What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

Just a few, 

- Low-profile adapters, MK3 to 2.5m and 3.75m to 2.5m.

- Low dry-weight, low heat and crash tolerance spherical tanks for interplanetary missions, then make fuel switching tweakable.

- Hinges, rotors and actuators.

- I'm down for the 2-Kerbal pod, what I'd love though is a 6-Kerbal 3.75m to 2.5m pod sloped like the C7 adapters.

- A heavier duty set of landing gear.

- Habitation and LS would be great, but really require game mechanics that are probably beyond the scope of this thread. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 13.12.2015, 01:12:48, Pthigrivi said:

Just a few, 

- Low dry-weight, low heat and crash tolerance spherical tanks for interplanetary missions, then make fuel switching tweakable.

Greatest one i've ever noticed so far.

Some Sort of structural really weak Tanks maybe that weak that you even cannot manage to get to Orbit fueled. So you have to find a solution to get that Tank into Orbit, empty inside a CargoBay or a Fairing. Fuel to Mass ratio really something like 1:99. That would really Add to the Constructing of Spaceships because if you wand to make it efficient cou cannot Strap 100 Boosters on it to Lift up a City-siced Spaceship at once. You Have to assemble that in Space to Build a really Space-fitting Spaceship.

Great Suggestion. If not implemented soon i'll mod a mod to suit that. Gives a totally new spin on Gameplay.

I'm all up for the steerable medium-sized landing gear.

Bigger SRBs are also high on the list since the Kickback hardly provides a "kick" when used with anything that resembles a shuttle.

Also, more types of RCS nozzles that are more streamlined or burn different fuels (like jet RCS for VTOLs or 5-way Vernor-type engines). Flat Mk3 to 2,5m adapters and end caps so you don't have to haul a useless tank everywhere you need to move a cargo bay around.

4 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Optimization and lag fixes are so much more important then parts though.  Whats the point of adding more to the part count if you cant even use them all on one ship before the game crashes or slows to a nicely pleasant 2 FPS.

Well the thread is titled "parts" but I agree with that as well... not to mention we need to really improve the models, textures, and lighting in every respect, add clouds, scatterer, proper sound effects and other visual and auditory bits and bops etc. 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎11‎:‎00‎, Xkay7 said:

[quote name='Francois424']
- Electric Propellers (I'd say 3 sizes: 0.625, 1.25 and 2.5 to fit existing fuel tanks)

Why propellers? We already have jet engines for high efficiency atmospheric flight, and ion engines and nuclear engines for high efficiency space flight.

Sometimes people like to recreate old planes and they look nice.

Radially attachable heat shields (for the bottom of spaceplanes or for covering nosecones on high-velocity atmospherics)

Larger and/or more powerful ion drives

Solar sails

Bigger static solar panels

Radially attachable liquid-fuel tanks like the roundified monopropellant tank

Smaller/lower-profile grabbers

2.5/.625 m SRBs

Extendable structural parts (like a girder, but collapses to maybe a quarter the length, but requires electrical charge to extend/retract)

Nuclear reactors for long-term non-solar power (can be high on the tech tree and generate a lot of heat, but I want something better than the RTG)

One thing I would like to see is more options for hollow "structural" parts for large ship or base building.  For example, the structural fuselage part makes a great small "spacer" tube that you can imagine Kerbals crawling between, as a connecting piece for hab modules or offset external crew modules on a ship.  But the problem is the only come in one size, which means if we need more spacing we have to either up the part count or substitute other bits (I have seen people use solid rocket boosters sans-fuel for this purpose instead.)  

Some examples of what extended structural elements are good for are putting some distance between connected hab modules on a surface base, or building a torus around a ship or station.  Or heck, just some aesthetic additions that will not kill you on the added weight (some minor weight is a fine trade off for style though.)  

On 12/14/2015, 7:08:43, panzer1b said:

Optimization and lag fixes are so much more important then parts though.  Whats the point of adding more to the part count if you cant even use them all on one ship before the game crashes or slows to a nicely pleasant 2 FPS.

