[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

The game hangs when loading the part WBI_AuxEN. I broke my game so I reinstalled a fresh game and re downloaded most of my mods and on first load it frozen there.
Is it a compatibility issue?

Edit: I removed it and the problem moved to a Mole part.

Never mind I accidentalied the squad folder out of existence during the install of my mods.

*Hangs head in utter shame*

@Angel-125: Still using the mod - and of course, you've seen that Kerny's journals! I did tag you in a new problem I am having in 1.2.1, but I believe it is the game and not your mod.

I'd like to ask for a few considerations in your mod:

• What about transparent cockpit windows compatible with JSI Advanced Transparent Pods? This would be a really cool addition to the mod.
  • A universal end cap. Instead of having a hatch, maybe just a smooth exterior with ventilation grills or something? It would help give craft a "finished" feel.

30 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Angel-125: Still using the mod - and of course, you've seen that Kerny's journals! I did tag you in a new problem I am having in 1.2.1, but I believe it is the game and not your mod.

• What about transparent cockpit windows compatible with JSI Advanced Transparent Pods? This would be a really cool addition to the mod.
  • A universal end cap. Instead of having a hatch, maybe just a smooth exterior with ventilation grills or something? It would help give craft a "finished" feel.

I think @Angel-125 might be updating things as we speak. He just updated Wild Blue Tools on Github an hour ago

32 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

You'll find a MM_TransparentPods.txt file in the ModuleManagerPatches folder in the next update. To use it, simply rename the file and give it a .cfg extension. Due to the way that Transparent Pods works, it shows the IVA as an overlay, just like what you get with the stock IVA overlay button. Hence, I've left the MM patch disabled for now; I'd have to rebuild the IVAs to make them look better in overlay mode.

For the end cap, I'm considering two possibilities: a simply cone shaped similarly to the command cab's nose, and an airlock with a ladder. I'm leaning towards the latter, but that will take more time.

Meanwhile, you can check out Buffalo 0.9.8 for KSP 1.2.1:

- Updated to KSP 1.2.1
- You can now radially attach the chassis parts. Thanks for the suggestion, @TheReadPanda :)

KNOWN ISSUES
- The wheels tend to slide on the ground even when the brakes are on. I'm investigating, wheels in KSP 1.2.1 are really odd.

And finally, Buffalo is getting a big brother, the Bison! While primarily designed as a gondola for the Heisenberg Airship Parts Pack, I've been designing the Bison with an eye towards use as a rover as well. No estimates on when it'll be ready, I've got several parts to make first. But here's a look at the command cab:

denbayZ.png

As you can see, I'm building the IVA so that it'll look good in overlay mode right from the start.

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

You'll find a MM_TransparentPods.txt file in the ModuleManagerPatches folder in the next update. To use it, simply rename the file and give it a .cfg extension. Due to the way that Transparent Pods works, it shows the IVA as an overlay, just like what you get with the stock IVA overlay button. Hence, I've left the MM patch disabled for now; I'd have to rebuild the IVAs to make them look better in overlay mode.

For the end cap, I'm considering two possibilities: a simply cone shaped similarly to the command cab's nose, and an airlock with a ladder. I'm leaning towards the latter, but that will take more time.

- Updated to KSP 1.2.1
- You can now radially attach the chassis parts. Thanks for the suggestion, @TheReadPanda :)

KNOWN ISSUES
- The wheels tend to slide on the ground even when the brakes are on. I'm investigating, wheels in KSP 1.2.1 are really odd.

And finally, Buffalo is getting a big brother, the Bison! While primarily designed as a gondola for the Heisenberg Airship Parts Pack, I've been designing the Bison with an eye towards use as a rover as well. No estimates on when it'll be ready, I've got several parts to make first. But here's a look at the command cab:

denbayZ.png

As you can see, I'm building the IVA so that it'll look good in overlay mode right from the start.

Oh, great! Now I can add even more elements to the story... I love this mod! :D

Just now, Angel-125 said:

Very handy for attaching a chassis part to a decoupler without adding a cubic part. Yay! :D

I look forward to trying out the Bison! 

Would it be too hard to put retractable (flush internal then extending out) legs to hold the rover up off its wheels? Handy to make it stable as a 'temp base' and to avoid wheel slide on some planets as well as use to land.

Plus could help you change the wheels (fix them with an engineer) without causing the rover to 'pop' upwards due to collision mesh? Just a thought! :D

4 minutes ago, TheReadPanda said:

Very handy for attaching a chassis part to a decoupler without adding a cubic part. Yay! :D

I look forward to trying out the Bison! 

