[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:
3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

That's by design. Never got the external camera working but kept the part around just in case.

in that case i'm sorry to bother you. :wink:
once again i love your designs . :)

On 11/7/2016 at 11:46 AM, StevieC said:

Another thing that'd be helpful are Buffalo sized airlock modules, preferably set up so the EVA entry/exit hatch is on the aft-end, allowing the Kerbonaut to step out onto one of the Buffalo flatbed decks. Also, a docking-port that fits on one of the Buffalo Crew Cabin side attachment nodes, something resembling the Mineshaft Portable Crew Tube, but which can "connect" without needing a Kerbal to go on EVA to connect it, so it can connect to a Pathfinder habitat module, would be great since it'd let Kerbonauts transfer directly from pressurized habitat module into the pressurized rover and back, with no EVA required

Not sure what you mean. You have been able to exit the back of the command cab and crew cab and step onto a flatbed for quite some time. As for the docking port, I don't know if I can invoke the KAS port connect feature without a kerbal on EVA. It depends upon what the KAS API lets me do. That probably won't be in the next release. Perhaps @IgorZ knows the answer. The next gen Mineshaft will be both a docking port and a KAS port, so at least the basic tools will be there. 

I'm also still trying to figure out why the wheels tend to slip on the ground even when the brakes are on. Stock wheels don't seem to do that. I have tried copying the stats on the stock wheels over to my own but it hasn't seemed to help. Very frustrating. :( I definitely need help to solve the issue. Maybe @JPLRepo or @nil2work can shed some light on the issue.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

As for the docking port, I don't know if I can invoke the KAS port connect feature without a kerbal on EVA. It depends upon what the KAS API lets me do. That probably won't be in the next release. Perhaps @IgorZ knows the answer. The next gen Mineshaft will be both a docking port and a KAS port, so at least the basic tools will be there. 

In old KAS there is no API (alas). Though, KAS 1.0 does have one. As long as source and target parts implement the required interfaces making connection between them is easy:

var source = sourcePart.FindModuleImplementing<ILinkSource>();
var target = targetPart.FindModuleImplementing<ILinkTarget>();
source.StartLinking(GUILinkMode.API);  // Present no audio/visual effects.
source.LinkToTarget(target);

Note that if either of the parts has more than one KAS link module you'll have to pick the right source/target.

28 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

In old KAS there is no API (alas). Though, KAS 1.0 does have one. As long as source and target parts implement the required interfaces making connection between them is easy:

var source = sourcePart.FindModuleImplementing<ILinkSource>();
var target = targetPart.FindModuleImplementing<ILinkTarget>();
source.StartLinking(GUILinkMode.API);  // Present no audio/visual effects.
source.LinkToTarget(target);

Note that if either of the parts has more than one KAS link module you'll have to pick the right source/target.

Outstanding! Thank you SOO much for making that happen. :)

@Angel-125: A teaser for the next chapter in Kerny...

13XWl2t.jpg

rtceaEf.jpg

If you're still looking for a couple of parts that would help me out (:wink:), I could use some sort of boom crane that has a point where I could stick a light. As you can see here, I am using one of @Fengist's Maritime Parts (the davit for the motor boat) as a sort of light holder. I also had problems with sticking parts to the top of the buckboard. Anyhow, thought you;d like to see how I am using some of your parts... :D

Edited by adsii1970

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

@Angel-125: A teaser for the next chapter in Kerny...

If you're still looking for a couple of parts that would help me out (:wink:), I could use some sort of boom crane that has a point where I could stick a light. As you can see here, I am using one of @Fengist's Maritime Parts (the davit for the motor boat) as a sort of light holder. I also had problems with sticking parts to the top of the buckboard. Anyhow, thought you;d like to see how I am using some of your parts... :D

Way cool! Love the tanker you made. I'll have to look into the Buckboards as well.

Progress continues! :) Here, a Buffalo with a long passenger cab is getting ready to dock with a trailer consisting of a short passenger cab and an airlock module. The new Mineshaft, which will be moved from Pathfinder to Buffalo, serves as a docking port.

aqMJjGy.png

Of course the Mineshaft retains its ability to be used as a KAS port as well:

GTrRk6m.png

I'm investigating how to use @IgorZ's KAS API to let you hook up the Mineshafts without an EVA. That might not be ready for the next release. Just a couple more parts to go: the ground stabilizers and some tail cone options.

Just got the new tail cones done. You'll be able to select from three different configurations. Here's one of them in use:

AgQ3pgd.png

Last up is the ground stabilizer. I'll probably make another pre-release (warning, has bugs) at that point for people to try out while I see what I can do about the wheels.

