Inner Planets Mod - Development Thread

CaptRobau

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

A couple ideas for scatter: Puddles, on say Eve - have to have an atmosphere and a surface liquid, but could imply a constant rain.

Another would be a vent/geyser - this would need to be on a bit larger world with some geological activity, but doesn't need an atmosphere or surface liquid - just that there is something near the surface that could be heated to vaporize.  (So you could have nitrogen vents on one of Jool's moons, for instance, or carbon dioxide in places on Duna.)

In that case, maybe have a few puddles on laythe as well, since it also has an ocean.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to the challenge of landing on a Duna that doesn't have a surface that doubles as a night-light!

If I could throw in a few suggestions, though-

Ike- Since real-life Phobos is starting to get torn apart by tidal interactions as it approaches the Roche limit, I think it'd be really neat to see similar grooved terrain on the Duna- facing side of Ike.

Dres- I'm really looking forward to landing on your modified version, but- is there any chance you could keep it as more Ceres analogue, and add a separate Vesta equivalent (or  maybe even add  2 Pallas and 10 Hygiea equivalents too) ?  Please? I really want to fly a Dawn-alike probe using an ion engine to multiple different asteroid belt objects! :)

On 6/15/2016 at 6:19 PM, Cornholio said:

For procedural features, would caves (they don't have to be too elaborate) be possible?

Also, for Dres, can you add a bright reflective spot similar to that on Ceres?

Because of how KSP terrain works, caves are not possible in KSP without extensive plugins... thankfully, I think caves were planned for the Kopernicus Expansion mod.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4-6-2016 at 4:06 PM, theonegalen said:

Is it possible to make little huts or houses and have them scatter in certain areas to make towns?

I think Kerbal Konstructs already made that possible, but with PQS... maybe, but it'll require a model and a texture for a 'town' and apply it to the terrain as scatter with a very low density, but still, even in theory the chances of it working properly are small.

On 6/29/2016 at 2:00 AM, The White Guardian said:

I think Kerbal Konstructs already made that possible, but with PQS... maybe, but it'll require a model and a texture for a 'town' and apply it to the terrain as scatter with a very low density, but still, even in theory the chances of it working properly are small.

The problem I have with the KK / PQS implementation is how draining it is on performance, at least for me. Scatters are pretty performance-light.

Stuff like crystal clusters would be cool for scatter objects, Unfortunately there's not much other than rocks to be seen IRL on other planets so far. Now, all the KSP scatter rocks are just smooth weathered boulders, which doesn't make too much sense. Maybe some less weathered looking ones, with sharp edges or visible strattification? maybe some that look like meteorites on atmospheric bodies?

Edited by oniontrain

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 5:45 PM, SmashBrown said:

Thinking of adding an equivalent to Venus?

I'm planning on making Eve more like Venus, but still keep some of it's Eve-ness. No new planets.

On 7/10/2016 at 5:15 PM, electricpants said:

Make Dres 10x smaller than Ceres. It's more than twice that size, so it's not very realistic. So if you can, please make it about the size of Minmus.

I haven't thought about size reductions yet. It wasn't part of the original concept for the mod, but I'll look into it.

13 hours ago, Vysionone said:

@CaptRobau

Stupid request:

How about a captured "comet" (ice and dust moon) for Dres along with its rings? That would make it a lot more interesting, and Dres wouldn't be as lonely.

No new planets/moons. The mod is more about realizing a more fleshed out/interesting version of the original bodies, rather than really mixing stuff up with new orbits and radically different planets/moons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What happened to this? Very upsetting to see nothing has happened to this in a while. If complications occurred then I understand perfectly, but I was particularly excited about not having a "Glow-In-The-Dark" Duna, which to me was the only downside of it.

Not trying to rush development, just curious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.