[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

If you're willing to put in the time to update Eve into modern Unity shaders, I think there'd be an awful lot of happy folks.

A good place to start is to find out what SQUAD current has buried inside:

... although I'm certain this will change dramatically after they update to 2017.1, so perhaps it'd be better to wait until that drops?

15 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

If you're willing to put in the time to update Eve into modern Unity shaders, I think there'd be an awful lot of happy folks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "modern Unity shaders". The various shaders in EVE are the same as any other shader, just rather sophisticated. If you mean PBR or Surface shaders, I don't see how what EVE does would benefit from using any of Unity's PBR or Surface shader infrastructure (which are still just regular shaders, they just have chunks relevant to PBR pre-packaged).

so, it was confirmed in the latest dev notes that they will be updating KSP to support the new Shuriken particle system - probably when v4 rolls out sometime next year. Does that apply to EVE at all? The clouds are particles right? Honestly not sure - I've been aware of shaders ever since they hit the games industry but I never really took the time to understand them

4 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

so, it was confirmed in the latest dev notes that they will be updating KSP to support the new Shuriken particle system - probably when v4 rolls out sometime next year. Does that apply to EVE at all? The clouds are particles right? Honestly not sure - I've been aware of shaders ever since they hit the games industry but I never really took the time to understand them

Nope, the clouds are a custom EVE-specific system, with a shader that gets the color/alpha of the particle from the main/detail texture directly - meaning that no matter if there are clouds there or not, you pay to "draw" all the completely transparent particles.

14 minutes ago, Abpilot said:

its not behaving well with the new 1.3.1 update cuz it aint showin any clouds

Works fine with 1.3.1. Check that you installed correctly. Also, post logs and perhaps a screenshot of your gamedata folder. If you need help finding those files, click the red button in my signature.

Just now, Galileo said:

Works fine with 1.3.1. Check that you installed correctly. Also, post logs and perhaps a screenshot of your gamedata folder. If you need help finding those files, click the red button in my signature.

ok installed fine, triple checked and it still is broken, sorry don't know how to get photos

15 minutes ago, Abpilot said:

ok installed fine, triple checked and it still is broken, sorry don't know how to get photos

• Press the Print Screen key (next to Scroll Lock).
  • Open MS Paint then paste and save a JPG file (unless you're in Windows 10. If so, click the popup to see where it saved).
  • Upload it onto an image sharing service then get the share link.
  • Paste that link into a forum post.
  • Everyone gets to see.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:
  • Press the Print Screen key (next to Scroll Lock).
  • Open MS Paint then paste and save a JPG file (unless you're in Windows 10. If so, click the popup to see where it saved).
  • Upload it onto an image sharing service then get the share link.
  • Paste that link into a forum post.
  • Everyone gets to see.

ok thx will do now

12 hours ago, Space_taco said:

I keep getting "Failed - Forbidden" when trying to download , tried Google chrome and Microsoft Edge , for some reason I can't download it

I'm assuming you mean that you're trying to download EVE.  The link in the OP works for me, but I use Firefox (and that really should make no difference).

18 hours ago, Space_taco said:

I keep getting "Failed - Forbidden" when trying to download , tried Google chrome and Microsoft Edge , for some reason I can't download it

I've seen github temporarily block downloads if I try to get a lot of stuff in parallel (eg. a big update via CKAN). Just wait and try again.

3 hours ago, Jalaris said:

@Waz Is there any way to hide the E.V.E. button on the toolbar? Thanks!

No. Is it a big deal? I deliberately only enabled it on the KSC screen, as I agree - toolbar clutter is a problem when you're trying to fly a craft.

Quick question to anyone who can help: I'm trying to add the BoulderCo city lights to another EVE config pack that doesn't have city lights. I assumed it would be as simple as throwing the "citylights" folder into the other pack but it wasn't. EVE sort of recognized them but they were in red in the settings menu and they didn't appear in game. I'm sure with lots of trial and error I could get them working, but I was hoping someone who has done this before or perhaps is more familiar with the inner workings of EVE might clue me in and spare me the trouble of restarting the game a dozen or so times. (The pack I'm using is Sci-Fi visual enhancements if it matters.)

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Quick question to anyone who can help: I'm trying to add the BoulderCo city lights to another EVE config pack that doesn't have city lights. I assumed it would be as simple as throwing the "citylights" folder into the other pack but it wasn't. EVE sort of recognized them but they were in red in the settings menu and they didn't appear in game. I'm sure with lots of trial and error I could get them working, but I was hoping someone who has done this before or perhaps is more familiar with the inner workings of EVE might clue me in and spare me the trouble of restarting the game a dozen or so times. (The pack I'm using is Sci-Fi visual enhancements if it matters.)

Thanks in advance!

Did you also change the texture references in the cfg file in the CityLights directory you copied?

BTW, the BoulderCo city lights are pretty blurry and blocky. Have you seen the far cooler ones in SVE?

29 minutes ago, Waz said:

Did you also change the texture references in the cfg file in the CityLights directory you copied?

BTW, the BoulderCo city lights are pretty blurry and blocky. Have you seen the far cooler ones in SVE?

Nope, I certainly did not. I'll get right on that tomorrow morning when I play.

I thought SVE had city lights too but I wasn't sure, thanks for pointing that out! I'll definitely give them a try.

You da' man @Waz.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Is it possible to somehow manage the amount of clouds visible in Map mode? If i go to the tracking station the amount of coverage and scatter is such that I'm having trouble recognizing continents on the Kerbin surface:

wUT7-BE9mtrFRnzNcCOEhlnjeae6YY3-sQVaLLrt

I want to reduce the amount of clouds a bit so i can see what is down there on the surface :)

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Lan_Morehell said:

Hello!

Is it possible to somehow manage the amount of clouds visible in Map mode? ... I'm having trouble recognizing continents on the Kerbin surface:

Not without also affecting it in other views. The same could be said about looking at Earth from space, and NASA cannot tweak any Earth.cfg file. The in-game solution would be to use Scansat or the commnet scanner thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.