1/4 of Americans Do not Believe Earth Orbits the Sun

fredinno

http://time.com/7809/1-in-4-americans-thinks-sun-orbits-earth/

No joke. 1/4 of Americans believe the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Also, it states that Europeans actually scored WORSE on that question, so it's not really a problem isolated in 'merica.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/1-in-4-americans-dont-know-earth-orbits-the-sun-yes-really-140214.htm

Here it also states that about halfway Americans believe Astrology is bunk science. No really. Guys, take your tin foil hats off. Please.

Idk about the survey size, so I can't really judge.

But I think it's more accurate to say that they don't know. Most people probably don't need that information and thus, they forgot. So I think it means that most people don't care and that people guessed, resulting in that 1/4. So, maybe it's like 1/2 of Americans don't know. But that's completely conjecture.

50 minutes ago, RainDreamer said:

Well, look at the bright side - that is a 75% of people that know basic things like this. We will still have to see the details of the survey to see how accurate it is.

"A National Science Foundation study involving 2,200 participants find that about 25 percent of Americans got this question wrong: 'Does the Earth go around the sun, or does the sun go around the Earth?'"

Just now, fredinno said:

"A National Science Foundation study involving 2,200 participants find that about 25 percent of Americans got this question wrong: 'Does the Earth go around the sun, or does the sun go around the Earth?'"

The trouble with that is that you can interpret that in many ways. Some thought it was right, while it seems that more just guessed wrong. 

12 minutes ago, fredinno said:

I guess some respondents might have interpreted that it all depends on your frame of reference.  Since they live on Earth it must be the centre.  The fact that, consequently, the entire universe must then also revolve around the Earth is another discussion, but likely fits in with some religious teachings of the last couple of millennia.

Tongue firmly in cheek...

P.S. I do realize that at least one Church has accepted the view that the Earth is not the centre of the universe.

Edited by Brigadier

Laws of heavenly motion.

1. Earth is at the center of creation, and heaven revolves around an axis passing through it at a constant rate.
  2. All bodies in heaven are attracted to each other by a force proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them.
  3. All bodies in heaven are attracted to Earth by a force proportional to their mass and inversely proportional to distance from Earth. 
  4. All bodies in heaven are repelled from the axis of rotation by a force proportional to their mass and distance from the axis.
  5. All bodies in heaven are acted on by the force that is proportional to their mass and speed perpendicular to the axis and is directed on the line perpendicular both to their velocity and axis of rotation.
  6. All bodies in heaven are pushed along the line connecting Sun to Earth by a force proportional to the mass of the body.

That covers the dominant forces. Should be sufficient to stand up to the test by any lay person with a telescope and a lot of spare time. Doesn't account for Sun's wobble or Earth Sun orbit's eccentricity, but that requires more careful observations done by scientific community, and these guys are obviously a part of the grand conspiracy to keep the truth hidden.

Don't worry, I think I've seen similar results for Russia, and there was a funny screenshot from french (?) "Who wants to be a millionaire" where audience couldn't answer "what revolves around the Earth" question.

Stupidity is like terrorism: it doesn't have a nationality, religion or citizenship.

4 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Most people probably don't need that information

I would think basic cosmological questions like "what does the world I stand on look like from a distance" come across most kid's head so I'm not sure if I buy that excuse.

Besides, you can't argue on the one hand "Pluto was a planet according to mnemonics they taught us at school so change it back" and then on the other hand "well they never taught us that Earth went around the Sun", Americans are afterall the loudest bunch about Pluto's demotion.

5 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Idk about the survey size, so I can't really judge.

But I think it's more accurate to say that they don't know. Most people probably don't need that information and thus, they forgot. So I think it means that most people don't care and that people guessed, resulting in that 1/4. So, maybe it's like 1/2 of Americans don't know. But that's completely conjecture.

Yes, but honestly, is it really hard to forget something as simple as 'Earth around the Sun with all other planets'? I mean sure, after you stop studying/caring about something, you forget most of it, but the simplest things should really stay in your mind. But the thing is, do all these people just avoid anything intelligent??? I mean, on pretty much all major online news that I read, such as BBC, there is a science section (which often has a few articles on the front page), and often these articles are about astronomy, (and make it pretty clear how the basics of the universe work.) So do the papers that these people read not have anything like that? Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't read any news at all.:(

Edited by A35K

7 hours ago, fredinno said:

Here it also states that about halfway Americans believe Astrology is bunk science. No really. Guys, take your tin foil hats off. Please.

So. Is it hard science to you? :sticktongue:

3 hours ago, J.Random said:

...and there was a funny screenshot from french (?) "Who wants to be a millionaire" where audience couldn't answer "what revolves around the Earth" question.

What? They didn't know just precisely how many operational satellites and pieces of debris currently orbit Earth? I thought that was common lore! :D

9 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

No, no, no. The Earth is a toroid, not a flat disk. That's why the ROUND-8 looks like that.

It can't be a toroid, that would make it possible to go all the way around one section. Everyone knows you fall off the edge if you go too far. Wasn't that how Magellan died? The ROUND-8 was made for looking cool on the sides of boats, it has nothing to do with the shape of the earth. It's been proven that Earth is a disk, just look around next time you're flying over the ocean. Is it a torus? No! Is it a square? No! Is it a disk? Yes! Obviously the Earth's shape is a flat disk.

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I am not going to lie, as an American, I'm starting to find this thread quite insulting!

Well, the only reason it's Americans specifically is because it was an American survey. The disturbing thing is that I expect the same would be true of many other populations as well... if certain people I know are anything to go by.
Once upon a time I assumed that basic facts like this were common knowledge, easily obtained by anyone who received even basic schooling... with age comes the realisation that ignorance is everywhere. I don't think it's stupidity either, some people just don't seem to care.

15 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Well, the only reason it's Americans specifically is because it was an American survey. The disturbing thing is that I expect the same would be true of many other populations as well... if certain people I know are anything to go by.
Once upon a time I assumed that basic facts like this were common knowledge, easily obtained by anyone who received even basic schooling... with age comes the realisation that ignorance is everywhere. I don't think it's stupidity either, some people just don't seem to care.

No, one of the articles says this was a similar problem for Euopeans.

Dont forget that surverys can be manipulated easily even without using wrong numbers. You just have to ask the right people to get the results you want. This scientific foundation thing seems to get money from the government, of course its in their interest to make stuff sound worse than it its. Maybe they asked people around a congress of flat earthers or fundamental christians...

Also i dont realy belive the cited number of 66% for europeans. Maybe in some of the less developed parts of poorer countrys, but not overall...

Another interesting questons would be the reason for their belief: Were they never tought that in school? Or is it some kind of conspiracy repurposed bovine waste like chemtrails? Conspiracys are popular in right political groups, and those are on the rise in europe...

Edit: "Bullsh it" gets converted to "repurposed bovine waste"? Is that such a bad word?

Edited by Elthy