[1.9.x] NSS/OctoSat-SOAR Continued (Modular Satellites, Reusable launchers)

linuxgurugamer

On 11/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I just checked the files again and there is a B9PartSwitch config for fuel tank and texture switching and the combined FireSpitter/IFS patch as well.

B9PartSwitch is not mentioned in the OP as a new dependency, only this info does:
https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NSS/commit/7c078f21b612bf03a8565cf044e1ad4a80f2ba83

Some of the part configs already got a check for fuel switching

MODULE:NEEDS[!B9PartSwitch]
	{
		name:NEEDS[Firespitter,!InterstellarFuelSwitch] = FSfuelSwitch
		name:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch] = InterstellarFuelSwitch 

so I suggest that the first line in
GameData\NSS\TextureSwitch\NSS_MM_FSTextureSwitch2.cfg
needs to be changed to

@PART[OctoSat_*]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch|Firespitter,!B9PartSwitch]

Please test this and report back.

@Wragie I got none of your mentioned-above issues after my tiny change.
Before that change B9PartSwitch and either IFS or FS as well would have been applied to several parts - regarding texture switching.

B9 is not listed as a dependency because it is not a dependency.  It is, however, supported.

Looks like I’ll be adding your change in a final 1.7.3 release before updating to 1.8

20 hours ago, Wragie said:

New day back to the old issue. Definitely repeatable issue. I wonder what graphics it is depending on that is missing etc?

As I mentioned really bare bones install using zero graphics just parts and the RSS mod.

Which issue, the strange menu glitch?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Yup the menu glitch. I even tried to get a screen capture to show it but for some reason all that showed was a bare desktop image. If I install it again I will try to get a image.

After the cfg edit it worked once then the next day reappeared when I start up ksp again. I am not 100% sure but it seemed like the menus were not as bad after the edit. They are like someone randomly hit space or tab a few times. This affected only mod menus such as the mechjeb pull down or any of its sub menus when smartass is pulled up and used.

All I had to do is remove only octo and restart twice to fix it.

Whats really annoying is how big a booster I need now to launch equivalent stock part based probes and landers lol.

W

4 hours ago, Wragie said:

Yup the menu glitch. I even tried to get a screen capture to show it but for some reason all that showed was a bare desktop image. If I install it again I will try to get a image.

After the cfg edit it worked once then the next day reappeared when I start up ksp again. I am not 100% sure but it seemed like the menus were not as bad after the edit. They are like someone randomly hit space or tab a few times. This affected only mod menus such as the mechjeb pull down or any of its sub menus when smartass is pulled up and used.

All I had to do is remove only octo and restart twice to fix it.

Whats really annoying is how big a booster I need now to launch equivalent stock part based probes and landers lol.

W

Any chance that the fix was reverted?

I'm releasing a tiny update to fix this problem (based on messages above) before I do a 1.8 update.

New release, 0.1.13.4

• Fixed patch which was missing  ,!B9PartSwitch]

I just downloaded this mod from CKAN to try it out (v0.1.13.4 on KSP v1.8.1), along with all the dependencies that it wanted for installation (Module manager, interstellar fuel switch and BahamutoD animation modules), and there are some of problems with it:
- I don't see any different textures, all I have are the default gold.
- The survey scanner module doesn't deploy at all.
- The fuel tanks can't be filled with anything so there is no fuel capacity of any kind beyond the monopropellant reserves in the RCS thrusters.

After installing B9 Part Switch the problems with colours and fuel tanks were fixed, but the survey scanner still doesn't work- the colour switcher doesn't affect the door panel bit in the middle of its outer face, and clicking the deploy/retract buttons just makes them disappear and nothing happens. The version on CKAN is out of date as what's shown on GitHub is 0.1.13.5 and according to the changelog B9 part switch is required to get the texture and fuel switching- CKAN should be updated accordingly. 

I haven't had much time to give this mod a proper look but first impressions are good, it's an interesting concept and I think it might make it into one of my active career saves in the near future- just pretty please fix the resource scanner!

• 2 weeks later...

New release, 0.1.14

• Fixed deploy animation of the OctoSat_Sc_M900
  • Updated for KSP 1.8
On 12/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

The survey scanner module doesn't deploy at all.

Just fixed

On 11/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, zoaz123 said:

any chance there is a work around for the big antenna opening and closing constantly? i dont know if its cause i have remotech installed but when i press extend antenna or activate the dish just opens and closes over and over

Please identify the part, be specific

Would you consider adding a Side Dish Relay?  I don't want/need interplanetary power for most relays, and I run CommNet Constellation so I have several relay networks, and would like to have more than one dish per satellite.

