Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

6 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@Enceos It would be very difficult to move the station, but it would reduce lag a lot. You're welcome to go for it, and I hope you succeed. I'm busy for the most part today, so you can have the save. I officially put myself in line for later, though. Can't say when.

Challenging missions are the only type which gives me an incentive to complete them.

Edited by Enceos

30 minutes ago, Ranows3 said:

Shoot, was creating a module for the MK2 section of the station consisting of a copula and the 6 way hub and a couple docking ports.  Oh well guess I'll think about something different

Now that I've looked at the updated save, my new module would actually work quite well there, with one minor alteration.  @Enceos, are you moving the station currently?  If so, I'll wait for you before I launch

Just now, Ranows3 said:

Now that I've looked at the updated save, my new module would actually work quite well there, with one minor alteration.  @Enceos, are you moving the station currently?  If so, I'll wait for you before I launch

Yep, just built my vessel and the game refused to launch it. Blocked the launch button in the VAB. I decided to save the vessel and restart the game, but the vessel didn't save because I forgot to put Ships/VAB folder into the save directory.

I'm rebuilding the vessel, its simple, will take me 30-40 mins to complete the mission from here, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@Jetski I finished lining up the center of mass of the station main thruster. Ready to burn. Do you mind if I add some inclination to the orbit?

If you can, I would prefer you try to keep the inclination near 0, it makes it easier for newer players to meet and dock in orbit.  If you're a bit off, don't sweat it, but a polar orbit would be a bit of a hassle.  Also, don't forget to take pictures of this epic operation.

Edited by Jetski

14 minutes ago, Jetski said:

but a polar orbit would be a bit of a hassle.

:D

Well, actually I can't burn now. I need someone to bring up 3 to 6 big reaction wheels and dock them to these ports.

hWyVj8B.jpg

The only usable reaction wheels I see on the station are from the two cupola modules, that's not enough to keep the burn stable.

Here's my savefile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mitj13ohkgnasdb/KSS.sfs?dl=0

Brief mission summary:

Edited by Enceos

2 hours ago, Enceos said:

:D

Well, actually I can't burn now. I need someone to bring up 3 to 6 big reaction wheels and dock them to these ports.

The only usable reaction wheels I see on the station are from the two cupola modules, that's not enough to keep the burn stable.

*snip*

Nice mission @Enceos, hope the reaction wheels work out

So, @Enceos needs to move the station. Right? Because adding anything else will change the COM. By the way, what kind of orbit are you thinking of moving the station to? I'm thinking 250km-ish, out of surface render distance, but still accessible enough. After @Enceos goes, I would like to if I have time.

34 minutes ago, Enceos said:

Thanks for the reaction wheels, they look just like what I had in mind. I started the burning mission.

Awsome.  Glad I could help.  Hopefully if I get the time tomorrow, I'll run the mission I had planned.  Good luck with the burn and post some good pics.

Burn finished. The new orbital values are:

Apoapsis 310km

Periapsis 297km

Inclination 0.1°

The save file is ready for the next launch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mitj13ohkgnasdb/KSS.sfs?dl=0

For some reason the pivot on my grappler decided not to work. I wanted to use it to fine adjust the thrust to the CoM, but had to resort to a lil cheaty way of burning. Pumped the orbit in short bursts and an offset thrust from the prograde vector. Used time warp to stop the rotation, adjusted the angle, rinsed and repeated.

I might do a station-keeping mission to align all the modules on the asteroid orthogonally to give the station a neat look. Cause I'm good at aligning things )

Edited by Enceos

My simplified crew transport is done. I had a little trouble with the LV, but I think I got it. Question: what orbit is the station in? 

Edit: I just looked at the current station, and I will need to send up an adapter for the ship for these reasons: 

1. the transport only has engines, not RCS. 
  2. I don't want to hit the station. 
  3. I might as well add capacity for 4 more Kerbals.
Edited by max_creative

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

My simplified crew transport is done. I had a little trouble with the LV, but I think I got it. Question: what orbit is the station in? 

Edit: I just looked at the current station, and I will need to send up an adapter for the ship for these reasons: 

1. the transport only has engines, not RCS. 
  2. I don't want to hit the station. 
  3. I might as well add capacity for 4 more Kerbals.

So it's not meant to dock but just be a crew rotation vehicle?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.