Would it be too hard to put retractable (flush internal then extending out) legs to hold the rover up off its wheels? Handy to make it stable as a 'temp base' and to avoid wheel slide on some planets as well as use to land.

Plus could help you change the wheels (fix them with an engineer) without causing the rover to 'pop' upwards due to collision mesh? Just a thought! :D

I've been thinking about how to do this, actually. There isn't enough room in the existing Buffalo crew cab or command cab without a significant redesign, but I've been considering a part that you'd attach to the sides of the chassis that could then extend outward and prop up the rover. Another possibility is a body "slice" that contains the legs that is roughly half the length of a 1u chassis. For the Bison, I can look at building them into the body parts as well.

30 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

- Updated to KSP 1.2.1

KNOWN ISSUES

denbayZ.png

Positively panting with anticipation, that thing looks SEXY!

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@ThatHomelessGuy @TheReadPanda Based upon my research, I think the best way to get stabilizers that mount flush to the side of the craft is to add an additional slice like so:

mqWrqpU.jpg

Both the Buffalo and the Bison would have a half-unit length slice that gives you the stabilizers.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
I like it, glad to see you are working on my suggestion. :D
Is that a new cab too??????
(0.o)

I'm also making the most out of those buckboards too. :wink: Works really well with KIS/KAS
FR1RXXg.pngkqG7L9I.png

Bill looking pleased with his erm invention and not so pleased lugging a box full of box sections and lander legs :D

Edited by ThatHomelessGuy

@adsii1970

This is for the HL10 gondola, but this is what I can do with an IVA designed for the stock IVA overlay and transparent windows:

BUe3776.png

Just need to do some revisions to the Buffalo IVAs to make this effect.

Do NOT be surprised if you do not see this - at some point - in orbit. The upper level looks like it will be a great observation deck! I cannot wait to see the buffalo have this kind of transparency.

Speaking of the Buffalo...when did the screens in the crew cabin become able to display custom pictures? That was an awesome feature!

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Do NOT be surprised if you do not see this - at some point - in orbit. The upper level looks like it will be a great observation deck! I cannot wait to see the buffalo have this kind of transparency.

Speaking of the Buffalo...when did the screens in the crew cabin become able to display custom pictures? That was an awesome feature!

Glad you like the feature. :) I added it in around KSP 1.1, after I built the screens for MOLE.

Another thing that'd be helpful are Buffalo sized airlock modules, preferably set up so the EVA entry/exit hatch is on the aft-end, allowing the Kerbonaut to step out onto one of the Buffalo flatbed decks. Also, a docking-port that fits on one of the Buffalo Crew Cabin side attachment nodes, something resembling the Mineshaft Portable Crew Tube, but which can "connect" without needing a Kerbal to go on EVA to connect it, so it can connect to a Pathfinder habitat module, would be great since it'd let Kerbonauts transfer directly from pressurized habitat module into the pressurized rover and back, with no EVA required

Edited by StevieC

8 minutes ago, PmThay said:

@Angel-125 I think i found a minor problem in Wild Blue Tools. As i was trying to understand how the TV Plasma & kPad works (still don't know), i found that the external camera config file is saved has a text file. just to inform you. :wink:
great mod by the way. :D

That's by design. Never got the external camera working but kept the part around just in case.

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

new...parts? You're making new...parts? :D

Preview of the changelist:

- Buffalo Airlock Modle (BAM). It has a rooftop solar panel and it holds a single kerbal.
- Buffalo Ground Stabilizer. This quarter-length part has fold-out stabilizer legs to lift the rover off the ground.
- Buffalo Passenger Cabin. It comes in two sizes: short (1u) and long (2u). Both sizes have rooftop solar panels.
- Mineshaft moved to the Buffalo mod. It can serve as a docking port and as a KAS port.
- Short Tailcone.

Edited by Angel-125

That's by design. Never got the external camera working but kept the part around just in case.

Preview of the changelist:

- Buffalo Airlock Modle (BAM). It has a rooftop solar panel and it holds a single kerbal.
- Buffalo Ground Stabilizer. This quarter-length part has fold-out stabilizer legs to lift the rover off the ground.
- Buffalo Passenger Cabin. It comes in two sizes: short (1u) and long (2u). Both sizes have rooftop solar panels.
- Mineshaft moved it to the Buffalo mod. It can serve as a docking port and as a KAS port.
- Short Tailcone.

Cool - new toys. My Kerbals will thank you... :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.