Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

51 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

Also, there was something about nuclear engines and von Kermulan not being careful... Not careful in the sense of accidentally making leaky reactor with high ISP or in the sense of not destroying the evidence (of what he used to run away?) and  letting this tech get in the military hands?

Exactly.  Bob Kermulan (I think it was Bob) said that they (the Kerbulans) wouldn't even have the nuclear engine tech if Wernher had been more careful.  And I think your questions are the natural ones that come out of that.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Something tells me @Starhawk knows exactly what's going on but isn't telling. In fact, I'm willing to bet a whole box of paperclips he does.

Well, I certainly know enough history to have guessed where Wernher came from.  I was immediately convinced that he was from Kerbulus as soon as his knowledge of the Kerbulans was partly revealed.  The 'why' of it has now been disclosed.  And I'm sure we'll understand the 'how' part in due course.

For anyone who's still confused, maybe try reading up on 'paperclip' in Wikipedia.  In case you don't know any space history, Wernher von Kerman is based on a real life person who was at the core of the U.S. space program for a long time.  Very interesting stuff, actually.

Happy Concerned landings!

Edited by Starhawk

58 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

For anyone who's still confused, maybe try reading up on 'paperclip' in Wikipedia.  In case you don't know any space history, Wernher von Kerman is based on a real life person who was at the core of the U.S. space program for a long time.  Very interesting stuff, actually.

You mean Clippy?

Seriously, though, I do wonder if Kuzzter is not feeding us mincemeat.

27 minutes ago, astrokerb said:

I don't recall anyone else asking this question, so... Do Kerbals and Kerbulans have a shared ancestry? 

I'm not surprised no one's asked; I've deliberately avoided confirming they even have ancestors. :wink: 

8 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

You don't trust Kuzzter? Awww... ;.;

56 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

You mean Clippy?

That would be quite the operation if he was.

16 minutes ago, Andem said:

Hmm. I wonder what war Has inspired this conflict on Kerbulus. WW1? 2? Vietnam? In any case, :0.0:

Depending on how parallel, or not parallel, @Kuzzter is getting to the real world, it would most likely be WW2.  He's said all of Kerbulus is involved in it.  And like @Starhawk already pointed out, operation "paperclip" was a direct result of WW2, and would explain Wernher's involvement nicely.

But if this is the case, then why does it seem the folk on Kerbin no longer know about Kerbulus?  
My instincts tell me there is a bigger mystery going on here.... 

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Depending on how parallel, or not parallel, @Kuzzter is getting to the real world, it would most likely be WW2.  He's said all of Kerbulus is involved in it.  And like @Starhawk already pointed out, operation "paperclip" was a direct result of WW2, and would explain Wernher's involvement nicely.

But if this is the case, then why does it seem the folk on Kerbin no longer know about Kerbulus?  
My instincts tell me there is a bigger mystery going on here.... 

Damn, out of likes. What if Whernor Von Kermulan and Whernor Von Kerman switched places? Tinfoil!

13 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Depending on how parallel, or not parallel, @Kuzzter is getting to the real world

Well, I can't honestly see any parallels between the culture of Kerbin and the culture(s) of Earth.  Kerbulus sounds more like Earth, but not really that close.  Maybe if the Roman Empire had survived to the point of developing space flight.  Or something like that.

As far as I can tell, Kuzzter hasn't suggested or set up any parallels between our cultures and theirs except the stuff that's built into the game already and what comes out of it being an analogue of the Star Trek universe.  There's some stuff comparable to human cultures that comes out of that, but WW2 was in the far past from the POV of Star Fleet.

What is interesting to me is how the differences between the two societies developed.

And, of course, I'm very interested in the details of the story of von Kerm(ul)an.

19 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Well, I can't honestly see any parallels between the culture of Kerbin and the culture(s) of Earth.  Kerbulus sounds more like Earth, but not really that close.  Maybe if the Roman Empire had survived to the point of developing space flight.  Or something like that.

As far as I can tell, Kuzzter hasn't suggested or set up any parallels between our cultures and theirs except the stuff that's built into the game already and what comes out of it being an analogue of the Star Trek universe.  There's some stuff comparable to human cultures that comes out of that, but WW2 was in the far past from the POV of Star Fleet.

At the end of the last segment Kuzzter said he's drawing parallels from the real world.

27 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

At the end of the last segment Kuzzter said he's drawing parallels from the real world.

Ah, yes.  I see.  Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how far it goes.

Happy landings!

Surely this cannot be!

Gene Kermulan slew Shirley with his koffee kup.

No wonder he became supreme leader of the S.P.Q.K.  I suppose maybe that's where the practice of moving up in rank by assassinating your superiors came from.

And there's also still the question of whether there is or was a parallel Wernher.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Yeah. Well, we're never going to look at that koffee cup the same way again, are we?

I would not be surprised if he prefers his koffee with a little splash of THE BLOOD OF HIS ENEMIES poured on the grounds before brewing. It gives the final product a more rich, hemoglobin-y flavor.