I think that the "parts" discussion is relevant to those issues.  Having different sizes and power levels of the same kind of functional part can help keep the part count down to something reasonable.  For example, if you start building a bigger ship, you might be needing to add more engines to bring up the thrust-to-weight ratio.  However, that also ups the part count.  But if you could have another engine that does in one part what those smaller engines could do in four (in terms of weight, ISP, fuel consumption, etc,) you can keep the thrust-to-weight ratio the same while keeping the part count down.

In terms of development effort, asset shuffling produces a clear "bang for the buck", while strictly code optimization is more difficult, bug-prone, and harder to predict how much end gains you get out of all that effort.  

18 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Man, people really don't feel like reading the last five words of this thread's title. 

Meh, the thread is getting a bit old.  I'm glad it stayed alive as much as it did. 
If we could 'moderate our own thread' I would clean them up, but no biggies.

I really hope we get more stock parts like these, if nothing else implement those that reduce part count on crafts (big LF tanks, bigger engines to replace 4-10x occurrence of small ones, etc).
Not that it can't be modded, but some of my parts haven't been updated as the mod they are from haven't been touched in a long time and are starting to glitch out :(

• 4 weeks later...
Thing that people want Times Requested
Larger Static Solar Panels 2
Larger Deployable Solar Panels 2
Propellers/Early Aircraft Parts 26
Large Nuclear Engine (2.5/3.75 M) 10
Large Ion Engine (2.5/3.75 M) 4
Large RTG/ Nuclear Reactor of some sort 12
1.25M 2-Kerbal Pod 11
Inflatable/Orbital Bladder Tanks 3
Mono-propellant Engines 5
Space Station/Ground Base Hab/Lab 6
2.5M Rapier 4
5M Parts 8
Truck/Car/Rover Parts/Wheels/Tank Tracks 10
3.75M Pod/Crew Cabin 6
0.625M SRB 4
2.5M SRB 6
More larger wings 5
Hinges/Robotic Arms 22
1.875M Parts 6

More Science Experiments

(Surface sampler was commonly requested)

Large Landing Legs/ Large Steerable Landing Gear 9
KAS/KIS style Fuel Transfer/Colony Connection 9
Procedural Fuel Tanks 6
Life Support System 5
Balloons/Air Bags 6
Larger/Better RCS 3
Larger Nuke Tanks (2.5M Liquid Fuel Only Tanks) 6
Lights 4

Functional Mods (Kerbal Alarm Clock, Waypoint Manager, etc)

I was trying to count up how many times people requested various parts/improvements. I had to ignore a lot of things that were only requested once or twice, but there were some patterns that occurred. (See things highlighted in red).

The things that I want to see from that list the most are:

-The 1.25M Two Kerb Caupsle. This would be great for career, particularly before you have probe cores, and you need a scientist and a pilot, or for the 'VIP' Kontracts where you need to get a kerb to sub-orbital or LKO without any 'pine tree monstrosities'.

-More dedicated rover parts would be wonderful. Rovers in general need some love.

-Large Nuclear Engine, 2.5M

-Larger Static Solar Panels

Honestly, I was suprised that nobody requested any of these. These are things that I can't even seem to find in any mods...

3.75M Flat ISRU (since I can find most other 3.75M parts with mods, this is the one thing that I am missing that I cannot find to fit inside a 3.75M profile.)

Hexagonal Solar Panels. I asked another user to mod these in awhile ago, but he dropped off the face of the earth before finishing the mod. Fortunately, not before giving me this. This isn't so much for fufilling function as it looks really cool. Perhaps they would be balanced differently than normal solar panels, being tougher and able to get more power farther away from the sun, but weigh more.

iBfloTa.gif

This thing:

jrICMNW.png

And This little adapter:

61TcQ6K.png

That I've requested before...

