Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

Meh... I'd have honestly been fine waiting for 1.1 for those things. Well, whatever ¯\_(•ᴗ•)_/¯

Feel free to not update to 1.0.5 if you wish :P

Wahoo, this is great! :)

Any ETA on the Mk3 Cargo Ramp's addition to the game?

Either 1.0.5 or 1.1, we haven't decided yet because (as mentioned in the devnotes) some coding needs to be done to make it work. One of the conditions of this patch is that it doesn't delay 1.1 development. The decision to include it or not now lies with the producers, and I imagine it depends on how much work there is in QA/Experimentals for 1.0.5.

I would actually prefer to wait and not see a rushed out 1.0.5! Other than that good work so far.

Well as has been said, releasing 1.0.5 won`t delay 1.1 so if you just don`t download it then you can totally wait and not see a rushed out 1.0.5!

You get exactly what you would prefer yet the people who would like to get used to some of the changes before 1.1 also get exactly what they would prefer.

WIN-WIN!

EDIT :

I have to say I'm very happy to see so much support from you guys. In the end we do our work because we're as passionate about the game as you are, and the support displayed here is a real morale boost :)

tl;dr you guys and girls rock!

You guys rock too. Sometimes we might moan a bit but it`s only because we love KSP so much and feel that our attempts to highlight areas where the game could be improved are not being given attention as we get hardly any feedback that this is happening.

Edited by John FX

Joystick, why didn't I think of that. I guess it might be hard to get a recognizable joystick icon down to 24 or so pixels; I haven't seen any among the common open icon sets.

If you can't find a joystick that scales down, I'd think wings would be a good alternative. The wing pins they wear on their uniforms. Type "pilot wings pin" into google images to get a bajillion examples.

--pest

In 1.0x land (until the forthcoming 1.0.5), heat from engine exhaust worked (in the technical sense) but was too low. It now works and is not too low.

You will have to be careful, but not annoyingly careful, with sep placement. And explosive decoupling has again become a workable strategy.

Mr. Kell, since you are a member of Squad now, I'm interested, if you will be adressing the Solar System tilt issue in RSS. That would be awesome :)

Ouch! Too pointy! Can we have nice and round B-29-style cockpits also? :sticktongue:

I think they are trying to move away from parts that look Military in favor of parts that look civilian. I believe the new cockpit is inspired by a Learjet or Cessna Citation.

Despite Militaristic origins, most space programs are not military and very rarely use even refurbished military aircraft. I think Military parts are better served by mods as they just don't fit with the stock game. If you did get a rounded nose cockpit, it would likely be more like a Boeing 757 or higher.

Edited by Alshain

Feel free to not update to 1.0.5 if you wish :P

Either 1.0.5 or 1.1, we haven't decided yet because (as mentioned in the devnotes) some coding needs to be done to make it work. One of the conditions of this patch is that it doesn't delay 1.1 development. The decision to include it or not now lies with the producers, and I imagine it depends on how much work there is in QA/Experimentals for 1.0.5.

I know it is the goal of the developers of KSP to put out the best game possible and it isn't exactly interested in the effect on mods. However this is a mod driven community. I would say that a majority of KSP players use atleast 2 to 3 mods be it a parts mods, environmental changes, or quality of life mods. That being said at this point what is going to be the time difference between 1.1 and 1.05? Undoubtedly something is going to cause mods to break and modders right now are holding back because of the anticipated 1.1 release. Are modders going to dedicate hours of time into updating and troubleshooting their mods for 1.05 when 1.1 could come out a few weeks after 1.05? I just have a feeling this update however nice it is will make players question updating to 1.05 when all of their mods work in 1.04 and it will cause modders to think about updating their mods at all when when there could be another update out shortly after that.

Hey KasperVld, I don't post much on the forums. So I'm taking the time from work to write this.

Have been following the devnotes for the last 12 months and I'm looking forward to this 1.1 update with Unity5. Have been playing KSP since 0.23. Just wanted to congratulate the entire KSP team, specially the developers and founders of this project. KSP made me understand a great deal of how astrophysics works in real life. Anyways, had a question about the 1.1 update that I may have missed on previous DevNotes:

- Are the developers noticing a highly noticable performace boost while unit testing KSP with Unity5? I ask this beacuse one of the reasons I stopped playiing since 1.0.3 was beacause my stations were getting to big and had multiple docked ships. This caused a huge performance slowdown while playing in the Windows and Linux versions. I know the slowdown could still happen when 1.1 is out, but at least it won't be like the 0.24 or 1.0.3 versions and can get back to visiting the entire system :D

