[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

I am used to RO, where I can make fuel tanks 50m wide and they cost 25 cents per ton. Without realfuels and RO the part selection is a bit sketchier, especially with tweakscale only working for some tanks and engines and the main stock engines not easily clusterable. 

And, due to a bug in mechjeb I have no clue how much delta-v my rocket has because it doesn't seem to believe that dropped stages will be removed from the rocket. This will be interesting - trying a launch now. Only 6840 tons - nothing too unusual for the equivalent of a mars mission. 

And I was at about 3 KM/s short of getting what needed to get there to Niven. 

I am going to test and see how much delta-v it takes to get into Niven orbit - I packed 8800 m/s for some reason and I think that is excessive. 

Also, most of Niven is 30km high now. Time to edit sigma lol

Edited by MaxL_1023

Ive not even gotten off Gael yet and I'm loving what I see. Its like a new game, thank you for this awesome work Galileo. I do have one inquiry. The saturation levels seem a little on the low side for my taste.

6YTfUGE.jpg

I feel the sun lit side of this space craft should be brighter. Unless maybe this is something wrong on my end?

The good news: I made it to Niven after trimming my lander - only needed a 4000 ton rocket!

The bad news: I landed in a lake. (I forgot to update to 1.02, also I forgot that flags don't work when wet. Everything else is fine though).

The sketchy news: My map view insists I am onshore, which fooled me the entire way down. 

It turns out...the lake was a lie.

(Shoot me into the sun)

1 hour ago, Motokid600 said:

Ive not even gotten off Gael yet and I'm loving what I see. Its like a new game, thank you for this awesome work Galileo. I do have one inquiry. The saturation levels seem a little on the low side for my taste.

6YTfUGE.jpg

I feel the sun lit side of this space craft should be brighter. Unless maybe this is something wrong on my end?

What JadeOfMaar said, plus, on page two of this thread, there's a tip for brightening things up a bit (scroll up a few posts from the one linked below and you'll find where you need to make the config changes):

I set mine to .75.  It's still dimmer than Kerbol, but bright enough that I don't feel like I'm in perpetual twilight.

7 hours ago, MaxxQ said:

What JadeOfMaar said, plus, on page two of this thread, there's a tip for brightening things up a bit (scroll up a few posts from the one linked below and you'll find where you need to make the config changes):

I set mine to .75.  It's still dimmer than Kerbol, but bright enough that I don't feel like I'm in perpetual twilight.

On a side note: Does that effect the output of solar panels? Do they even get their rated output in Gael orbit, or do they produce only 1/3 of that (proportional to brightness)?

10 minutes ago, Nobody6 said:

On a side note: Does that effect the output of solar panels? Do they even get their rated output in Gael orbit, or do they produce only 1/3 of that (proportional to brightness)?

<shrug> Don't know.  I always put a ton of solar panels on my ships anyway, as well as a lot of batteries.  I like overengineering :D

I have to report a 'slight' problem.

When I try to install GPP (v 1.0.2 on KSP 1.2.1, windows version), I still see the stock planets, but none of the GPP ones.

GameData Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vECEki9gEicmFKWHVWaUMyZXc

if needed,

output.log:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vECEki9gEiQ1V1Tzk4TjR1d00

KSP.log:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vECEki9gEiWHB6b1FyeDFCNkk

can anyone help me here?:wink:

Edited by SpaceColonist
missing data

19 minutes ago, SpaceColonist said:

I have to report a 'slight' problem.

When I try to install GPP (v 1.0.2 on KSP 1.2.1, windows version), I still see the stock planets, but none of the GPP ones.

GameData Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vECEki9gEicmFKWHVWaUMyZXc

if needed,

output.log:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vECEki9gEiQ1V1Tzk4TjR1d00

KSP.log:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vECEki9gEiWHB6b1FyeDFCNkk

can anyone help me here?:wink:

You are not on the latest KSP.

you are using

Kerbal Space Program - 1.2.0.1586 
Edited by Galileo

So many pretty views possible! http://imgur.com/a/6gWlF

I had to change Lili's gravity to .06 from .006, otherwise it flings you away if you don't use harpoons or grappling hooks... (due to the sheer speed it has to spin due to being tidally locked so near to Tellumo?) It's like Inaccessible from the Kragathea's old planetmaking mod, spinning too fast to realistically hold itself together. ... Or at least I think so. COULD it hold itself together? I don't like having to change the gravity, but I'm afraid of turning off tidal locking - I saw no setting for rotation speed, so I didn't just turn it off.

14 hours ago, MaxxQ said:

Thanks. Ill check that out.

Edited by Motokid600

59 minutes ago, TheUnamusedFox said:

So many pretty views possible! http://imgur.com/a/6gWlF

I had to change Lili's gravity to .06 from .006, otherwise it flings you away if you don't use harpoons or grappling hooks... (due to the sheer speed it has to spin due to being tidally locked so near to Tellumo?) It's like Inaccessible from the Kragathea's old planetmaking mod, spinning too fast to realistically hold itself together. ... Or at least I think so. COULD it hold itself together? I don't like having to change the gravity, but I'm afraid of turning off tidal locking - I saw no setting for rotation speed, so I didn't just turn it off.