I've no intention of making V-22 engines for the Buffalo at some point. Nope, not at all... :wink:

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, StevieC said:

I'm getting a LOT of z-fighting from this pre-release, with JSI Transparent pods installed

Well, the JSI overlay isn't working that great, but since I switched over to Unity 5, I can use the proper IVA overlay technique and have improved the look of the IVA Overlays. So all you'd need to do is turn on the stock IVA overlay and you're good to go. :)

@Carrot, try the Mountain Goats.  I've had no problem with them.  Also, I've noticed that a lot of wheels in 1.1.3 get blocked at the top of their suspension travel - if they aren't overloaded, leaving the scene (or reloading KSP on occasion) and coming back usually fixes that.

So, good news, bad news, good news.

Good News: I found a way to stop the z-fighting in the editor with JSI Transparent Pods installed. What I do is set disableLoadingInEditor = true.

Bad News: in the editor, the parts that set that flag (all Buffalo crewable parts) spam the log with the following error:

[EXC 16:25:16.048] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    JSIAdvTransparentPods.JSIAdvTransparentPod.VoodooRotate ()

As a result, the MM patch for JSI Transparent pods will be renamed to .txt to avoid the spam. Hopefully @JPLRepo can shed some light on what's going on. Here's what I'm using for the MM patch:

Spoiler

MODULE   
    {   
            name = JSIAdvTransparentPod
        transparentTransforms = Windows
        disableLoadingInEditor = true
    }

Also, I've done the best I can with the ladders and such, and have noticed that if you climb up the ladder and step onto the platform, KSP doesn't let you board the craft. However, I've modified the triggers and such, and you can still board the craft while climbing the ladder, so it's not a huge problem.

Good News: As a result of fixing a bunch of graphics glitches in the IVAs and applying the preferred technique for making IVA overlays in Unity 5, the stock IVA overlay works beautifully now with the new parts. No more odd banding going on, for instance, and the windows all appear transparent.

Anyway, you can find the latest pre-release here. Among the above changes, you'll find the new Mineshaft and aero cone. Also, the short and long passenger cabs now have ladders.

I think I've done all the IVA work that I can stand, now to work on the remaining parts.

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

So, good news, bad news, good news.

Good News: I found a way to stop the z-fighting in the editor with JSI Transparent Pods installed. What I do is set disableLoadingInEditor = true.

Bad News: in the editor, the parts that set that flag (all Buffalo crewable parts) spam the log with the following error:

[EXC 16:25:16.048] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    JSIAdvTransparentPods.JSIAdvTransparentPod.VoodooRotate ()

As a result, the MM patch for JSI Transparent pods will be renamed to .txt to avoid the spam. Hopefully @JPLRepo can shed some light on what's going on. Here's what I'm using for the MM patch:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, I've done the best I can with the ladders and such, and have noticed that if you climb up the ladder and step onto the platform, KSP doesn't let you board the craft. However, I've modified the triggers and such, and you can still board the craft while climbing the ladder, so it's not a huge problem.

Good News: As a result of fixing a bunch of graphics glitches in the IVAs and applying the preferred technique for making IVA overlays in Unity 5, the stock IVA overlay works beautifully now with the new parts. No more odd banding going on, for instance, and the windows all appear transparent.

Anyway, you can find the latest pre-release here. Among the above changes, you'll find the new Mineshaft and aero cone. Also, the short and long passenger cabs now have ladders.

I think I've done all the IVA work that I can stand, now to work on the remaining parts.

Ah yes I think I see the problem. I'll PM you a DLL to try soon.

On 12/11/2016 at 11:29 AM, Angel-125 said:

Not sure what you mean. You have been able to exit the back of the command cab and crew cab and step onto a flatbed for quite some time. As for the docking port, I don't know if I can invoke the KAS port connect feature without a kerbal on EVA. It depends upon what the KAS API lets me do. That probably won't be in the next release. Perhaps @IgorZ knows the answer. The next gen Mineshaft will be both a docking port and a KAS port, so at least the basic tools will be there. 

I'm also still trying to figure out why the wheels tend to slip on the ground even when the brakes are on. Stock wheels don't seem to do that. I have tried copying the stats on the stock wheels over to my own but it hasn't seemed to help. Very frustrating. :( I definitely need help to solve the issue. Maybe @JPLRepo or @nil2work can shed some light on the issue.

Sorry I missed this one... wheels slipping. Not sure I have come across that issue. I'd raise it in the modding/modelling sub-forum.

8 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thank you much, I appreciate your hard work. Love the transparent pods. :)

Let me know how that goes. Or try what I suggested around the Z fighting and you may not need it.
If you need it now I can do a patch release for JSI ATP. If you try that suggestion on the Z fighting and it works, I can hold off on the patch release and put into next version.

Edited by JPLRepo

I've put out version 0.1.12.0 of JSI Advanced Transparent Pods which will fix your issue with turning off transparent pods in the editor.
So users of this mod can use that version and should be fine until you fix up the models as per my PM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.