Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

"Intrepid should go to Dres!" *WHACK* "No, really, 'cause Dres is cool, and--" *KOTE-GAESHI* *WHACK* 

Intrepid should go to Dres! No, really, 'cause Dres is cool, and everyone loves Dres! After you finish the mission, you should have the return of the intrepid! Where it goes to Dres, Moho, and Eeloo! Unless the ship gets destroyed...

And since you're all being such good sports (except for Max, who, well, is Max... :) ) let's have a few more pages.

jVQTSoM.png

f8h7TbG.png

m4jST60.png

So, um, yeah. I cheated. :blush: I noticed something was up when Intrepid was fueling on Pol and the reactors kept shutting down--but it's really hard to "find" all the radiators on that ship what with lag and all and trying to look through bulkheads, so I just kind of let 1000x time warp "fix" the problem. But I did clearly remember doing sims of Qwammer on Tylo, and having the joy of seeing all the heat under control with the radiators in this config. So kick me, sue me, take away my Jool 5 badge for 1.1.3, but if the physics had been modeled like this when I launched I would certainly have arranged the parts for the heat to get out. 

And as for Bob a.k.a. @RoverDude, I'm looking forward to whatever other "improvements" you've made to these parts in 1.2 :P ...seriously, though, I really appreciate how you continually improve this game, both in stock and in your mods. Thanks to Bill Kerman and a text editor, the mission will continue!

6 minutes ago, Andem said:

Alright, but seriously, I would love to see "The Drescepade - A Kerbfleet Graphic Novel."

Tempting...though I might have to send @Deddly a batch of cupcakes for all the work he'd have to do pruning that thread. :) 

OMG, you had me really scared for a second! I know you read my last chapter, and know how it ended. I didn't do that on purpose, that was some sort of bug that caused my ship to suddenly and inexplicably overheat and explode.

And for a few seconds I seriously thought the same thing was happening to the poor Quammer!  :0.0:

Thank you for breaching the 4th wall and preventing me from having a small heart attack.... :D

Edited by Just Jim

Completely off topic, but I just can't help myself....  :sticktongue:

22 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I did. And if that happens, in addition to cupcakes for Deddly I'll have to send you... a torte. :cool:

Oh no... not a torte!  What next, you fiend, bring out the soft cushion and comfy chair???  

Spoiler

Edited by Just Jim

38 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Just don't finish Chapter 13, OK?

[/offtopic]

Why not? He's already finished Chapter 11... :wink:

On a more serious note, @Kuzzter have you experienced any sudden overheating issues if you go out of physics range for a couple of hours game-time and then come back to the Qwammer? I had some parts with that problem and have yet to track it down, so I'm looking for more data points..

Thanks Kuzzter.  Great update!

I got a good laugh at 'Sorry, not you. I meant a different 'dude'.  And, of course, the console joke.

But the 'heat pipes' were definitely my favourite!  :D

I think he just used the engineering control systems to reroute the heat through the existing RCS pipe network.  At least as far as Lisa is concerned anyway.  Or anyone else on the other side of the fourth wall.  :)

Happy landings!

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And since you're all being such good sports (except for Max, who, well, is Max... :) ) let's have a few more pages.

Hi! 

What's left for landing on? Let's see... 

Jool If you call the probe a "landing"
Laythe No
Vall No
Tylo Yes
Bop No
Pol Yes

Vall is like the mun. Not hard at all for the Qwammer. Laythe has a SSSPTO (Single Stage Sea Plane To Orbit) just for it. Shouldn't be too hard, but Laythe is usually very exciting! Bop is easy. The Kraken would be a good landing spot because you could do SCIENCE!!! 

And that's all for- 

Jeb: YOU FORGET SOMETHING!!! 

What? What did I- 

Dres No. GIVE DRES SOME LOVE!!!

Oh.... 

Jeb: :) 

Some random scientist guy: The Qwammer could do it! The Gumdrops might be able to. 

Jeb: WHAT ABOUT THE MOSTLY EMPTY Intrepid?!? 

No guys that's a bad idea. 

