What was the craziest thing that happened in KSP?

Wildcat111

So, what was the craziest thing that happened in KSP? The craziest thing that happened to me was when one of my creations started twitching in the middle of flight. Oh, right, POST YOUR SCREENSHOTS HERE!

Edited by Wildcat111

Craziest thing I can ever recall happened to this guy:

On 6/18/2016 at 4:27 PM, Madrias said:

I did a lot of my launches retrograde in that save (was kinda my personal challenge, to make things go up the hard way) and so my station, naturally, was in a retrograde orbit.  I think it was a 200x150km elliptical orbit (I didn't care too much about making my orbits neat, so I just got them close to nice numbers), and had plenty of things attached.

Then I stopped playing that save for a month or two while I focused on other things.

So when I came back, I looked at my map view, saw I had a space station already, and so I planned to build a new one (having forgotten the first was retrograde.  If I'd have remembered that, I would've put the new one up backwards as well), with an orbit of 200x150km with two intersect points, so that they'd always be on opposite sides from one another, and at no risk of collision.  I built my station in the best of ways known to 0.90: I built it all on the launchpad and yanked it up to space on a massive donut of fire, so I wouldn't have to waste my time with docking maneuvers.  It went up fully crewed, had provisions for docking, and ended up in space without much fuss.

Of course, I get to the point of finalizing my orbit, checking my map to see that both stations were on opposite sides of Kerbin, and decided to sit back and relax.  Figured I'd sit there and watch the random space junk whizz by.  Which is when I started remembering what save I was on, as most of the stuff I saw was really moving quite quickly as I saw it, and was hurtling in my direction against the planet's rotation.

And after enjoying a near-miss from a mainsail-double-orange booster that had been discarded, I saw something large approaching quite... well, rather fast.  I suppose the only reason I got an impact out of it was that the two stations are very large parts, and thereby when physics sputtered its way through "There's about 2200 parts that just loaded in, along with 1700 parts we were already watching, and they're going to crash" a couple frames must have had bits of station colliding.  Got a big explosion and a lot more space junk.

So, I figured I'd go try to rescue at least some of the Kerbals.  Sent up a rescue shuttle, got fragged near rendezvous by retrograde space trash.  Sent up a second rescue shuttle, got fragged near rendezvous by prograde space trash.  Stopped playing that one because there was no way to clean up that mess other than deleting way more debris than I wanted to do just to make a rescue mission possible, and for significantly less Kerbals returned safely, because there were a lot of Kerbals in labs and hitchhiker capsules.

But, I learned from that one:  Learn the orbital rules of your current save if you've not played it in a while before putting anything in orbit.

Edited by Corona688

Launching a rocket to Minmus without adding upper structural support. The upper part was quite tall and skinny, so when I launched it, it started shaking about. My rocket flipped over and got so wobbly that the payload that the rocket was taking up nearly smacked into the middle stage.

I already share it like a year ago now but it still is the craziest (and most stupid) thing that happened to me : I got a contract to rescue a guy on the Mun, everything was "perfect", with a landing site just about a minute of walking from the futur victime when the thrust from my Swivel blew the Kerbonaut capsule away, just to fall and kill him seconds after... 

I even sent my pilot to see if at least there was some remains.

Also, I just landed 3 things on Duna within 10m of each other. I AM THE PRECISION MASTER!!!

Yeah, so what one of them was a plane? And that the base tipped over? And that it took me five tries for the lander?

Seriously, though. I should go to Duna more often.

I've been having this weird glitch lately where decoupled parts are still considered a part of the ship. It can be amusing at times, watching a piece of debris suddenly turn on its engines and fly straight through your ship, or watching the struts act like ropes.

My most comical Eve mission failure:

Back in the pre-1.0-aero days, Eve-return landers needed to be a lot more massive than now.  I think the smallest I ever managed in those days was a bit under 200 tons, but my early ones were more like 300-400.  The big engineering problem was keeping them from snapping apart under their own massive inertia when landing.  Landing gear was a real problem, especially in my early days when I hadn't installed any mods yet and was running pure stock.