Though the truth is, these things don't need to be stock. It's just kind of the way KSP works, part of the game is customizing your gameplay experience. KSP only has the stock parts, the bare necessities. Maybe not everyone wants a 2.5M nuke engine because it would be overpowered from a game-play perspective. If you need more, You can go out, and get a parts pack or mod for everything you want and nothing you don't. Want better solar panels? Near Future Solar! Hate the texture of the 2.5M tanks? I sure do! Color Coded Canisters. Want propellers? Firespitter (If it's still being maintained, I don't think it is, is that why so many people are requesting propellers?) This freedom to customize the gameplay experience is part of the reason so many people can get into this game. The Scott Manleys among us can play in realism overhaul with life support. Newbies can use mechjeb to help them learn to fly rockets. Annoyed that contract locations for experiments don't show up? Waypoint manager! There is a combination of mods and gamemodes for everyone! (And even moreso when 64bit support comes out) Instead of complaining that this stuff isn't in stock, go out and find mods that have it. KSP is sort of made to be modded. There wouldn't be a whole section of the fourms dedicated to modders if Squad didn't want us modding the game. :rolleyes:

Sadly, I can't find the parts that I requested in mods and I wanted them to be incorporated into my gameplay. To me they don't seem like ridiculous, difficult to incorporate ideas for KSP, save for maybe the hex panels. And I've tried to make mods before, and failed horribly. ;.;

^That's great, thanks for doing that Kuansenhama. I really like that hex panel! 

I deliberately skipped a few because they'd already been mentioned but you could put me down for: 

- Larger static and deployable panels

- 2.5m Nerva and 1.25m ion

- 1.5m and 2.5m nuclear reactors

- Mid-large wheel above the TR-2L, and replace the XL3 with a large crawler style track

- EVA attachable fuel line (and strut)

- Aerodynamic RCS blocks and lights.

On 11/17/2015 at 8:04 AM, Weedlepickles said:

4. Dynamic Fuel Tanks - Give us the ability to choose the fuel that a fuel tank holds in the VAB or SPH. The amount of specialized fuel tanks keeps increasing, even tough they have the same dimensions. Allow us to choose a dimension and then choose the contents. This will make the development of fuel tanks much easier for SQUAD since there will be no need for 3 different fuel tanks when a new dimension or fitting is introduced. The system could easily be expanded to allow internal fitting of batteries and other odd bits into a fuel tank.

This. Very much this. Adding more tanks isn't all that hard but having to have 3x of everything must get obnoxious fast and bad for the player too.

@Kuansenhama That Origami antenna was a thing from a mod not so long ago... don't know if it's still maintained for 1.0.5 tho... Having same thing for solar panels would be really nice.  Flat Fuel cells would be kind of nice as well.
I've experimented with TweakScale and the 2,5m Ions are 64 kilo-newton.  Pretty good.  I've also modded a nuclear reactor...  The game is far more interesting with all of these conveniences.

Thanks for the spreadsheet, pretty much illustrate what ppl want.  Hopefully it'll influence Squad once 1.1 is done and they start looking for parts suggestions.

There should be a second "high tech" type of airbrakes (ie. deeper down the tech tree), specifically for reentry/aerobraking, that has a thin coating of ablator on the extendable panels and a higher heat resistance.

14 hours ago, Francois424 said:

@Kuansenhama That Origami antenna was a thing from a mod not so long ago... don't know if it's still maintained for 1.0.5 tho... Having same thing for solar panels would be really nice.  Flat Fuel cells would be kind of nice as well.
I've experimented with TweakScale and the 2,5m Ions are 64 kilo-newton.  Pretty good.  I've also modded a nuclear reactor...  The game is far more interesting with all of these conveniences.

Thanks for the spreadsheet, pretty much illustrate what ppl want.  Hopefully it'll influence Squad once 1.1 is done and they start looking for parts suggestions.

If you've made mods before, do you think you might be interested in picking up the hex panels idea? :rolleyes:

@Kuansenhama I'm an amateur modder.  I take existing parts and copy them then change them.  I don't do textures and all. But if you have the Origami Antenna working, it would just be a matter of changing/adding the solar panel stuff in the (new) part file. But if any modder want to tackle it, it would make a nice part indeed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.