handful of the parts. For all other parts there is no tweakscale.cfg.

2 hours ago, HUNKDROD said:

Hey I wonder why the Tweakscale isn't working for me, it's just put it on Tweakscale folder right?

How @Cheescake says, only tweakscale settings are set up for sensible parts. One or the other part with the time still corresponding settings received.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.