[1.2.1] SimpleConstruction - Stock rocket building v3.3

MatterBeam

On 5/13/2016 at 6:55 PM, King_17 said:

Is this compatible with 1.1.2 by any chance?

It will cause errors. I will update in 2 days.

On 5/13/2016 at 8:33 PM, CaptainKorhonen said:

Where can I get older versions of the mod? Need the latest 1.0.5 one, 1.1.2 is far too unstable at the moment. I'd recommend uploading all releases to github or something.

Click on the spacedock.info link then find the 'Changelog' link. All previous versions are downloadable from there.

6 minutes ago, cy-one said:

Quick question, kinda.

If I install this, and then use _just_ the recycler-parts from EPL, would they work? *hopes*

Cause that's kind of the only thing missing here, imho.

The only reason the recycler isn't featured here is because it is quite hard to create a recycler function without a custom model, and that wouldnt be very stock.

It is unlikely that a recycler from EPL can be 'dropped' into SimpleConstruction, because it would require an appropriate config in the Settings file.

49 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Insta-download! This is incredibly useful, thank you!

It won't break your save, but please do some testing before sending out a rocket!

So the EPL-Recycler, including it's EPL-part-config-file wouldn't work? Shame.

Is there a way to support that "inofficially"? Meaning, not adding a new part or anything (I actually love that characteristic of SimpleConstruction), but supporting people (like me :D) who just want to use the EPL-Recycler (downloading EPL, deleting everything but the recyclers)?

1 minute ago, cy-one said:

So the EPL-Recycler, including it's EPL-part-config-file wouldn't work? Shame.

Is there a way to support that "inofficially"? Meaning, not adding a new part or anything (I actually love that characteristic of SimpleConstruction), but supporting people (like me :D) who just want to use the EPL-Recycler (downloading EPL, deleting everything but the recyclers)?

Sure thing, I'll look into it.

Thank you :) I always wanted a "reduced" EPL. Some parts just look... not so beautiful, and what's more stock-a-like than, well, stock? XD

I often ended up tweaking EPL, by not-installing probably 50-70% if the parts it ships with...

Once there's "support" for the recycler, there's no need for me to use EPL (besides the kinda-fugly recycler).

1 hour ago, MatterBeam said:

It is unlikely that a recycler from EPL can be 'dropped' into SimpleConstruction, because it would require an appropriate config in the Settings file.

I have no idea what makes it hard specifically or if this would work, but one thing I thought would be cool would be to give the "Recycle" ability to the Claw. You claw something, and then one of the options is to "Recycle" that thing (maybe listing how many rocket parts or metal or whatever it'd give you). Programmatically, the game would upon clicking that button detach from what you'd clawed, and then immediately recycle that ship the way the recycler does.

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I have no idea what makes it hard specifically or if this would work, but one thing I thought would be cool would be to give the "Recycle" ability to the Claw. You claw something, and then one of the options is to "Recycle" that thing (maybe listing how many rocket parts or metal or whatever it'd give you). Programmatically, the game would upon clicking that button detach from what you'd clawed, and then immediately recycle that ship the way the recycler does.

Yes that Sir sounds like a wonderful idea!

Also @MatterBeam I have a question and a statement.

Statement: You Sir are wonderful! I've been using this mod since I found it.

Question: Is the updated version on CKAN yet? Sorry I'm not at my KSP Computer so I can't check.

Edited by kerbalstar

When I first installed this Mod, I found that all my Probe's that had the Jr Docking ports where then considered Construction parts.

Also back in V1.3 for KSP 1.0.5 you had the recycler ability as part of the Jr Docking Port.

I didn't like losing the ability to just have a Jr Docking port. So I changed your DockingPortJr.cfg to read:

+PART[dockingPort3]:FOR[SimpleConstruction]:NEEDS[Launchpad]//needs EPL launchPad.dll
{
	@name = ConstructionPort3
	@title = Construction port
	@description ^= :$: Now you can also launch rockets! Just be very careful when activating the Recycler.:
	MODULE
	{
		name = ExLaunchPad
		SpawnHeightOffset = 0.2
	}
	MODULE 
	{
		name = ExRecycler
	}
	MODULE 
	{
		name = ExTarget
		TargetName = Recycling Bin
		TargetTransform = RecycleTarget
	}
}

55 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

This mod puts Extraplanetary launchpad's rocket building compatibility, from @taniwha, into stock parts. I don't speak the mystical tongue that is C++, nor can I unravel the twin mysteries of API and DLL. I cannot create new functionalities to add to parts. 

