[0.21.1] Alien Nostromo (ver. 1.3.7)

jcogs

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

reentry.png

This is a construction of the Nostromo from the film Alien for KSP. This features both vertical and horizontal engines that can be toggled for landing, as well as animated landing gear.

This has been given a temporary update for KSP version .181. This version has been checked and is compatible with KSP version .21.1. The parts have been updated to make the Nostromo compatible, but it has not been fully converted to the new Resource system yet. I am working on converting it, but it is going to require a complete rebalancing of the ship as well as updating the parts to be compatible with the new part modules, which is going to take time.

Please Note: A custom plugin is required (Nost_pluginModule.dll, included in the download package) for the engine switching as well as for the animated landing gear. Make sure to move the file to the plugin directory within the KSP directory. Source code has been included.

Controls:

This can be launched in a vertical configuration or a horizontal configuration. Controls are standard KSP with one difference:

Use the z key to toggle the two sets of engines. It defaults to the vertical configuration.

Two versions are being made available. Version 1.3 is a direct port of the previous release with the only other change being an increase in the mass of all parts:

Download:

Version 1.3.7 has EVA support, but the ship is 3 times larger than the previous release. The crew elevator is now functioning using the now standard KSPEvent system. Right click to raise and lower the elevator. PLEASE NOTE: when the elevator is in the down position the right click menu will pop up near the hatch, so you will need to zoom out to see the menu.

Download:

Due to a change in code between versions 0.19 and 0.20 the previously available plugin for engine switching was broken. I have updated the plugin so engine switching can work for version 0.21.1 and have made it available for download separately as nothing else changed in the download package:

Download updated plugin:

Changelog:

ver.1.1:

-Switched the engine toggle default key from ~ to z

-Added bindKey attribute to engines to allow the user to change the toggle key

-Made the engine toggling more responsive

-included the source code in the download package

ver.1.2:

-New KSP .16 compatible .craft files

-All parts have normal maps

-Changes to engines and crew section to make it more mechJeb friendly

-Changes to landing gear to make it more landing friendly

-A few model and texture tweaks

ver.1.3:

-Changes to parts to make them more compatible with KSP .181

-Increased the overall mass by a factor of 10

ver.1.3.5:

-Added EVA support, but no functioning crew elevator

-Increased the size of the ship by a factor of 3 to bring the ship in scale with the Kerbals

ver.1.3.6:

-Small model tweaks to elevator

-Added functioning code for the elevator

ver.1.3.7:

-Fixes to plugin module to allow engine switching

Include in the package:

-All the parts to build the Nostromo. Many parts have both left and right sides because they are not rotationally symmetric.

-Craft files for both the VAB and SPH so yu don\'t have to put all the parts together yourself.

-The custom plugin Nost_pluginModule.dll that handles the engine switching and animated landing gear.

-The source code for the above plugin.

Known Issues:

-I have tried to stay as faithful to the original design as possible. While I have done my best to balance it, sometimes it can get a little unwieldy. I would recommend the use of sas.

-Due to its size and configuration, it is not always mechJeb friendly. MechJeb does not recognize the horizontal landing ability.

-In order to keep it stable the mass and thrusts of the parts are low relative to their size. This means that the parts might seem underpowered when used with other parts.

-Due to the asymmetrical design and the need to keep it balanced, the parts are only attachable through stacking. This dampens the ability to use them for custom designs.

-The elevator works but has not been rigorously tested. The right-click menu will always pop up near the hatch.

-This version is not converted to the Resource system, so the fuel gauges will no longer update on the UI. Good thing that this has so much fuel that it shouldn't be a problem.

Future Plans:

-Add a cockpit for IVA

-Make all parts compatible with the new Resource system

Edited by jcogs
Changing title, Updating content

[mod]Please could you include the source code for Nost_pluginModule as part of the download, so that it can be peer reviewed for any issues by the community, thanks.[/mod]

Most awesome first post ever. I like the idea of engines changing with a single key.

However, landing gear does not require a plugin, you can have animations for it.

No download without source, and move request, this belongs to plugins.

Awesome ship! Tried it out, but there is a problem. I have a norwegian keyboard and that keyboard doesn\'t have the ~ button like the english keyboard does. It\'s a bit lame to not be able to switch engines. Is there a way to bind the engine toggle to another key?

is there something in the part.cfg?

I could say it if the source was provided, but for now, you can just try around there. Or hope that keyboards will be unified some day.

Oh and on a windows system, there should be the abbrevation for your language next to the status bar, click it and choose en.

When docking is released you should try to make the main cargo. Also, the fact that the ~-button is chosen makes it hard for us with an European keyboard.

is there something in the part.cfg?

I could say it if the source was provided, but for now, you can just try around there. Or hope that keyboards will be unified some day.

Oh and on a windows system, there should be the abbrevation for your language next to the status bar, click it and choose en.

Oh, it worked. Funny, I was trying the same thing earlier today, but now it suddenly worked. Thanks for the help anyway.

RIDLEY SCOTT HAS A JOB FOR YOU!

This a serious piece of awesome you\'ve built there. I really liked the film, and I loved the ship, so this for me has to be one of the best mods ever made for KSP. Unfortunate that the source code isn\'t up yet, cause I\'d like to use this, but by heck is this brilliant.

One of the best mods i have ever seen so far. Can you also make battlestar galactica?! :D . By the way i need to hit tilde button for 3-4 times to toggle the engines, the strange sounds comes but the engines do not switch sometimes.

I have re-uploaded with the source code. I have also made it possible to rebind the engine toggling using the bindKey attribute in the part.cfg, which has been switched to z instead of ~. It should also be more responsive than the previous version.

The reason that I felt it necessary to write my own plugin for the animated landing gear was due to instability when using the HLandingLeg module, as documented here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=13549.0

If the bug is fixed I will likely switch the module back to HLandingLeg and not need to use that part of the plugin.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.