[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

14 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

There's two main ways I try to keep the AI using long-ranged attacks while it still has missiles:

1-Turn down gun firing range.
2-Increase/decrease missiles launched per target. (Depends on the issue, so ammo count is key here.)

Really, it's somewhat dependent on your plane and loadout- but for the sake of simplicity, AMRAAMs are really want you want to load up on for missiles, with MAYBE an AIM-9 pair or two for when you run low or need something to shoot off when a jet's near you but not going evasive.

I agree with this. AMRAAMs are deadly SoBs and are the thing you need. I haven't entered yet, wanting to perfect my design, but I've found that spamming AMRAAMs against the Stealth Weasel is the best way to go. 

Now to take on the Phantom...

Just now, drtricky said:

Am I the only one who feels that AIM-120 AMRAAMs are too difficult to break radar lock from in general? And no, this is not because of my huge fighters.

no, not really. I feel the same way. you have to be able to pull a lot of Gs to break their lock, plus multiple chaff dispensers.

10 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

no, not really. I feel the same way. you have to be able to pull a lot of Gs to break their lock, plus multiple chaff dispensers.

I feel that the amount of chaff needed to even have a chance of breaking radar locks is ridiculous.

Edited by drtricky

2 hours ago, ReeceEngineering said:

Im missing the following mods. I cant find them on Cuse or Spacedock. Can anyone help?

BahamutoD's BDAVesselSwitcher
BahamutoD's DestructionEffects
BahamutoD's Vessel Mover
HyperEdit
InFlightFlagSwitcher

Guys Im itching to join the competition. Can anyone help me find these mods?

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Yes, that's also true.

My fighters get up close and personal, mainly because they fire their missiles too slowly.

Also, @inigma, does adding/subtracting weapons hardpoints count as weapon modification? Or just the weapons on them?

Yes it counts as an illegal modification for the King. Only AI changes are permitted to the King. Everyone else is permitted any kind of changes just before their match vs the current King of the Hill.

Just now, inigma said:

Yes it counts as an illegal modification for the King. Only AI changes are permitted to the King. Everyone else is permitted any kind of changes just before their match vs the current King of the Hill.

any weapons changes? Or just hardpoint addition/subtraction?

25 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

any weapons changes? Or just hardpoint addition/subtraction?

As King of the Hill, only AI changes permitted. Everyone else, anything, including and up to new craft. So yes.

Just now, drtricky said:

Huh, Stealth Weasel was dethroned a bit earlier than I had expected...

Never underestimate the ingenuity of determined challengers. :) This outta be fun to see what evolves.

9 minutes ago, inigma said:

Never underestimate the ingenuity of determined challengers. :) This outta be fun to see what evolves.

...is it too late for me to make any potential part modifications? :blush:

Edited by drtricky

14 hours ago, Spearka said:

Your biggest issue here is that the X-Wings don't have chaff meaning their only defense against radar-guided missiles is through evasive maneuvers. In said fights the Thassa could secure wins by forcing the X-Wings to act defensively and shoot out of reach against its Vulcans.

So overall the X-Wing could be severely more powerful simply by adding ECM Jammers and Chaff.

In retrospect, the X-Wings won the first match due to its blinding speed and the reach of its Vulcan cannons, it could close the distance between it and the Thassa fast and didn't require it to be directly ahead to shoot.

@Spearka The new test using my latest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQYJLOcoSY

14 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

@Spearka The new test using my latest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQYJLOcoSY

Nice, it seems the X-Wings have almost reached the pinnacle of their capabilities.

As for the Thassas they look like a curious case. While having a much greater reach than the X-Wings the tracking capability of the 50.Cals are terrible, meaning they miss most of their shots and their quad vulcans are almost never used since their reach is nonexistent.

As far as I can see the only way I could improve the Thassa is to replace the hidden vulcans with mobile ones but they'd be a big eyesore among other things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.