New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Tex_NL

I hope it will be better than DS9 was. I haven't seen any episodes of Voyager or Enterprise, but I've heard they aren't much better. What the hell, it's a new Star Trek series, I'll watch it even if it is complete crap!

Rejoice, O ye nerds, for deliverance is at hand!

Because they didn't learn from their failures at writing DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.

Gene Roddenberry is gone. ;.; The idiot writers now mangling Star Trek are not Gene Roddenberry and cannot replicate his genius.

Don't mess with classic literature. Conjure up a little creativity and come up with a sci-fi universe of your own.

I enjoyed the darker DS9 and Enterprise. Voyager was goofball pseudo-science most of the time, like TNG, but I enjoyed it too.

It will be interesting to see a series based on the "new" continuity.

IMO, there was one absolutely outstanding two-part episode of Enterprise. It was one of the mirror episodes, this one called "In a Mirror, Darkly".

The one shining star of the later Treks, so well written they even gave it it's own unique "Empire" opening theme! I almost fell over myself laughing and loving it the first time I saw it. Wonderfully dark and well worthy of the mirror universe.

As far as the new series.... the last couple movies weren't bad, so I remain hopefully scepical.

Voyager was goofball pseudo-science most of the time, like TNG

Hey, TNG had some improvements in the science! In the first episode, you can see the surface of the Enterprise experience reentry heating as it enters the atmosphere of a planet, and they usually try to remember to mention that orbital mechanics are a thing instead of just making space travel out to be exactly the same as ocean travel, but in space.

TNG is the best, no ifs, ands, or buts. I don't expect the new Star Trek to be as good as TNG, but it would be nice.

...It will be interesting to see a series based on the "new" continuity.

Is it confirmed to be in the new "J.J Abrams" Star Trek 'verse? As far as I understand, it's going to be in the original continuity (not that it means much), in fact the startrek.com article says:

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

...Star Trek Beyond is going to be a sequel to Into Darkness, which is in the abramsverse, so that leaves a few options for where/when the new series will take place:

• The original "main" continuity, at sometime (I imagine sometime post-voyager returning to federation space, every other time period has been covered, but that doesn't mean they can't revisit one with another ship's story, another TOS era series would be awesome IMO, but the whole "space opera, gumballs as buttons" aesthetic may seem a bit outdated, so it probably won't happen)
  • Sometime in the Abramsverse, probably set away from the time the current films take place in so they avoid contradictions

...At this point, everything is up for speculation, but i'm excited anyways, I'm just wondering if they'll go with the "crew on ship, goes on adventures" of (mostly, not DS9) all the Trek series, or if they'll do something different. inb4 24th century political drama

Actually there is something I would LOVE to see, but I know there is absolutely no chance of it.

The one really unanswered question in all Trek, and IMO an inexcusably ignored storyline for what could be a great series or movie.

How did Sulu become a Captain, and get command of the USS Excelsior???

To the best of my memory, Sulu was the only TOS bridge officer to become captain of his own ship besides Kirk.

Someone needs to make "Sulu: The Movie"

There has to be a great story there if someone would tackle it.

I mainlined all of Trek for about 2.5 years, starting about 5 years ago. I started with S1E1 of TOS and watched everything - TV and movies (including TAS) - in almost perfect production order until the final episode of Enterprise.

TOS is fantastic considering when it was produced, but it has super groaner moments.

TAS is TOS as a cartoon with some real oddties and a couple shining episodes, but is otherwise pasable.

TNG got off to a really rough start, but still has a dozen or more of some of the best TV ever produced.

DS9 takes a long, winding path but ends up in an amazing place.

VOY is the most like the original series, but the groaners are harder to stomach because they're not quite as fogged by time.

ENT starts out meh, wanders into boring, and then explodes into awesome in season 3. And, having used up every bit of creativity and ability in that season, season 4 meanders and the series rightfully dies.

I don't know what I want in a new series. Hopefully it'll be good. I'll watch it for sure, in most any case.

TOS is obsolete by modern TV standards. "Martial arts" are hilariously bad, CGI is distractingly crude etc. I've never had an urge to watch it.

DS9 is just slow to start, Sisko is boring, Odo somehow manages to be both an OP ex machina and useless, that Bajoran chick is annoying, the Sisko kid as well.

I like TNG, Patrick Steward is awesome and there's plenty of Borg action. The ship design is ugly though.

The new Enterprise is slow, I never managed to watch it entirely.

Which leaves us with Voyager, by far my favorite. I like pretty much everything about it except the last few episodes, which seem like the producers were given the notice that the show is being canceled and had to abruptly bring it to an end.

It also has, by far, the prettiest ship.

Simple geometric shapes? Well, I guess since we don't have any real starships yet, we don't know what they should look like, and since there isn't air in space, starships could be cubes or spheres.

That doesn't mean it looks cool though.

TOS is obsolete by modern TV standards. "Martial arts" are hilariously bad, CGI is distractingly crude etc. I've never had an urge to watch it.

But some of the writing was outstanding for what was being put out at the time. Take it from this old dude... lol.

Episodes like "City on the Edge of Forever", a heart-wrenching tragic love story featuring Joan Collins, or "Doomsday Machine", which terrified me as a young boy, and featured William Windom in a staggering role as Commodore Decker, commander of a dead ship....