Lili is small enough to be held together by the tensile strength of its material as long as it is a soild rock or metal - it can't be ice due to its distance from Ciro. Usually, bodies smaller than a few tens of kilometers are not that vulnerable to roche-limit disruption and are almost always super-rotating as their orbital velocity is so low. 

Usually, if it is large enough to be spherical, it will not hold together when super-rotating. Lili is smaller than that - I think even in RSS it would be under 100km wide. 

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Lili is small enough to be held together by the tensile strength of its material as long as it is a soild rock or metal - it can't be ice due to its distance from Ciro. Usually, bodies smaller than a few tens of kilometers are not that vulnerable to roche-limit disruption and are almost always super-rotating as their orbital velocity is so low. 

Usually, if it is large enough to be spherical, it will not hold together when super-rotating. Lili is smaller than that - I think even in RSS it would be under 100km wide. 

Ah, thanks, I was wondering if it could be something similar to that. But isn't Lili just a lump of accreted ring material? It's description is kind of uncertain - either remnants of a body or one forming from the ring. I wouldn't think a lump of dust could hold itself together at that kind of rotational speed, or am I missing something important?

22 minutes ago, TheUnamusedFox said:

Ah, thanks, I was wondering if it could be something similar to that. But isn't Lili just a lump of accreted ring material? It's description is kind of uncertain - either remnants of a body or one forming from the ring. I wouldn't think a lump of dust could hold itself together at that kind of rotational speed, or am I missing something important?

It is more likely that the rings were formed by material blasted off a proto-Lili which was somewhat larger than the current body. The gaps and ring structure would then be maintained by orbital resonances. 

It is also possible that Denser material in the rings accreted into Lili, while less dense material remained dispersed. The Roche limit depends on the material density - metal could accrete closer to Tellumo than rock, which would do so closer than ice. 

Tellumo should be inside of the snow line, so the most likely solution is Lili first, large impact, then rings formed from the ejecta. The ice dynamics you see with Saturn require a colder environment. 

Lili's super-rotation does suggest a violent past - it is difficult to spin up that much on your own. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

53 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

It is more likely that the rings were formed by material blasted off a proto-Lili which was somewhat larger than the current body. The gaps and ring structure would then be maintained by orbital resonances. 

It is also possible that Denser material in the rings accreted into Lili, while less dense material remained dispersed. The Roche limit depends on the material density - metal could accrete closer to Tellumo than rock, which would do so closer than ice. 

Tellumo should be inside of the snow line, so the most likely solution is Lili first, large impact, then rings formed from the ejecta. The ice dynamics you see with Saturn require a colder environment. 

Lili's super-rotation does suggest a violent past - it is difficult to spin up that much on your own. 

Huh, interesting. Well, regardless of it being realistically possible, unfortunately something like that isn't really playable in ksp currently - Using KAS harpoons to stay attached caused me massive lag due to repeated detach/reattaching to the surface, and upon timewarping/stopping timewarp, the winches all ripped off... Now that I know it's actually feasible it's an interesting body, but I'm still going to have to edit the thing so that a base can stay on the surface without horrible lag and bugs. I'm going to play around with disabling its tidal locking and try to make it rotate slowly, if I| can find a setting for that...

You can go into Lili's cfg file (It is inside the Tellumo folder) and set "tidallylocked" to false. You can replace that one line with this:

rotates = true
            rotationPeriod = Some Number longer than it's current orbital period
            tidallyLocked = false
            initialRotation = 0

If you set the rotationPeriod long enough it should hold on to your bases. I am not sure if it is stable with no rotation at all - to be pseudo-scientific I would set it to an integer multiple of its period, say a 1-4 spin-orbit resonance. 

11 hours ago, Nobody6 said:

The energy output of solar panels should be the same as in the stock game.

Although Ciro is much smaller in diameter than the stock sun, it has the same luminosity (or at least it should have).  It's smaller only because the stock sun is way bigger than it should be in relation to the other bodies.  Ciro's proportions are much more lifelike.

Edited by OhioBob

Loving this mod!  Just started a Sigma Dimensions GPP career on Sunday, just finished a flyby of Iota, and am now planning to scan that moon, to be followed by unmanned landings.  Once everything is verified safe and feasible for Kerbalkind, we'll be sending some grizzled veterans to check it out.

Here's a shot of my SCANSat / lander combo heading up.  Running 3.2x scale, 0.4 on the terrain ( results in 1.28x standard), no changes to atmo or clouds, and increased Ciro's brightness slightly to 0.6. Also running 71 other mods, including some I haven't used before or haven't used in a long time, like TAC-LS.  I'm really enjoying that feeling of discovery again, which I haven't had in quite a while.    

Well done, Galileo and Co.!

k85yuPB.png

I am sending probes to Tellumo in a 10x career - I had to cheat on the funds to afford the rocket. The contract wanted 3 landers plus a do-everything orbiter, and I needed the Oversize Signals Intelligence System just to have enough transmitter power (lol). Add in the requirement for 6 km/s of delta-v to enter a decent orbit (good luck aerobraking at 20 km/s) and I ended up with an 11,000 ton rocket.

Niven is about the largest body I can land a Kerbal on I think - Gratian might be too much to manage with a single launch. 

Edited by MaxL_1023