I've patched one in (packetInterval=0.35 to maintain the common direct vs relay ratio), but the game keeps bugging me about the hash, so I'd be thankful if you decide it's an appropriate addition.

My file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqai8qlirb9vygf/OctoSat_Sc_SideDishRelay.cfg?dl=0

0uvccyS.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of things that I think should be adjusted for this mod:

The fuel tanks can hold more electric charge than the dedicated batteries. I find that very strange.

There's an optional add-on to Kerbal Atomics that converts all nuclear engines to run on liquid hydrogen, but the octosat fuel tanks can't hold this fuel. Any chance this can be added, even if it's dependent on having a mod installed that uses liquid hydrogen? (I tried a hacky patch but all that did was break them :()

A side relay would also be good, as would a little landing leg and a more compact, squarer solar panel- the existing one is very long, so not ideal for trying to land on uneven ground. OK, so using it as a lander isn't exactly what it was intended for, but it would be nice to have the option.

• 5 weeks later...

I think there's a problem with the patch to make OctoSat science parts work for contracts that require science parts on a vessel, in that it seems to make the OctoSat parts the ONLY science parts that are allowed in the contracts. The contracts specifically ask for the OctoSat parts rather than just asking for e.g. a thermometer or mystery goo canister, and as far as I can tell stock parts don't fulfil the contract requirements.

• 1 month later...

This is a cool little mod.  Modular satellite cores. 

The only thing that gets confusing is that almost all the modules default to the same gold color in the tech tree.  Granted, I have reflections turned on, so that doesn't help...  Besides turning reflections off, is there an easy fix for this?

8 hours ago, Probus said:

This is a cool little mod.  Modular satellite cores. 

The only thing that gets confusing is that almost all the modules default to the same gold color in the tech tree.  Granted, I have reflections turned on, so that doesn't help...  Besides turning reflections off, is there an easy fix for this?

Nope, sorry

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aivech said:

Attempting to use this mod on 1.8.1 (allegedly the latest version, according to CKAN), I can't change the colors of any of the parts.

You're probably missing a dependency, try installing 'Firespitter Core' and see if it works then.

On an unrelated note- the fairings around the gargantuan dish/relay don't seem to work right for me, they never change colour and they don't jettison when the relevant buttons are pressed. In addition, all the deployable parts (engines, solar panels, science bits etc.) will change colour but the parts that actually move will almost always stay the default gold colour, which often looks really out of place.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

3 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

You're probably missing a dependency, try installing 'Firespitter Core' and see if it works then.

I have that installed via CKAN.

EDIT: To be more specific, the parts are jet black no matter what color option I choose.

Edited by Aivech

tyvm for supporting this great mod, much fun has been had.

One thing I've just noticed, and I'll investigate more after work. Once you retract the octosat solar panels your vessel power usage goes up beyond what it was before they were deployed and stays at this new level for as long as I've tested.

I tested this at KSC launch pad and hyper edited Moho on a ship with 6 small fixed panels, batteries and a couple of the thin controller cores. Before deployment of OS panels the power from the fixed panels was enough  to keep the batteries topped up, once deployed and retracted power was draining at around 4 units per second.

This was the end of a longish session, I'll get a consise log back to you later in the day if you need it.

Thanks again.

8 hours ago, ecat said:

tyvm for supporting this great mod, much fun has been had.

One thing I've just noticed, and I'll investigate more after work. Once you retract the octosat solar panels your vessel power usage goes up beyond what it was before they were deployed and stays at this new level for as long as I've tested.

I tested this at KSC launch pad and hyper edited Moho on a ship with 6 small fixed panels, batteries and a couple of the thin controller cores. Before deployment of OS panels the power from the fixed panels was enough  to keep the batteries topped up, once deployed and retracted power was draining at around 4 units per second.

This was the end of a longish session, I'll get a consise log back to you later in the day if you need it.

Thanks again.

I tried to replicate this bug but am unable to do so. What version of KSP are you using, what version of OctoSat and any other mods installed?

ksp 1.8.1, Octosat 1.0.1.14.1

The log from this morning

http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Games/KerbalSP/ErrorLogs/KSPLog-27-04-10.zip

Quite a few mods I'm afraid.

Currently fixing ckan after I broke it after kerspersky broke it after Win10 update broke kerspersky . If I get things back together I'll try to make a minimum vessel. Don't lose any sleep over the problem, whatever it is I can always just keep the panels extended :)

~Edit~

While I remember, a short while back I changed..., as shown in OctoSat_Com_HalfTop to boost the reaction wheel for a moho landing

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleReactionWheel
        PitchTorque = 0.1
        YawTorque = 0.1
        RollTorque = 0.1
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.01
        }
    }

Edited by ecat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.