I designed a ship that used the long skinny girders as landing gear, since they have a really high impact tolerance.  Needed to put two girders end-to-end so they'd be long enough to reach the ground past my Mammoths.  There were a dozen of these girder-legs around the rim of my lander, rotated slightly outward so that it had a "splayed" stance.  So I landed on a mild slope, touched down without a problem, settled down onto the slope.  Thought I was home free.

Then the weight of the ship came down on the downhill leg, bending it at the knee joint between the two girders.  It slowly bent... and bent... until the "foot" popped loose and the leg snapped straight and lifted the foot off the ground.  Which put the weight of the ship on the next legs, which did the same thing, bend, bend, pop.  Repeat this process, in agonizingly slow but gradually accelerating motion.  Pretty soon the entire ship is scuttling downhill like some sort of deranged three-hundred-ton space crab.

Funniest thing I've ever seen in KSP.  Nothing I can do about it.  It keeps galloping down the hill for about two kilometers (really needed some music to accompany it, I'm thinking the Yakety Sax theme song from Benny Hill, or maybe something with banjos) until the slope finally levels out and the lander eases to a stop.  Unharmed, except for snapping off one of its twelve legs at the end of the run.  Which turns out to be the leg to which I had mounted all my ladder rungs, leaving my kerbalnaut stranded in his command pod with no way to get down to the surface to take a sample or plant a flag.

Oh well.

for me? it was learning that <via a youtube video and the mod it spoke of> there is a Squad developed, programmed set of code to give us superior re-entry effects that mimic the REAL THING. The fact that they programmed this and never enabled it just blew my mind away. Frankly nothing I have done myself or seen in any videos or screen shots is crazier than the fact they coded superior reentry effects only to never use them and leave us what what is clearly a place holder. crazy huh

I posted this yesterday and it was extremly weird.

This base with the fallen off part.
A6i32Ioh.png
Suddenly looked like this
EIaqp5fh.png
top is missing, the rover is gone and also the fallen off part.

Even weirder, then vising base again it was ok. 

Some time later this scan probe 
TCpVgxTh.png

Looked like this
ueh42T2h.png

It still worked but trust was way off center of mass.
AhVMcaDh.png
Engine is inside tank but works. 
FIxed itself on reload.

Perhaps even weirder was that a base on Gilly froze then the Eve orbital craft came near it while landed. base worked fine and it could dock with the orbital craft in orbit but landed froze it as soon as the other came within 2.3 km.
Reload did not solve this, ended putting the base in Eve orbit.

42 minutes ago, Snark said:

Funniest thing I've ever seen in KSP.  Nothing I can do about it.  It keeps galloping down the hill for about two kilometers (really needed some music to accompany it, I'm thinking the Yakety Sax theme song from Benny Hill, or maybe something with banjos) until the slope finally levels out and the lander eases to a stop.

That is absolutely amazing.  I'm not sure anyone else has made a stock walking-machine in KSP on purpose, let alone by accident :cool:

Edited by Corona688

9 hours ago, Snark said:

Funniest thing I've ever seen in KSP.  Nothing I can do about it.  It keeps galloping down the hill for about two kilometers (really needed some music to accompany it, I'm thinking the Yakety Sax theme song from Benny Hill, or maybe something with banjos) until the slope finally levels out and the lander eases to a stop.  Unharmed, except for snapping off one of its twelve legs at the end of the run.  Which turns out to be the leg to which I had mounted all my ladder rungs, leaving my kerbalnaut stranded in his command pod with no way to get down to the surface to take a sample or plant a flag.

Oh well.

I was attempting a SpaceX style landing with the Launchers Pack mod, but I landed on slope, and it started to crawl down the hill at like 2m/s!

My station exploded just today the second i loaded it. Half of it was fine, with 3 kerbs safely inside, but the other hab module was sent sub-orbital with 2 more. I only had time to EVA 1 of them to a life saving orbit, the other one plummeted toward kerbin with the broken section. I tried to skullbrake him but when he got out, he got stuck on a girder. RIP Matney Kerman.

