Kerbal Space Program 1.1 Hype Train Thread.

Whirligig Girl

After watching streamers play 1.1 for a bit I am getting hyped for sure.

The UI improvements appear to be all that I hoped for and more!  This adds so much polish.

And the performance!  Just Wow!

I'm not quite at the point of purchasing a Steam key just to get my hands on the public pre-release, but it has entered my mind.  :)

Happy landings!

7 hours ago, something said:

So I really hope the unity 5 engine will boost the performance on my i5 integrated graphics 64bit linux system... would be a shame if it didn't. Are there any news regarding the Linux versions of the game?

This is really indirect, but on another forum, someone commented that Unity 5 entailed optimization to the OpenGL render path.  That suggests that performance under Linux should improve where graphics are an issue.

It's always amazed me how bad Unity's OpenGL render path is, as Unity's two big features are 'cheap' and 'portable', and DirectX is compatible with exactly zero of those goals (DX is a heavy, moving-target API that involves a lot of programmer time overhead, and ports to exactly ONE platform - Windows).  If Unity had been designed to be only available on Windows, the DirectX focus might have made more sense, but it's designed to run pretty much everywhere, allegedly...

On 24 March 2016 at 9:56 AM, nosirrbro said:

The preformance increase is phenominal.

On the dynawing that was used on the stream, 1.1 80-90fps on a laptop, my desktop does ~20-35, 15 while exploding in 1.0.5

Thats at least a three times frame increase

5fps with the medium settings on my laptop... But wait for it....

I have a  similar laptop to the stream!!!

35 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Has anything been said about the garbage collection process? 

I can't recall anything specific to KSP about that, but I thought I read somewhere else that the GC built into Unity 5 is much better than Unity 4.

Alas, I can't for the life of me remember where or when I read that, so take it with all the authority that an anonymous internet-goer has to his name. 

Even if Unity 5 cant manage multiple cores on one ship, there is still one thing to hype, Aircraft carriers!!. It was pain to land on aircraft carrier, when i come near to it, game starts to lag.

1 minute ago, qromodynmc said:

Even if Unity 5 cant manage multiple cores on one ship, there is still one thing to hype, Aircraft carriers!!. It was pain to land on aircraft carrier, when i come near to it, game starts to lag.

That why you use tweak scale and part welder, makes 1 part flight decks. :P 

Issue with aircraft carrier is more how they tend to implode when they get loaded in.

Just now, Temeter said:

That why you use tweak scale and part welder, makes 1 part flight decks. :P 

Issue with aircraft carrier is more how they tend to implode when they get loaded in.

I already use tweakscale and part welder but Im facing with a bug, my ships explode over ocean when i get closer to them.

6 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Wow. What's your CPU?

Revised my statement: NOT exactly similar... I heard it wrong.

2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300 at 2.50GHz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600

Got from Minecraft F3 screen.

Yeah that's a bit different. On my I5 4570k, the Dynawing is around 60fps. But the real difference seems to occur with bigger ships.

1 minute ago, qromodynmc said:

I already use tweakscale and part welder but Im facing with a bug, my ships explode over ocean when i get closer to them.

That's what I'm talking about. Think KasperVld said there is a bug where 2 watered down ships being loaded in causes them to move to the ocean floor (or at least they try). It's already fixed! :D:D:D

1 minute ago, Temeter said:

Yeah that's a bit different. On my I5 4570k, the Dynawing is around 60fps. But the real difference seems to occur with bigger ships.

That's what I'm talking about. Think KasperVld said there is a bug where 2 watered down ships being loaded in causes them to move to the ocean floor (or at least they try). It's already fixed! :D:D:D

Oh boy,

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Berlin said:

Has anything been said about the garbage collection process? 

I'm also very keen to see if that has been improved. I've heard conflicting things; on one hand that unity 5 uses the same version of mono as before, which would imply the same GC, but one the other hand I've also heard that the GC has been upgraded. So tbh I'm not sure. Would like a definitive answer on that if anyone has it.

Any bets on which Youtube channels will have 1.1 prerelease videos up before the end of the weekend? :) Scott Manley is away so I presume we'll have to wait to hear his thoughts.

Edited by Kerano

Just now, MalevolentNinja said:

It's on a time release, like a bank vault. Trying to open it manually is an exercise in futility.

So it is, I opened it and spilled the mystery goo...

Now my face is green. :(