Jeb: NO IT ISN'T!!! 

*Sigh* 

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

[...]route the heat through the existing RCS pipe network.  At least as far as Lisa is concerned anyway.  Or anyone else on the other side of the fourth wall.  :)

This... is an excellent point! And it leads me to a thought experiment. If one were to build an oddball structure such as this...

4kQ2lvT.png

...which of the following can travel freely and instantaneously from one end to the other through the girder, and which cannot?

a) fuel
b) electric power 
c) ore 
d) a Kerbal
e) heat

Hm. Hmmm. HMMMMM!!!!

30 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hm. Hmmm. HMMMMM!!!!

Some experimenting that was even taken beyond thought shows that you can manually transfer anything through that girder.

It must have built-in conduits for electricity, monoprop, and even ore because in normal operation all of these flow freely through the girder.

Fuel (and oxidant) is the only exception.  While these can be manually pumped, in normal operation they will not flow through the girder.

It should be very interesting to see how things will operate after the rework of the resource flow system.

Happy landings!

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

On a more serious note, @Kuzzter have you experienced any sudden overheating issues if you go out of physics range for a couple of hours game-time and then come back to the Qwammer?

I haven't seen that, but then again I might not have been out of physics range of Qwammer for more than a few minutes while it was operating, at least before we installed Bill's "heat pipes". 

3 hours ago, max_creative said:

Vall is like the mun. Not hard at all for the Qwammer. Laythe has a SSSPTO (Single Stage Sea Plane To Orbit) just for it. Shouldn't be too hard, but Laythe is usually very exciting! Bop is easy. The Kraken would be a good landing spot because you could do SCIENCE!!! 

Yeah, not anticipating a lot of problems with Vall, and am hoping the flats are flat enough to do a little rolling between biomes. I kind of wish I'd put on one tiny rearward-facing engine, but I was so focused on saving weight for the Tylo descent/ascent I did not. Oh well. I do anticipate Laythe to be... exciting. One thing we never did simulate in Bill Space Program was an actual water landing/takeoff there, we've only done it on Kerbin.

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

It must have built-in conduits for electricity, monoprop, and even ore because in normal operation all of these flow freely through the girder.

Indeed! And don't forget, a Kerbal squeezer/unsqueezer so they can transfer between cockpits :D And there's one more thing I forgot to mention that the girder can't transfer--science data! Remember this scene?

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

I haven't seen that, but then again I might not have been out of physics range of Qwammer for more than a few minutes while it was operating, at least before we installed Bill's "heat pipes". 

Yeah, not anticipating a lot of problems with Vall, and am hoping the flats are flat enough to do a little rolling between biomes. I kind of wish I'd put on one tiny rearward-facing engine, but I was so focused on saving weight for the Tylo descent/ascent I did not. Oh well. I do anticipate Laythe to be... exciting. One thing we never did simulate in Bill Space Program was an actual water landing/takeoff there, we've only done it on Kerbin.

Indeed! And don't forget, a Kerbal squeezer/unsqueezer so they can transfer between cockpits :D And there's one more thing I forgot to mention that the girder can't transfer--science data! Remember this scene?

My best guess is that kerbals are actually amorphous beings that just assume a humanoid shape. This explains their extreme tolerance for g-forces, their ability to squeeze through any space to get to other capsules, and the reason you only ever see them at the KSC- the "grass" is just kerbals.

2 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

My best guess is that kerbals are actually amorphous beings that just assume a humanoid shape. This explains their extreme tolerance for g-forces, their ability to squeeze through any space to get to other capsules, and the reason you only ever see them at the KSC- the "grass" is just kerbals.

Mystery goo is kerbals! :0.0:

No update today folks, except to say that I've landed the Qwammer several times now and I think I am getting pretty good at it. Despite this, visits to the various biomes have been anything but routine... I don't think I'm going to get to all of them, and I definitely will not get to all of them before the 14 day clock runs out and the away team must return to Intrepid

For now, here's a shot as the sun just emerges from eclipse, with Moho transiting.

Z2dmZ1N.png