Thanks,

P.S: I hear one of the devs or memebers of Squad is/are from Mexico, if I'm right make sure they/he/she/it gets the following message: "A seguir jalando con huevos, VIVA MEXICO CAB... y saludos de Monterrey, NL, MX" :cool:

I know it is the goal of the developers of KSP to put out the best game possible and it isn't exactly interested in the effect on mods. However this is a mod driven community. I would say that a majority of KSP players use atleast 2 to 3 mods be it a parts mods, environmental changes, or quality of life mods. That being said at this point what is going to be the time difference between 1.1 and 1.05? Undoubtedly something is going to cause mods to break and modders right now are holding back because of the anticipated 1.1 release. Are modders going to dedicate hours of time into updating and troubleshooting their mods for 1.05 when 1.1 could come out a few weeks after 1.05? I just have a feeling this update however nice it is will make players question updating to 1.05 when all of their mods work in 1.04 and it will cause modders to think about updating their mods at all when when there could be another update out shortly after that.

Replying as a modder, it sounds like 1.1 is going to take longer than anticipated. That being the case, I'll be happy to update my mods for 1.0.5

Linuxgurugamer

Re-watching a DasVeldez stream, I hope the superuberEVA ragdolling is on the list of "things to fix" as well.. sliding and bouncing down a 2 degree slope and ending up 2km away from your lander is not exactly fun.. can't save, can't exit, nothing to do except watch your poor kerbal ragdoll for 10 minutes..

Hey KasperVld, I don't post much on the forums. So I'm taking the time from work to write this.

Have been following the devnotes for the last 12 months and I'm looking forward to this 1.1 update with Unity5. Have been playing KSP since 0.23. Just wanted to congratulate the entire KSP team, specially the developers and founders of this project. KSP made me understand a great deal of how astrophysics works in real life. Anyways, had a question about the 1.1 update that I may have missed on previous DevNotes:

- Are the developers noticing a highly noticable performace boost while unit testing KSP with Unity5? I ask this beacuse one of the reasons I stopped playiing since 1.0.3 was beacause my stations were getting to big and had multiple docked ships. This caused a huge performance slowdown while playing in the Windows and Linux versions. I know the slowdown could still happen when 1.1 is out, but at least it won't be like the 0.24 or 1.0.3 versions and can get back to visiting the entire system :D

Thanks,

P.S: I hear one of the devs or memebers of Squad is/are from Mexico, if I'm right make sure they/he/she/it gets the following message: "A seguir jalando con huevos, VIVA MEXICO CAB... y saludos de Monterrey, NL, MX" :cool:

Hi HMIC!

We don't have any figures about the Unity 5 build just yet, it's just too early to tell. When 1.1 goes into testing we'll probably be able to tell you more because we can test the build on several configurations etcetera. There'll definitely be a performance boost though!

Your message to the guys in Mexico made them laugh, and it also confused Google Translate quite a bit.

I'd like to see more of those mini-updates whenever new content is ready. And I mean content that doesn't need complicated new code to work, or whatever. Whenever you get those parts retextured feel free to throw them at us.

What about the small jet engine? I haven't seen it mentioned. The tiny "Juno" one, or whatever it is called.

"A seguir jalando con huevos, VIVA MEXICO CAB... y saludos de Monterrey, NL, MX" :cool:

Ok sorry but it's starting to bug me now, best I could gather from Google Translate and general assumption was

To continue pulling eggs , LIVE MEXICO CAB... and greetings from Monterrey, NL, MX

I get the last part, but that first part is a real doozy.

Ok sorry but it's starting to bug me now' date=' best I could gather from Google Translate and general assumption was

To continue pulling eggs , LIVE MEXICO CAB... and greetings from Monterrey, NL, MX

I get the last part, but that first part is a real doozy.

Huevos means eggs but is also slang for testicles. But not in that sterile, scientific meaning that testicles conveys, I'm just not sure how much I can say without getting the post banned. Rhymes with "walls"?

Anyway, substitute your favorite slang for male "eggs" in there and it makes more sense.

EDIT: Oh, and "con" is "with" which Google translate seems to have dropped.

--pest

Jalando in this context probably means working. I though it was dirtier than that so I didn't mention it last post, but I found that in the southern U.S. at least, it also can mean working. So "continue working with gusto" would be the gist, but instead of gusto, insert that euphemism I mentioned above.

I didn't mention "jalando" before because, well, you can imagine what other connotations "pulling" might have in slang. The double meaning, I'm guessing here, is likely part of what made them laugh.

--pest

EDIT: Have I completely killed the humor in it yet?

Edited by Pestilence

I love the engineering analysis of the message from all!!! You've made my day!!! :cool: Kerbal engineering, ahh yes *sigh*, reminds me of how mexican problems are solved! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.