Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 10:54 AM, Deddly said:

Congrats on getting TotM for the second time!

Wow! I'm deeply honored, thank you all! And here are some pages!

x0I7Ia4.jpg

QhHOgIz.jpg

o8gpQGg.jpg

Yeah, we're gonna be talking about that last panel for a bit.

Edited by Mister Dilsby

10 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Wait... what?? Val? How?? 

More surprises! 

And I also think Val just saved Evil Bob's life. 

I believe that when the two ships locked together, they merged their turbolifts.

37 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

I believe that when the two ships locked together, they merged their turbolifts.

That, and I’m pretty sure Evil Kurt and Evil Melgee didn’t think to lock any doors behind them. Especially the ones they burned through.

Okay, she's on their bridge.  Doing a science experiment.

But, wow, is she ever a quick study!  She seems to have learned physical combat.  And she took out Evil Bob.

Go Val!  I hope she's not traumatized by this or anything.

Happy landings!

Of all the things I expected to see hopping back onto the forums, this is NOT one of them. But it's really, really wonderful to see this comic again! I'm glad to hear things have been going well for you outside of it, and coming back to this story really just... makes me smile. I guess I'm overdue for a reread, huh?

...It's also kind of funny: I'd drafted something a while ago for a project of mine (which may or may not get actually written someday, idk) which was going to be a character sharing a "ghost ship" story about the Intrepid as a kind of... space Flying Dutchman, caught out of time and wandering the stars forever, never to return to Kerbin. It would've been a fun tribute to an enormously inspirational webcomic, but I'm much happier to see that ghost return to life instead (so to speak). It's really good to be here again, and I'm excited to see what's next! :purpleheart:

That was awesome!

Love the new thread title.  That episode was always one of my favourites.

Val is soooo smart!  So much for evil Bill's device.

Thrilling landings!  (That is not always a good thing, but it is exciting.)

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Love the new thread title.  That episode was always one of my favourites.

For posterity since I’ll change the thread and title with next update—it was “Re-Balance of Terror!” 

1 hour ago, Angelo Kerman said:

That made my weekend. :)

Thank you! What made mine was finding a five year old PowerPoint file where I’d already built the Kerbulan pistol and knife!

HrGxxDd.jpg

4ou8NX0.jpg

6Icvjlq.jpg

And for what it's worth--space combat is RIDICULOUS. As any episode of ST:TNG will attest, getting the two ships in frame for a reasonably good shot puts them orders of magnitude closer than 21st century ground units, let alone where you would expect spacecraft to fight. To get this shot, Evil Jeb and Dilsby's ships are only about 50 meters apart.

13 hours ago, Mister Dilsby said:

And for what it's worth--space combat is RIDICULOUS. As any episode of ST:TNG will attest, getting the two ships in frame for a reasonably good shot puts them orders of magnitude closer than 21st century ground units, let alone where you would expect spacecraft to fight.

Yeah.  It's hard with a visual medium.  And TV/movie folk always seem to get so stuck on always making ships approach each other 'right side up'.  I always wished ST would at least try to vary that for a bit of realism.  Oh well.

Anyway, it looks like Evil Bob has everything figured out.  However, it seems unlikely to me that his plan will survive Dilsby's interaction with Jeb Kermulan.
It seems likely to me that the character for whom the author is the namesake will display some outstanding brilliance.  Go Dilsby!

I really enjoy the way you've created Kerbulan society.  It's fun to see something that truly lines up with my idea of 'Lawful Evil'.

As always, thank you so much for these, @Mister Dilsby!

Happy landings!  (probably not for a while yet)

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

It seems likely to me that the character for whom the author is the namesake will display some outstanding brilliance.  Go Dilsby!

Yeah I probably should not have chosen this as a new name--I wasn't truly trying to make Dilsby Kerman an author avatar, or heavens forbid a Marty Stu. it's just that since "giving up" the comic years ago I've more or less used the name Dilsby throughout my online personae... and even when I rejoined I didn't think I was going to get that deep into it again until I saw what @Angelo Kerman had accomplished--

But, as the Kerbulans might say, the die is cast and we have crossed the Rubikon! Whatever Dilsby does next is and how that all works out was all plotted out five years and a couple of hard drives ago. 

And as to this:

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

However, it seems unlikely to me that his plan will survive Dilsby's interaction with Jeb Kermulan.

Seeing as "no plan has ever survived contact with the enemy" and that "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", it's not a spoiler to say you might be on to something there. xD

• 2 weeks later...

Oof! That's gotta sting. Kind of looks like Mr. Dilsby went near a Gumdrop...

Random thought: In years past, Bill has noticed when the game updates happened. I wonder if he's had time to notice the switch to KSP 1.12.5...

1 hour ago, Angelo Kerman said:

I wonder if he's had time to notice the switch to KSP 1.12.5

Bill pulls out his standard issue laser welder and wonders why they never read the cargo manifest before?

3 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Random thought: In years past, Bill has noticed when the game updates happened. I wonder if he's had time to notice the switch to KSP 1.12.5...

Well: I didn’t know that until you mentioned it—but if I don’t need it I’m not downloading,  I have enough problems!

Oh no!

This doesn't look good at all.

On the other hand, Evil Jeb is now busy monologuing.  Hopefully Dilsby can now take advantage of that. 
Perhaps both Dilsby's (character and author) will now take advantage of that.  :)

Happy landings!

Hey! So I've got bad news and good news. The bad you already know, and it's that I haven't been able to make any new pages since that single one last week. My work spilled over to the weekend this week, and I also had to do my taxes. 

But the very GOOD news is--while searching my gmail for a receipt I needed, I came across a series of emails from a defunct account to my current one, with loads of Kerbfleet stuff attached (uniforms, flags, etc), some ships--and a persistence file! 

Of course, at this point thanks to Angelo I have the ships and we're running along nicely with the story when I have the time--so even if I could find an old copy of KSP (and all the mods!) that could actually run that persistence file, it wouldn't make too much difference to telling the story. BUT now at least I'll have all the characters with their appropriate stats, and there are probably some other helpful goodies buried in there... when I actually have time to open all the files and start copying and pasting, which is not now. It's not this week either, as I'll be traveling for work and won't have my KSP machine with me.