On 7/13/2016 at 6:52 PM, Vysionone said:

I re-entered the atmosphere and my debree hit my pod after I deployed the parachute.

too much this

The weirdest thing for me was when I got pegged by a  empty double orange booster right in the middle of my semetrical station, and only the core module was destroyed.  my station got hit by like 2000 m/s debris and survived.  A fracking huge double orange.  I could see the outlines of where the fins hit.

22 minutes ago, FyunchClick said:

Well, there's this.

LOL, yes that would work, the old toy robots often used the same walk method. 
However I got the same downhill snap and preposition walk with landing legs on an eve lander. 
Its realistic, you could get the same effect pretty easy with lots of flexible legs with in real life.

Last week, teaching my daughter how to fly an early-career biplane.  After a few reloads (teaching valuable lessons like "that altimeter measures to sea level, not ground level") she was lined up on the island runway and coming down the glide path.  A bit steeply, it turns out, and slowing to a touchdown speed of about 40-45 m/s.

I coached her again about flaring above the runway. And braking. And killing her engines. She nodded, nervous, and glanced down at the controller to remind her where all those things were. She looked up, noticed how close to the ground she was, and ... panicked.

"Flare up," I reminded her.

She immediately yanked the pitch stick back, all the way to the stops. Bungled the engine cutoff and hit full thrust for a half-second. Yelped, then cut thrust and released the stick.

In that moment of confusion, the plane stood on its tail, killed all its forward speed (from drag), and hung, motionless, about a meter off the gravel runway. Then it thumped down on the tail and slowly toppled over backward.

Y9TN8Sf.png

Snapped off the vertical stabilizer, but nothing exploded.  Valentina walked away, completed the contract to visit the runway, and dined out on the story for weeks.

Edited by Zophos
Typos

The strangest thing that happened in my playing of the game was when I sent Roley Kerman out to the abandoned airfield island.

I drive around the airfield for a few minutes before the screen went black and the vehicle (minus everything except the Mk2 Lander Can and everything attached to the top of it) appeared thousands of kilometers above Kerbin and traveling at high speed away from it.

With his jetpack as the only means of propulsion I burned EVA'd Roley and burned retrograde until his fuel ran out, although I new there was no real hope of that working... just had to give it a try.

Eventually both Roley and his lander can disappeared from the Space Center display and a few days after that he reappeared on the roster.

Was a long time ago now during the 40 class diesel mainline days..where docking ports were still flexable

I forget her running number but a 40 class locomotive and a short range 3 car tanker train had been running hot for some reason and suffered a twin generator failure some 50km out from KSC.

With no batteries to speak of she became cold and dark quickly as the last of the power in the system drained on headlights.. As was usual in them days i didnt set the parking brake as she was on flat land..disembarked the kerbals and fired up a another train at ksc to rescue her

A nice eventless drive at moderate speed with the rescue train followed..engine at mid throttle having the reverberation arguement.. Calming 25 ms..terrain ups and downs flowing like a green sea.. With the distance counter slowly ticking down..

I got the rescue train near by shortly after..physics paused and struggled to load 2 trains but then settled..

Then..it happened..the striken 40 class loco started to slowly roll..possibly jolted by physics enough to push.. While she was on flat land..it was a plateu of hills nearby..sure physics would stop her at 600 meters but.. Its a long way for an unmanned train..

Before i knew it she was sliding down a hill nose first picking up speed..

No kerbals aboard and no way to stop the locomotive..

I take my trains seriously . This was a numbered loco..losing one is a big deal

Thankfully the rescue train much like her sistertrain was a 40 class too.

The design had couplings on front and rear.. The only way to stop the runaway was fly coupling..

Unstable terrain and unsafe speeds followed.. I fired up the locos engines juggling her own safety as well as the runaway..hitting 25ms on a diagional incline..careful steering on a knife edge of safety..

Eventually lining up the front coupling with the rear tankers coupling

4 trys later...success.. The camera centered..engines went to idle..she'd coupled!

A worthy epic moment of joy and tears (really...)

I slammed the rescue trains reverser into reverse and revved the generators to full redline rpm..both locomotives now feeding off just 2 engines started reversing..brakes were applied and the 2 trains stopped safely..

It was the most epic and emotional moment in KTP history id experienced.. Amazing stuff..purely so

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.