Which is the coolest (Major) outer moon?

Spaceception

Moons!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Moons!

• Io
    • Europa
    • Ganymede
    • Callisto
    • Mimas
    • Enceladus
    • Rhea
    • Tethys
    • Iaptus
    • Hyperion
    • Titan
    • Titania
    • Oberon
    • Miranda
    • Umbriel
    • Ariel
    • Triton
    • Any Asteroid moon around these planets (Name it and describe it)

Iapetus.

Iapetus_Roncevaux.jpg

It has a huge equatorial ridge reaching up to 13km, with almost vertical cliffs kilometers high in some places. It's also the largest body we know of not in hydrostatic equilibrium. It orbits so far out that it's the only moon we know of that could have theoretically supported it's own stable moon, had one formed. It's huge black spot is due to ice melting because it's dark hemisphere is exposed to more sunlight, due to the length of it's orbit and it's day.

10 hours ago, K^2 said:

Janus and Epimetheus are by far the coolest moons in the entire Solar System, and of course, they are not on the list.

Well, if I added asteroid moons (The exception being Hyperion, since it looks so weird), I couldn't put up every moon on the poll. But anyway, why do you like them so much?

EDIT: Look at the bottom of the poll.

Edited by Spaceception

Titan is the most likely place for life.

On 2/17/2016 at 1:33 AM, MrHappyFace said:

Iapetus.

Iapetus_Roncevaux.jpg

It has a huge equatorial ridge reaching up to 13km, with almost vertical cliffs kilometers high in some places. It's also the largest body we know of not in hydrostatic equilibrium. It orbits so far out that it's the only moon we know of that could have theoretically supported it's own stable moon, had one formed. It's huge black spot is due to ice melting because it's dark hemisphere is exposed to more sunlight, due to the length of it's orbit and it's day.

Also, Iapetus has a crater, which could have a stargate, capable of turning Jupiter into a star.Ha Ha.It is pretty cool,though.

Edited by Emperor of the Titan Squid

Well, Io looks cool and weird, Europa and Enceladus have friggin' liquid water in their mantles, Pan is a walnut, Mimas looks like the Death Star, Charon has that weird split, some Uranus moons have huge cliffs and low gravity, but of course if there was one place I would pay to go to, it's Titan.

Triton.  Even though some of the appeal of actually visiting it was removed when we all found out how cool Pluto and Charon were, Triton is still the most interesting to me. It rotates retrograde extremely close to Neptune, has an active surface similar to Pluto; it appears, and has a small atmosphere.  And the fact that it wasn't born around Neptune makes it interesting by that fact alone. I want to know where it's been and what it's been through.

But if we're just going for cool looks it's gotta be Mimas right? Can't argue with the Death Star less it find our lack of faith in it disturbing! :)

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Spaceception said:

Well, if I added asteroid moons (The exception being Hyperion, since it looks so weird), I couldn't put up every moon on the poll. But anyway, why do you like them so much?

EDIT: Look at the bottom of the poll.

Every four years they freaking swap orbits. That's amazing.

Enceladus. Free artesian water !

Also, once I was assigned to estimate the time it took to dry out Enceladus' water. With some horrible approximation, it calculates to... 4 minutes. Quite hard to explain that one, but guess it goes to the total area of the rift (assumed water can get out anywhere on there !)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.