Let's talk about fairings for a second...

Kerbin vonKerbal

I was curious about other people's perspectives on fairings, either stock or addon. 

I personally only use KW Procedural Fairings, because the stock ones horrify me with the lack of smoothness and the way they basically implode upon jettison, not to mention the current bug they have. KW is a go-to with every install. If I do anything unmanned, the payload absolutely has to be under an Egg-Shaped clamshell fairing.

This is all personal taste, and has to do with my love for aesthetically-pleasing rockets. Sorry if this is on the wrong topic, I just figured it's not about any specific addon. What's everybody else's take on fairings? 

As far as I could see on the 1.1 streams yesterday, the number of fairing panels will be changeable in 1.1 in the VAB or SPH, with a slider allowing anything from "clamshell" to "flak gun" fairings (not that those terms are used). The bug you mentioned was also fixed in 1.1.

The less part mods I can play with, the happier I am. So I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. There's a “clam shell fairings” mod that gets rid of the popcorn deployment, and if that mod breaks my ships can still launch. It will probably break with the update, but then again, the update will bring us clam shell deployment so who cares? :)

As for lack of smoothness; yes. But real world fairings aren't always that smooth either and you can achieve a lot by working with small segments. The truly annoying thing is the aero bug—I can't wait for the 1.1 update in that respect.

Edited by Kerbart

8 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

I'm assuming you don't know about the new stock fairings in 1.1 ?

I know about the future stock clamshells, I was just referring to what we have now, which is the popcorn deploying un-smooth fairings. Again, personal preference based off what we are currently equipped with in stock game.

I use Procedural Fairings, much more versatile and provides interstages that work beautifully.  If I want to standardize (restrict) the fairing size for the upper stage all I have to do is turn off auto sizing and set it manually.  I've even ModuleManagered in my own boattail base from the interstage.  Great mod.

I like the popocorn mechanic! Looks nice, got no issue with them. It's not even that unfitting considering how much explosives rockets like the Saturn 5 carried with them. There is also an advantage in creating fairings yourself, since stock payloads tend to be a bit cumbersome. I'm generally going with these fairings for my stock style games.

For Real Solar System, or more precisely Realism Overhaul, I'm using proc fairings. More scalability than a limited selection of sizes is pretty much a neccessity, and the cleaner, more realistic look fit's the gameplay more as well. The automatic shaping usually works out for the more sensible payloads of RO crafts.

To me, there isn't any inherent superiority in either format, and I can report that my hair doesn't fall out on the sight of stock fairings.

Edited by Temeter

If you want to play with stock parts only you have two choices. One is to use the stock proc fairings which in the next patch will have clam-shells and a choice to the number of sides which is great. They are still very limited though. On the plus size they are a single part until separated.

The second choice is to make them out of other stock parts like structural panels or radiators or backwards solar panels things of that nature. If done right and with the proper knowledge you can make any kind of faring you like. I have used both and if 1.1 is as good as it seems it will be I will use more custom stock fairings such as aero-shells for lander craft.

Edited by Majorjim

11 hours ago, Kerbin vonKerbal said:

I know about the future stock clamshells, I was just referring to what we have now, which is the popcorn deploying un-smooth fairings. Again, personal preference based off what we are currently equipped with in stock game.

Okay, I was just referring to what we'll have in the next few days.

50 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Okay, I was just referring to what we'll have in the next few days.

A little bit longer than that. The experimental pre-release has barely gone live, and on the various youtube and twitch streams is a healthy amount of bugs being demonstrated. I expect at least a week. And to be honest, hopefully a bit longer than that, meaning that Squad is learning about and fixing a jumbo tank full of bugs!

7 hours ago, bonyetty said:

This allowed me to play with rockets again and not just aircraft. It also allows clam shell fairings too. I am also hoping that it wont break stock saves for 1.1. 

The fact that Claw was hired by Squad gives me a fair bit of hope.

11 hours ago, Kerbart said:

The experimental pre-release has barely gone live [...] I expect at least a week. 

Pre-release isn't out yet, it's just the media group that got their hands on experimental builds. 

The pre-release is stated to last two weeks. I assume any bugs not found or not fixed by the end of the two weeks will be carried over to 1.1. 

I'm with @regex , Procedural Fairings are the bomb.

1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

The pre-release is stated to last two weeks. I assume any bugs not found or not fixed by the end of the two weeks will be carried over to 1.1. 

A feature is merely a bug with seniority.  Heh.  ;)

(I think you're right; anything we don't catch or isn't fixed will definitely roll into 1.1 as an outstanding issue :/ )

1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Pre-release isn't out yet, it's just the media group that got their hands on experimental builds. 

I hope, and expect, that if any new bugs or issues that show up during the pre release period that are particularly odd or serious will be addressed if at all possible, even if that does mean a delay in full release.  That's what I believe the purpose of the pre release is, to catch the odd or unusual things that didn't get noticed within the more structured framework of the normal experimental process, not just 'bugs' either, maybe some balance issues get raised and it's decided that a tweak is in order.  Any urgent hotfixes can be applied and tested in the pre release where that is expected, rather than just a few hours after full release as happened with 1.0.

They won't catch everything, and if it turns out we do need hotfixes very soon after release then so be it, but if pre release does it's job the risk should be minimal, and any 'leftovers' should be less serious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.