The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

1 minute ago, Andem said:

I missed this just like you missed my point. I like the new engines, but messing with the style of the game is just a bad idea, which is why I don't want to see them in the game. I'm trying to point out a real problem, and everyone is just blowing me off or deflecting.

I get what you're saying here, and I've heard others express similar in other venues.

I'm just not clear why you feel (as some others do) that these are so different from the current art style. For most people a rocket engine is a rocket engine is a rocket engine, these don't seem to be jarringly different from the current models aside from being a good bit prettier. They look good next to the stock parts shown, and to be completely frank I find mixing the current spaceplane parts with the rocket parts far more jarring in terms of conflicting art styles.

Caveat: Any discussion of art is subjective, and the above is just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Andem said:

I'm trying to point out a real problem

Not everyone agrees this is a "problem". I certainly don't; it's a great improvement to me. Most probably don't care.

3 minutes ago, regex said:

Not everyone agrees this is a "problem". I certainly don't; it's a great improvement to me. Most probably don't care.

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I get what you're saying here, and I've heard others express similar in other venues.

I'm just not clear why you feel (as some others do) that these are so different from the current art style. For most people a rocket engine is a rocket engine is a rocket engine, these don't seem to be jarringly different from the current models aside from being a good bit prettier. They look good next to the stock parts shown, and to be completely frank I find mixing the current spaceplane parts with the rocket parts far more jarring in terms of conflicting art styles.

Caveat: Any discussion of art is subjective, and the above is just my opinion.

*Sigh*

I guess you guys are right. I just hope that the update doesn't go running the aesthetic design off of a cliff.

26 minutes ago, Andem said:

*Sigh*

I guess you guys are right. I just hope that the update doesn't go running the aesthetic design off of a cliff.

Andem,
 We're not "right" and you're not "wrong". It's just a subjective disagreement where the majority happens to disagree with you or (at the very least) doesn't share your concern.
 Given that, there's no benefit to further discussion of the subject in the hype train thread.

Best,
-Slashy

2 hours ago, Andem said:

I just hope that the update doesn't go running the aesthetic design off of a cliff.

...where it will attain terminal velocity and suddenly lift upwards, even tho it was explicitly built in space and not meant for an atmosphere?

Sorry about that. Watched ST: Beyond this week. Found it boring and horrible. Train is chugging along and the engines look damn fine by me.

5 hours ago, Temeter said:

Having to open the navball on map screen every single time, even more so since the small button is hidden in windowed mode, is such a little annoying thing...

I know that this is kinda moot now that there will soon be an option to always have it open, but you don't have to click on the tiny button to open the navball. Just press "." on the number pad, it toggles the navball in both the flight screen and the map screen. 

On the subject of hype, after seeing the squadcast, and reading the thread discussing it, I'm very excited for this update! 

33 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

I know that this is kinda moot now that there will soon be an option to always have it open, but you don't have to click on the tiny button to open the navball. Just press "." on the number pad, it toggles the navball in both the flight screen and the map screen.

dang it >_>

3 minutes ago, Laguna said:

The Hype Train gets even more real:  On Saturday there is a 1.2 Experimentals stream marathon on Twitch, like there was for the 1.1 Experimentals:

Weird. This'll be the first one of these where I wasn't home sick during it. Amusingly, I won't even be home. Oh well :)

13 minutes ago, Laguna said:

The Hype Train gets even more real:  On Saturday there is a 1.2 Experimentals stream marathon on Twitch, like there was for the 1.1 Experimentals:

Cr8kTOrUAAAh1xZ.jpg

If this continues like with 1.1, then expect the public 1.2 Pre-Release on Monday. 

If those suits actually make it into the game, I'll be overjoyed. I also won't give a single excrements about the damn engines anymore. HYYYYYPE!

29 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Even with the Experimentals Marathon we're only at 44% hype!! This train can't even run with less than 30%. We need some more hype here.

I have some concentrated hype here I can use...

9807.gif

Oops... it isn't concentrated anymore.

I got a little something that might help but be careful, its my last bottle.

7114686623_787db8e748_z.jpg

9 hours ago, Laguna said:

Cr8kTOrUAAAh1xZ.jpg

If this continues like with 1.1, then expect the public 1.2 Pre-Release on Monday. 

Oh, yay, someone quoting times in non-US-specific formats.  And, so 1500 UTC, that's um... bugger, 1am.  Maybe the General Overview instead.

11 hours ago, Laguna said:

Cr8kTOrUAAAh1xZ.jpg

The thing is happening!

[Stream]: Even faster loading time. (10-15 second load time)

[Stream]: More Game Difficulty settings, including Comm Network, Advanced Settings, and Moddability for the Game Difficulty Settings Panel.

[Stream]: Quicksaving and Quickloading from KSC.

[Stream]: Weighted Contracts. Refuse Duna Contracts = Get Less Duna Contracts.

[Stream]: Some parts have been changed in their purpose.

[Stream]: O-10 "Puff" Monoprop Engine has been revamped, as has the little one-way RCS thruster.

[Stream]: 5 different Antennas. Antennas break in the atmo.

[Stream]: Advanced Tweakables: More Micromanagement, appears to be a system for changing the fuel flow among other things. It has to be enabled in settings.

-[Stream]: Parachutes can be set to Deploy Immediately, Deploy when Risky, Deploy when Safe.

-[Stream]: Autostrut allows for more rigid noodle rockets. Strut to Root Part or Heaviest Part.

-[Stream]: Aim Camera tool to point and click and any part! You can aim at launch clamps and control the ship after launch.

-[Stream]: Limit Pitch/Roll/Yaw for engines. (Was that actually new?)

[Stream]: Upgradeable parts in Career?

[Stream]: Quit to Main Menu from Flight.

[Stream]: Better, rewritten Aerodynamics. Seems to be more like FAR.

[Stream]: More Debug Menu Options.

-[Stream]: Stock Set Orbit tool. Default sets you to 87km Kerbin Orbit. Allow with rendezvous with asteroids or vessels. It's SemiMajorAxis, not Altitude. You have to account for the radius of the planet.

-[Stream]: Create Kerbals. Heck yes! No more config kerjiggering. Let's hope TextureReplacer mod will be able to modify this menu.

-[Stream]: Hack Gravity allows you to set the gravity to whatever you want. All the way from 0 to 10 Gees.

[Stream]: Experiment Storage Box. No longer require a Kerbal to go EVA to collect all the science from a vessel. It's a box-like shape. I hope we see a mod very soon that will give us a little conical capsule shaped return box.

[Stream]: Experimentals Bugs. :P

[Stream]: New Quality of Life General Settings. Turn off Auto-Hide in Map View, Change Default Pre-Launch Throttle, and more

6 minutes ago, Crocket said:

Why can't the update just GET here already?!

Because if it does everyone will complain about the bugs. :D

Seriously though, this update looks good. It will be worth the wait when it's ready.