Go For Launch - Cooperative RO/RSS/RP-0 - About to start!

NathanKell

2 minutes ago, goldenpeach said:

How will the launches work?
Will all of the participants be in a same skype call(or any other software doing the same thing)?

My english accent is not so good(by that I mean that you will probably understand most of what I say, but you will not understand some of my words/sentences because of that) so is there a way to participate without talking? (in exemple, by chatting)

That's how it went in Real Space Program, all in one Skype call.

I'm in a similar boat. If I overcame the hurdles of mods and not exploding my computer, Skype could be an issue, since if I use my voice somebody could trace me and stalk me online and find me and murder me. You can never be too careful.

@goldenpeach Yes, certainly we can come up with something. If nothing else you can help the Flight Director or Trajectory by watching various telemetry readouts and warning them when numbers go bad (or good). There's also all the rest of the stuff that's prior to (and after) flying the actual mission.

6 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@goldenpeach Yes, certainly we can come up with something. If nothing else you can help the Flight Director or Trajectory by watching various telemetry readouts and warning them when numbers go bad (or good). There's also all the rest of the stuff that's prior to (and after) flying the actual mission.

EDIT: something that just got trough my is: should we use random failure mods?
On one side, they could increase the roleplay part(i.e: what have that problem, what do we do to solve it/ seeing bad informations during the missions etc...) while on the other side, they tend to be quite frustrating (I speak from experience here).

So I'm currently reading about Realism Overhaul and feeling dizzy. I'm way too tired to be worrying about the increasingly complex world of mods I'm exploring.
I'm thinking of setting a goal: Install a simple mod, like Kerbal Alarm Clock. I looked at the thread, and there's no massive list of required mods, no piles of acronyms, just sweet, sweet, simplicity. Which I guarantee won't be simple and will frustrate me to no end.

Bleh.

57 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

So: Question before I install a bunch of mods and everything. Is there an easy way to "turn off" mods? I don't think I'd want to play RP_0 and such just for fun, so could I disable and reenable them easily?

Best to keep a separate install with the RO/RSS/RP0 suite of mods installed.

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Best to keep a separate install with the RO/RSS/RP0 suite of mods installed.

Yes. CKAN is quite good for this, and I'm going to start trying to maintain a pastebin of required mods (only parts mods of course, KER/MJ/KAC should be fine because they don't break compatibility across machines).

15 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Now we're getting into two KSP's on one computer? I'll see what I can do.

I'm in over my head :confused:

Oh dear, I see you're new to this. :) I have seven installs of KSP active on my PC, and I'll spin up another one just for this once we figure out which part mods we'll be using. And I know others keep many more.  

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Oh dear, I see you're new to this. :) I have seven installs of KSP active on my PC, and I'll spin up another one just for this once we figure out which part mods we'll be using. And I know others keep many more.  

Yep :P I've played for a while, but never with mods. 

I think I have the solution. I play stock on my PC and I won't mod that since the computer is fragile and is kinda terrifying. I also have a laptop with KSP, but I don't really play on it since I don't like the trackpad. I can mod THAT install of it, and find a mouse.

First up - I would love to be part of something like this but I have a number of concerns.

1. So far I'm not yet familiar enough with RSS/RO/RP-0 though I've been meaning/wanting to get there.

2. I'm in an odd timezone for alot of these things and have a somewhat crowded schedule, so I'm not sure I'd be the best choice.

3. I'm not sure what skill I could bring to the table that others on the forum couldn't bring better.  I'm not the best pilot, designer, or mathematician.  

These three concerns lead me to avoid the Real Space Program thread because I felt that I wouldn't be able to meaningfully contribute even though I was really interested.  I've got a RSS/RO/RP-0 that I got installed on this computer a week ago, but I'm not very far in it yet.

(I could probably be good with post-processing of video feeds into one finished product and/or press release style things ... PR person or such ... and I'd be happy to learn from the masters here on the forum how to do things better than I have been doing them).

2 hours ago, loch.ness said:

First up - I would love to be part of something like this but I have a number of concerns.

1. So far I'm not yet familiar enough with RSS/RO/RP-0 though I've been meaning/wanting to get there.

2. I'm in an odd timezone for alot of these things and have a somewhat crowded schedule, so I'm not sure I'd be the best choice.

3. I'm not sure what skill I could bring to the table that others on the forum couldn't bring better.  I'm not the best pilot, designer, or mathematician.  

These three concerns lead me to avoid the Real Space Program thread because I felt that I wouldn't be able to meaningfully contribute even though I was really interested.  I've got a RSS/RO/RP-0 that I got installed on this computer a week ago, but I'm not very far in it yet.

(I could probably be good with post-processing of video feeds into one finished product and/or press release style things ... PR person or such ... and I'd be happy to learn from the masters here on the forum how to do things better than I have been doing them).

Post-processing and/or highlights could be a great way to contribute if you can't make it to the launch/stream events. We need things to post to reddit and youtube for that yummy karma. :P 

I'm interested in being part of this, but my schedule is crowded enough that I probably can't be live 'on loop' during launches.  I can however contribute in other ways:

• Mission patches.  While working on Ijkslander Space Program I've developed a good workflow and set of techniques for making these.  (The secret is: layers, more layers, and some more layers after that.)
  • Documentation.  I imagine we'll want a nice cross-referenced wiki or something to showcase our missions, rather than linking people to the middle of a giant forum thread ;)  I'd be happy to organise something like that.
  • Telemetry UI.  I'm currently working on a text-mode frontend for displaying Telemachus telemetry, to give mission control a properly retro feel.  Because in the 50s and 60s, they didn't have 3D graphics; real 'steely-eyed missile men' work from a screenful of numbers.  Also it means you can have someone whose job is just to call out "Downrange distance XYZ kilometres" every thirty seconds :D

3 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@Matuchkin great! :) Have you played RP-0?

Well, I tried to download it but the loading process of KSP hung when it got to Lack's SXT, a requirement. I plan to help out differently, by helping with concepts, construction, ideas, etc. That's if I can, of course. I also develop multiple launchers, that don't require RP-0's recommended parts. I have two very effective launcher series that I'm developing on. So if I can help in that way, that's nice.

Edited by Matuchkin

I'll have to keep eye on this! I'll help the same way matuchkin is! (Considering a group of friends and i are designing and building rockets, this could be fairly educational!) My rp-0 ksp keeps hanging on loading but i'll see what i can do!

Edited by ThaZeus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.