So... How many Kerbonauts can remember the Apollo missions?

Bombaatu

*Raises hand* - Yep. I was five when Apollo 11 landed. I remember being at my grand-parents' house with various relatives, gathered around a small black-and-white TV watching Walter Cronkite getting all giddy.

There are many times when KSP rekindles the imagination of that small boy, so a HUGE thank-you to Squad for making this wonderful little game.

-16.5 here.... which makes me over 30 now.... ughhhh... time marches on, and I'll be telling my kids about life before the internet... life when it was cooler... life when there was hope, and how the hope died :P

I wasn't even around for the first shuttle launch.

The most date thing I can remember is the cold war... I remember asking my dad (an air force veteran) who would win if the US and Russia fought, looking for reassurance that we'd win... yet I only vaguely remember the events of the outside world of 1990 and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I'm pretty sure I remember Apollo-Soyuz (I was born before Apollo 11, but not by much).  I also think I saw (on TV) Skylab's launch (and didn't they use Saturn1bs to get to it)?

I always remember counting down "4...3.Ignitiion!.2..1..Liftoff" and was disappointed to learn that SaturnV (at least) didn't ignite at that time.  I wonder if the Saturn1b used to go to Skylab matched that, or I simply was paying much attention (I may have grabbed it easily from a fictional launch as well, things like "stowaway to the Moon" were popular at that time).

I watched the first moon landing. Or so I'm told. My mom swears it. I was about ten months old at the time. :) 

The first space mission I remember clearly was ASTP. There wasn't a whole lot of TV coverage, but I do remember watching what there was. We grew up about twenty minutes from JPL, my dad knew a guy that worked there, so we got copies of all of the press packets for the 70s and 80s JPL missions: Mariner, Viking, Voyager. Not sure where they wound up, my mom probably threw them away at some point. Probably worth some money now. 

Missed it ('75) but I grew up with the STS missions. My own kid will grow up with Space-X landings (she loves the 360° landing video), Osiris-REX, data from New Horizons and Juno, and who knows what else to come in the future.

I sort of remember it, it's mostly just an image as I was 18 months old at the time.  But I do remember having a space themed room with the curtains, sheets and covers.  I also remember watching a later Apollo launch around 1973-ish on the huget 16" black and white TV.

I was 7 at the time, and staying up to watch was wonderful! Of course none of us understood just how difficult the whole enterprise was, but the seriousness with which it was reported and commented on made me realise it was something extraordinary and incredible!

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

*Raises hand* - Yep. I was five when Apollo 11 landed. I remember being at my grand-parents' house with various relatives, gathered around a small black-and-white TV watching Walter Cronkite getting all giddy.

There are many times when KSP rekindles the imagination of that small boy, so a HUGE thank-you to Squad for making this wonderful little game.

I remember them, from the stories my Grandfather told me :P

Seriously, my father was still a child when they landed on the Moon.  My Grandfather tells me he built the computer cabinets in Mission Control though.  He didn't know what he was building when he welded them, but later he saw them on TV and recognized his work.

Edited by Alshain

I'm only 18, approximately the same age as the ISS. The only major events in space exploration history that I remember hearing about when they've been happening instead of learning as history are the decommissioning of the space shuttles, the New Horizons flyby of Pluto, and the development of the Falcon 9 rockets. But I'm hoping to be a part of the next Apollo-scale step forward in human space exploration.

48 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I watched the first moon landing. Or so I'm told. My mom swears it. I was about ten months old at the time. :) 

We must be about the same age.  My parents told me that they woke me up to see it and that I sat on the couch and pointed at the TV and said "Mam in Moom!"

I recall the later Apollo missions-- most likely Apollo 17, and of course the Skylabs and ASTP (I remember distinctly thinking that the Saturn Ib looked weird on Pad 39A with the "stool" platform under it), and I remember being upset that I'd have to wait four whole years till 1979 when they were planning to fly the Shuttle.   (Which of course turned into six more years...)

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

11 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I'm only 18, approximately the same age as the ISS. The only major events in space exploration history that I remember hearing about when they've been happening instead of learning as history are the decommissioning of the space shuttles, the New Horizons flyby of Pluto, and the development of the Falcon 9 rockets. But I'm hoping to be a part of the next Apollo-scale step forward in human space exploration.

The Columbia accident? The Curiosity landing? Those were within your lifetime, tho the Columbia one was a bit early. I was really shocked at that one. More recently, the antics of Rosetta and Philae, and the first Falcon 9 landings... o, boy!

Edited by monstah
(you did mention the Falcon 9...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.