But one of the absolute best in terms of writing, and the impact it had at the time (again, I'm old, I was there...lol) was "Let that be your Last battlefield", featuring Frank Gorshin and Lou Antonio as the half-black half-white aliens from the planet Cheron. One of the first television shows at the time to have the guts to look racism and racists right in the face and expose them for what they really are, and what it can eventually lead to...

But some of the writing was outstanding for what was being put out at the time. Take it from this old dude... lol.

Episodes like "City on the Edge of Forever", a heart-wrenching tragic love story featuring Joan Collins, or "Doomsday Machine", which terrified me as a young boy, and featured William Windom in a staggering role as Commodore Decker, commander of a dead ship....

But one of the absolute best in terms of writing, and the impact it had at the time (again, I'm old, I was there...lol) was "Let that be your Last battlefield", featuring Frank Gorshin and Lou Antonio as the half-black half-white aliens from the planet Cheron. One of the first television shows at the time to have the guts to look racism and racists right in the face and expose them for what they really are, and what it can eventually lead to...

Yeah, I think that as the different series progress, the special effects become better, while the stories and writing gradually become more mediocre. I've feel that TNG is the equilibrium point, where the graphics are acceptable enough to not seem cheesy, while the story is usually pretty good. Of course, my observations may be flawed since I have not seen Voyager or Enterprise.

I always enjoy the plots of TOS. "Mirror, Mirror" is always a good episode to watch, and the one where they find the two planets that fight a computerized war where any casualty has to commit suicide was also good.

Yeah, I think that as the different series progress, the special effects become better, while the stories and writing gradually become more mediocre. I've feel that TNG is the equilibrium point, where the graphics are acceptable enough to not seem cheesy, while the story is usually pretty good. Of course, my observations may be flawed since I have not seen Voyager or Enterprise.

I always enjoy the plots of TOS. "Mirror, Mirror" is always a good episode to watch, and the one where they find the two planets that fight a computerized war where any casualty has to commit suicide was also good.

Exactly my point! Lately too many movies and series' have become all special effects, and very lazy writing... with only a couple exceptions here and there.

I just hope this new series focuses a little more on the story and plot writing and less on just making the new ship pretty...

That article is almost entirely about the distribution means, and nothing about the show itself. :/

Well, in that case, I propose that this thread be changed to a general discussion thread about Star Trek, instead of one about the upcoming series.

Because they didn't learn from their failures at writing DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.

Gene Roddenberry is gone. ;.; The idiot writers now mangling Star Trek are not Gene Roddenberry and cannot replicate his genius.

Don't mess with classic literature. Conjure up a little creativity and come up with a sci-fi universe of your own.

Have some rep.

[...]

It's not CGI, it's special effects. Not to sound pedantic or anything, but there's a difference. Plus, I don't think special effects can date a TV series. The plots are timeless, and that's what counts.

Have some rep for that.

Personally, I don't think the new series will be very good. Back in the days of TOS, star trek was a small budget, not incredibly popular TV show, so it could get away with trying some amazing things. When ST: WOK came out, it really started to become a "franchise" IMO, in that people were making enough money off of it that it couldn't try such avant-garde stuff.

I enjoyed the darker DS9 and Enterprise. Voyager was goofball pseudo-science most of the time, like TNG, but I enjoyed it too.

Heheh. I enjoyed "Kentucky Fried Movie". Which does not in any way change the fact that that movie was absolutely awful. :D

DS9 and Enterprise aren't actually bad, per se--but they're weak and pathetic compared to ST:OS and ST:TNG (well, actually, TNG pales in comparison to OS). And DS9 failed at the "darker and edgier" thing; they were sissies about it, too scared to ditch political correctness, and they barely dipped their pinky toes in the dark and edgy waters. If you want to actually make Star Trek dark and edgy, what you do is you have the United Federation of Planets declare war on the Romulans and bomb both Romulan homeworlds into radioactive extinction. But, of course, we can't allow the good guys to win a war that way, can we???

Well, since the writing of DS9 and Enterprise, the audience has changed in a very noticeable way. Have you ever heard of the "Galactic Civilizations" series of sci-fi strategy games? Head to YouTube and watch the trailers for Galactic Civilizations 3.

This latest game in the series has the Terrans (facing defeat ten years before, and sealing Earth within a Precursor forcefield to save the planet from the Drengin) developing a whole new battle fleet of Biblical proportions, armed with highly advanced weapons technology, freeing Earth from its forcefield cocoon, launching a fleet of thousands upon thousands of warships, commencing a Crusade against the Drengin and proceeding to exterminate the ENTIRE Drengin race.

More important than merely watching the trailers: read the YouTube comments attached to them. You can see peoples' reactions to the way the Terran race has changed in the GalCiv series. Pretty much everybody is posting comments along the lines of:

"Yaaayyyy!"

"The Crusade begins!"

"Go humans!"

"BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE DRENGIN!1!"

Plus, somewhere in the comments for one of those videos, somebody actually said, in almost exactly these words: "I wish the humans in Star Trek were this violent".

Fact is, if there was a sci-fi series where the bad guys got the unholy living bejeezus bashed out of them by a human race that wielded superior military technology, genocidal fury, and planet-crushing superweapons, you can be sure the audience would eat it up and demand second helpings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.