The original Extraplanetary launchpads used a special node in the recycler's model to determine whether the target object is touching the recycler. If yes, it deletes that part and adds metal to your tank. It doesn't work like a Claw, that 'docks' the target part. It would therefore require that @taniwha write some entirely new code for this functionality....

46 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

Yes that Sir sounds like a wonderful idea!

Also @MatterBeam I have a question and a statement.

Statement: You Sir are wonderful! I've been using this mod since I found it.

Question: Is the updated version on CKAN yet? Sorry I'm not at my KSP Computer so I can't check.

Thank you very much! See below..

I don't really use CKAN, so thanks for checking,.

14 minutes ago, bear67 said:

When I first installed this Mod, I found that all my Probe's that had the Jr Docking ports where then considered Construction parts.

Also back in V1.3 for KSP 1.0.5 you had the recycler ability as part of the Jr Docking Port.

I didn't like losing the ability to just have a Jr Docking port. So I changed your DockingPortJr.cfg to read:

+PART[dockingPort3]:FOR[SimpleConstruction]:NEEDS[Launchpad]//needs EPL launchPad.dll
{
	@name = ConstructionPort3
	@title = Construction port
	@description ^= :$: Now you can also launch rockets! Just be very careful when activating the Recycler.:
	MODULE
	{
		name = ExLaunchPad
		SpawnHeightOffset = 0.2
	}
	MODULE 
	{
		name = ExRecycler
	}
	MODULE 
	{
		name = ExTarget
		TargetName = Recycling Bin
		TargetTransform = RecycleTarget
	}
}

There's a good reason for this.

The first is that this mod is fully stock compatible, meaning it doesn't add new parts. Second, if you remove or delete the mod, you don't break any ships.

The recycler module back in v1.3 was a failed experiment. I added the Module before I knew about @taniwha's method of implementing the recycling ability, which required a special model with an additional node. 

7 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

The original Extraplanetary launchpads used a special node in the recycler's model to determine whether the target object is touching the recycler. If yes, it deletes that part and adds metal to your tank. It doesn't work like a Claw, that 'docks' the target part.

The recycler module back in v1.3 was a failed experiment. I added the Module before I knew about @taniwha's method of implementing the recycling ability, which required a special model with an additional node. 

Aww too bad. It'd be nice if there was a way to implement this into any existing model, but - like you said for yourself - that kind of black magic is beyond me.

Hmm, it may be possible to hack in the required trigger collider using a special model file, the right MODEL {...} node, and some MM magic. I know similar worked for adding a thrust transform to an engine. However, that special model file might put it outside the scope of this mod.

I've got a minor issue with this mod.  The toolbar icon shows up as a purple square.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Edit:
Located the following in the log:

[Toolbar] [ERROR] button texture not found: ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Textures/icon_button

Edited by razark

9 hours ago, razark said:

[Toolbar] [ERROR] button texture not found: ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Textures/icon_button

You can grab the icon from EL's zip, if it's not in SC's zip (if it is, just move it to the right place).

58 minutes ago, taniwha said:

You can grab the icon from EL's zip, if it's not in SC's zip (if it is, just move it to the right place).

The icon exists at SimpleConstruction/Textures/icon_button, there's just something in the code that expects the other location.

Mhm... Is there some SC-related research to be done?

I just spawned an ISRU (+probe core) on the runway in career, but there's no metal-rocketpart-whatever-printing option.

I'm confused :(

Just now, cy-one said:

Mhm... Is there some SC-related research to be done?

I just spawned an ISRU (+probe core) on the runway in career, but there's no metal-rocketpart-whatever-printing option.

I'm confused :(

It's the Science lab :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.